SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hounds72

Jan 10, 2017
Well I agree dean might not have improved the team through his coaching, he's been used as a scapegoat here. IVe said it before about other teams and the rotation they have in getting back to championships...I.e. London, Hamilton, etc. There are better systems out there. I think a fresh start for rafts somewhere and some new ideas for the Hounds could be a good thing

Reactions: DWI Dale

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I don't care who the coach was this year. Raftis built this mediocre team.
He's definitely not going to get fired because he has Lukendas full support, but he is to blame for either failing to rebuild, drafting poorly since 2018, or both.

Dean didn't work any miracles but his hiring was also Raftis' fault. HFP, you also hated Drew Bannister, another Raftis hire. At some point you'll have to acknowledge our problems are a direct result of the GM.

The chickens have come home to roost this year, and it was Raftis and Lukenda that made this mess.

Reactions: hounds72

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Raftis was just extended this past summer for 4 years. I can't see them swallowing that contract with 3 years still left.

Dean's contract is up however. If they were just going to extend him they would have done it already. Since they didn't this was probably a prove it year for him. Probably looking at a new head coach hire for next season now.

But Raftis has to also be feeling some heat. 3 years left on his current contract. If the next few season don't go well, look for his position to be the next vacancy to be filled.

Reactions: DeletedAccountt

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Raftis was just extended this past summer for 4 years. I can't see them swallowing that contract with 3 years still left.

Dean's contract is up however. If they were just going to extend him they would have done it already. Since they didn't this was probably a prove it year for him. Probably looking at a new head coach hire for next season now.

But Raftis has to also be feeling some heat. 3 years left on his current contract. If the next few season don't go well, look for his position to be the next vacancy to be filled.

My prediction is he empties our cupboards next year and takes a job somewhere in pro hockey the following season. Just watch!

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017

Yep, I agree fully. I think it's fair that they set a 3 year window here to win a championship and if unsuccesful, you move on.

Coach for sure this off-season is being changed.

My prediction is he empties out cupboards next year and takes a job elsewhere the following season. Just watch!

If we are host, sure, if not I think we see Barker and Kirill out of here!

Reactions: scotty171

scotty171

Sep 11, 2007
So if we don't get the hosting rights we aren't a championship caliber team, but if we win the bid we're going for it? What does that say about the quality of team we have going into the off season? lol
It just changes your mindset. You can be more aggressive in building your roster before the season even starts knowing that you are the host. If your not, you take the more traditional approach and see where you are at come deadline time. Hopefully Raftis has learned a few lessons and would sell off if they are in a position to do so.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
i'm not sure Raftis, Lukenda, or half our fanbase learned a damn thing to be honest. just look at the way the goalposts have shifted this year.

we started the year with "our drafting is good enough we don't need to rebuild" and "we will avoid the boom/bust cycle of junior hockey" and somehow ended up at "we always knew this was a down year" and "look how good we've been the last 10 years".

now next year we are one of two extremes -either all in or a complete rebuild. and the decision won't be based on whether or not we are a legit contender, but whether or not we're awarded hosting rights? what a gong show!

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
i'm just not a fan of the gaslighting and rewriting of history going on in defense of this reality.

if this is the organizations reality then i'd like to see some honesty about how we got here from the team and the fanbase. it wasn't John Dean.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

SSMHoundsFan

Greyhounds/FlamesFan
Dec 30, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
Two extremes based on an extreme situation that doesn't occur often. I don't disagree with you, but it's reality at the moment.
I agree that next season with either be a fill the cupboards or empty the cupboards year, will largely depend on the outcome of the bid....there's no looking at this year or prior years, this is the reality we are faced with at the present time going into next season

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Raftis has never filled the cupboards. Ever. To think that he is going to do it this year is hilarious to me.

Lukenda - "Hey Kyle, just so you know you have a 3 year window to win a championship or we are kicking you to the curb."

Raftis - "Sounds good Tim. My only shot at winning in the next 3 years is this coming season, but I have to completely empty the cupboards to get there. But here, let me just trade away my only shot at winning in the next 3 years, because it's sound asset management for the club. The next GM will come into the role with a great team in 26-27."

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Raftis has never filled the cupboards. Ever. To think that he is going to do it this year is hilarious to me.

That's why I feel like whether or not we get the bid, he's going all in. I believe he is still drinking copious amounts of his own koolaid.

1679931151998.png

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
there is alot more into deciding weather to go for it or selling off your top players :
1. if the hounds get the memorial cup bid, they have no choice but to go all in.
2. if they don't host, then you look at the conference : who from other teams is coming
back and expected to have a strong team. Did the west go all in this past season ? ( sarnia,
windsor, london ) for example, will they rebuild next season, giving your team a legitimate shot.
3. what do i have as my 3 overagers for next season, will they be the leaders in terms of scoring,
leadership, talent, etc... cuz history shows if you don't have a strong overage group on your team
most likely you don't have a go for it type of year.
4. how does our # 1 draft pick this year stack up ? will he have a big impact on the team ?
5. how does are import situation look like ? will we get someone to report with some talent ?
can we recruit a U.S. college committ type of player ?
6. how do our prospects look that will make the jump to the "o" next year ?
7. how does are goaltending situation look like ? history will again show if you do not have
a top notch goalie more then likely not a time to go all in.
8. how does the core of 19 year olds coming back look like, do we have enough talent to make
a run.
9. how many from our roster will be NHL drafted players. Here is a good indication of how talented
your team really is. History will also show that most teams who have 7-10 nhl drafted players on
there team when all is said and done are going all in.
10. do the players buy into what the coaching staff is selling ?
once you make an accurate assessment of questions above then you decide to make a
run or not.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017

Lukenda - "Hey Kyle, just so you know you have a 3 year window to win a championship or we are kicking you to the curb."

Raftis - "Sounds good Tim. My only shot at winning in the next 3 years is this coming season, but I have to completely empty the cupboards to get there. But here, let me just trade away my only shot at winning in the next 3 years, because it's sound asset management for the club. The next GM will come into the role with a great team in 26-27."
i actually think his best shot at winning would be in the 3rd year. We could get rid of Kirill and BMB this year for a haul, and by then, gibson, virgilo and whoever you get from the above trade will be 18 or 19 and ready for a run. Unfortunately, if we get the Mem cup, that all goes out the window and we have to wing it.

i'd love to host the cup but if we don't, it may be best case scenario for long term stability. going all in with a not all in team may put us back worse than we are now, and for longer lol.

raftis absolutely needs to hire a Vic clone and get back to the years of great drafts. we can't afford to miss on anymore first or 2nds. our last two drafts have been pretty rough in the upper rounds.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Connor Toms with 6 points in 44 games,-19 and 39 PIM at 19 years old is wild.

he's not progressed a single inch of talent during his time here and taking up a spot. lol.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
Acknowledging that I have a hometown bias, Barrett Hayton is a player that could be even better if his development wasn't stunted with limited play as a rookie. I feel the same about Jared McCann.
Very few 19 year olds are ready to play in the nhl. If they aren't let them be a dominant leader in the OHL.

A high pick is something every single one of us can be excited about.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Technically Toms just finished his 3rd season of eligibility in the OHL, better known as his 18 year old season. But yes, still expected much more from an offensive defenseman like him.

Reactions: BehindSooNet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad