SSM Greyhounds 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Have you watched the game play of these kids? Lol
Yes. I don’t know if I’ve seen Evans or not but every other one of them I’ve seen and I did pay attention to baby BMB and Virgilio. I’ve thought Virgilio was maybe a little bit over-hyped on this thread but was impressive and a steal at where the Hounds got him. BMB? Mostly non-existent which isn’t a bad thing for a 16yo but as I said…..if he was CURRENTLY that good, he’d be playing for a non-playoff team that will allow over 300 goals this year.

Reactions: DeletedAccountt

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Maybe the "no other choice" refers to promises made to the family. I haven't been as impressed by baby bmb for the record. I wouldn't call his NOJHL season tremendous by any stretch of the imagination. Right now he lines up 8th on next year's depth chart for me.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
As for next year's D corp.
1. gibson
2. kudryavtsev
3. virgilio
4. evans,
5. van de ven
6. (new overage )
7. new rookie "D" / 8. brodie McConnel Barker
I would look to move on from : ( If at all possible via trade )
a. carlisle
b. toms
just seen too many mistakes this season and as 19 year olds for next season, don't see
any impact these 2 will have.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
there has been grumblings that the hounds made the selection to appease the McConnell-Barker family. at the same time, if the hounds org has a great relationship with the family then i totally get that.

even as a rec hockey coach i sometimes pick players based on parents more than player ability because sometimes the superior player has awful parents. :)

for what its worth I haven't been that impressed with Viriglio yet either.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Yes. I don’t know if I’ve seen Evans or not but every other one of them I’ve seen and I did pay attention to baby BMB and Virgilio. I’ve thought Virgilio was maybe a little bit over-hyped on this thread but was impressive and a steal at where the Hounds got him. BMB? Mostly non-existent which isn’t a bad thing for a 16yo but as I said…..if he was CURRENTLY that good, he’d be playing for a non-playoff team that will allow over 300 goals this year.

Sorry was only talking about BMB and Evans

I think a lot has to do with the limit of 16 year olds you can have on a roster.... he was solid when called up in my opinion ( BMB2)

I remember people said the same about Kirill too. Non existent on the ice...

for what its worth I haven't been that impressed with Viriglio yet either.
Another example. Kirill in his first year was timid, non existent and I actually remember people saying he would be garbage.

Bmb2, Virgilio, Gibson, Evans will all be names you will be impressed with by the end of their OHL careers.

As for next year's D corp.
1. gibson
2. kudryavtsev
3. virgilio
4. evans,
5. van de ven
6. (new overage )
7. new rookie "D" / 8. brodie McConnel Barker
I would look to move on from : ( If at all possible via trade )
a. carlisle
b. toms
just seen too many mistakes this season and as 19 year olds for next season, don't see
any impact these 2 will have.

Agreed. I don't see Carlisle or Toms sticking around long, hosting or not hosting.

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
I think virgilio has been really good as a 16 year old. Tough to play high minutes. He's made mistakes for sure but that's expected. I will defer judgement on him till next year.

Bmb looked good in the games I've seen in the NOJ, hopefully that will carry over next year. We really really need to hit on our 1st, 2nd and import tho. Otherwise it won't matter who we bring back lol

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Maybe the "no other choice" refers to promises made to the family. I haven't been as impressed by baby bmb for the record. I wouldn't call his NOJHL season tremendous by any stretch of the imagination. Right now he lines up 8th on next year's depth chart for me.
You have awfully high standards. He's over a point per game and has played excellent defensively.

He's leads 06 defensemen in points and is 2nd even when you include forwards. I'm not sure what more you could expect from a player.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
You have awfully high standards. He's over a point per game and has played excellent defensively.

He's leads 06 defensemen in points and is 2nd even when you include forwards. I'm not sure what more you could expect from a player.
He’s a 3rd round pick, so making the OHL club isn’t an unreasonable ask for a 16yo. So it seems like he’s had a great rookie season in the NOJHL. I know the league and some of the team names but I’m not familiar with it. What comparable D had strong 16yo seasons in the NOJHL and went on to success in the OHL in the recent past?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
He’s a 3rd round pick, so making the OHL club isn’t an unreasonable ask for a 16yo. So it seems like he’s had a great rookie season in the NOJHL. I know the league and some of the team names but I’m not familiar with it. What comparable D had strong 16yo seasons in the NOJHL and went on to success in the OHL in the recent past?
Andrew Gibson had a similar season last year and now looks like an NHL draft pick. Robert Calisti also took the same path. Medric Mercier and Owen Headrick also saw substantial time there.

Having a great season in the NOHJL in the age 16 season and succeeding in the OHL would be the rule, not the exception. The Greyhounds have had plenty of players go there and flop, but Brodie has been excellent. I'm not saying he's a future star or anything, but all signs point to a top 4 guy going forward.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Sorry was only talking about BMB and Evans

I think a lot has to do with the limit of 16 year olds you can have on a roster.... he was solid when called up in my opinion ( BMB2)

I remember people said the same about Kirill too. Non existent on the ice...

Another example. Kirill in his first year was timid, non existent and I actually remember people saying he would be garbage.

Bmb2, Virgilio, Gibson, Evans will all be names you will be impressed with by the end of their OHL careers.

Agreed. I don't see Carlisle or Toms sticking around long, hosting or not hosting.
But by the end, it’ll be too late! ;)

• Haha

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
But by the end, it’ll be too late! ;)

From a stand perspective maybe but this is still a development league haha

$5 children tickets for tonight. Bring out your family to support...and see Shane Wright lol

2 members of committee will be taking in our game after touring the city!

Come on SSM hold it together for 24 hour...nothing bad, nothing bad. lol JK.

Reactions: BeliveauFan4ever

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
attended my first game in person in a few months. they worked hard but lack the skill to make plays and finish. lots of dump and chase, lots of crashing the net, but very little skill at forward. watching them dump the puck from centre ice ON THE POWERPLAY was very frustrating. i'm glad this season is almost over.

#prayforRutger

1679105415745.png

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017

hounds72

Jan 10, 2017
Good job by the kids. Finished the season strong.

It's a shame Duarte and Thompson never got a chance to have a playoff run somewhere. Very solid players.

Any chance of new GM next season?

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
Don't think we will see a new G.M., However, way back in September knowing that the
hounds would have a young team, i mentioned this will be John Dean's toughest coaching
job in the time he has been hear , and how he makes out with this particular group will
show how good a coach he is, as for me in my opinion he has a failing grade for the job
he did this season. In a league where it's seems to be weaker in comparison to past seasons,
( in terms of high end talent & strong teams overall )
there is no way the hounds should not at least made the playoffs as far as i am concerned.

DeletedAccountt

Oct 14, 2017
Don't think we will see a new G.M., However, way back in September knowing that the
hounds would have a young team, i mentioned this will be John Dean's toughest coaching
job in the time he has been hear , and how he makes out with this particular group will
show how good a coach he is, as for me in my opinion he has a failing grade for the job
he did this season. In a league where it's seems to be weaker in comparison to past seasons,
( in terms of high end talent & strong teams overall )
there is no way the hounds should not at least made the playoffs as far as i am concerned.

I feel like if they were extending his contarct we would have heard of that news already, no?

Good job by the kids. Finished the season strong.

It's a shame Duarte and Thompson never got a chance to have a playoff run somewhere. Very solid players.

Any chance of new GM next season?
No GM. Despite the hate from posters, I am a Raftis fan.

I'll post the same post I posted on the fan page:

Well, the season is over but there is still A LOT to look forward to this week!

The draft lottery will take place on Wednesday, March 29th at 6:00PM ( 2023 OHL Priority Selection Draft Lottery to take place Wednesday, March 29 – Ontario Hockey League ). That event will also be stream lived on CHL TV.

The Greyhounds will have a 20% chance of getting 1st overall. Niagara Ice Dogs finishing last will have a 40% chance, Erie Otters will have a 30% chance and the Kingston Frontenacs will have a 10% chance.

We are also still awaiting the announcement of who will host the 2024 Memorial Cup! It is expected the announcement will be this week, with some speculation of it happening on Wednesday also.

We are ready to host! We all know what this city is capable of! Let's go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad