Social Media Septic Tank Thread

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
What does a resurgent season look like for him? He's floated between 0.8 and 1.0 ppg over a season in 7 of his 9 seasons. And his monster year came in his contract year, which always makes me leery as there is a such a huge motivation factor that I think it skews that seasons a little.

Even with Bedard there I struggle to see him consistently playing up to last years (obviously) or 18/19s standard. Not that he is a bad player by any means but I'm fine with the Flyers not paying 9.75 for a 29 year old undersized winger who is super reliant on shiftiness and a quick first step to create separation. Especially since he would likely be at least 32 by the time the Flyers open up a real contention window.

All that signing would do in my opinion is hang them more firmly in no man's land.

It's the one place Fletchers incompetence I think helped the team.

But I’m not upset that the Flyers don’t have Gaudreau, if the plan is to actually rebuild. I’m saying that Gaudreau is still an elite player — I firmly believe he is not a 0.8 point/game talent — and Columbus could be well poised to actually rebound and get value out of his contract. He’s only 29; his track record is not reducible to one contract year. And I don’t buy the contract year talk — he’s doing about the best he can on a bottom 3 team in the league with no help. If we believed a young 30s Giroux could be a core piece here, I don’t really see why this is different. Frankly, the best thing to accidentally happen to Columbus, after signing Gaudreau, could be having an injury plagued horrific year.

Last edited:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

93f.jpg

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The thing none of them ever ask is whether or not the players want to be part of it. Because his point only ever works if the answer is yes. And my guess with Hart and Provorov is that it’s no

There’s a pretty good correlation between those that complain about the Sanheim, Ristolainen, Couturier, etc. extensions now advocating that you can’t trade guys like Provorov, Konecny, & Hart.

I think with Provorov the writing is on the wall. I think he’s gone regardless this summer with the player potentially facilitating his departure. Konecny & Hart you do have another summer after this one but these guys with two years of contract certainty is more valuable than one. So you do have to weigh that if you don’t think you &/or them are potentially interested long term. Konecny & Hart are coming off strong seasons this year as well so you’d be selling with their play pointing up opposed to others who aren’t.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
There’s a pretty good correlation between those that complain about the Sanheim, Ristolainen, Couturier, etc. extensions now advocating that you can’t trade guys like Provorov, Konecny, & Hart.

I think with Provorov the writing is on the wall. I think he’s gone regardless this summer with the player potentially facilitating his departure. Konecny & Hart you do have another summer after this one but these guys with two years of contract certainty is more valuable than one. So you do have to weigh that if you don’t think you &/or them are potentially interested long term. Konecny & Hart are coming off strong seasons this year as well so you’d be selling with their play pointing up opposed to others who aren’t.
Konecny I can see sticking it out because he's going to get 1st line ice time, and you ultimately do need bodies while you usher in young players. Hart, I think teams are going to want, especially a year before his deal comes up. I can't think of many goaltenders who stick out rebuilds and maintain their form. The time to move him is this summer - in this draft. Teams will want him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Konecny I can see sticking it out because he's going to get 1st line ice time, and you ultimately do need bodies while you usher in young players. Hart, I think teams are going to want, especially a year before his deal comes up. I can't think of many goaltenders who stick out rebuilds and maintain their form. The time to move him is this summer - in this draft. Teams will want him.

Who knows in the past these guys have stuck around when they probably shouldn’t have but the team was also selling promises of a “retool”. If you’re legitimately saying & doing things that suggest you’re multiple years away at a minimum does that change things for these guys?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The lack of self-awareness in that last sentence is startling lol

They literally picked twice in the top ten during Hextall’s tenure. The highest one was a jump from like #13 to #2 in the lottery. The other was #7.

If you want a legit chance at amassing enough young potential high end talent you pretty much need to be selecting in the top 5 every year for like a 3-5 year range. That’s your best probability bet which the Flyers never did even under Hextall.

Legit rebuilding teams not only volume draft outside the top 5-10 but they also have their high picks. The Flyers never had both at once. That’s essentially why you mostly drafted good top 4D & top 6F at best without really much top line talent during Hextall’s era. Of course you can hindsight draft but in reality it was flawed plan from a probability standpoint in the first place. Hextall has to really beat the odds against him & he didn’t.

But a good chunk of Flyers fans don’t understand probability & range of outcomes when it comes to drafting. That’s why Chicago tore the roster down to studs & auctioned everything off with value to get picks & make their current team worse so they’re within distance of that top 3 range. I get people don’t like it but that’s essentially the system NHL has created with their current salary cap & CBA.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
They literally picked twice in the top ten during Hextall’s tenure. The highest one was a jump from like #13 to #2 in the lottery. The other was #7.

If you want a legit chance at amassing enough young potential high end talent you pretty much need to be selecting in the top 5 every year for like a 3-5 year range. That’s your best probability bet which the Flyers never did even under Hextall.

Legit rebuilding teams not only volume draft outside the top 5-10 but they also have their high picks. The Flyers never had both at once. That’s essentially why you mostly drafted good top 4D & top 6F at best without really much top line talent during Hextall’s era. Of course you can hindsight draft but in reality it was flawed plan from a probability standpoint in the first place. Hextall has to really beat the odds against him & he didn’t.

But a good chunk of Flyers fans don’t understand probability & range of outcomes when it comes to drafting. That’s why Chicago tore the roster down to studs & auctioned everything off with value to get picks & make their current team worse so they’re within distance of that top 3 range. I get people don’t like it but that’s essentially the system NHL has created with their current salary cap & CBA.

Yep, and just about every Cup winner the last 15 years has had to go this route to build a winner. The teams that committed fully to it have been rewarded with multiple Cups (LA, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay). Colorado also committed to it and it worked. Boston is the only team to have sustained contender status without going this route and it took extraordinary drafting (which also means a bit a luck) to achieve that. It's also now been 12 years since that Cup win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad