Social Media Septic Tank Thread

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Here's my Ray Shero rant........

The most singularly blatant Flyers legacy hire, that would make the now former advisors fist pump, is already reason enough for a hard no. When Fletcher was canned in Minnesota, he was hired by Ray Shero to be HIS advisor in Jersey.

Shero's coaching hires have consisted of (extending) Therrien, Bylsma, Hynes. Dud after dud over 13 years.

Yes, he won the single Cup with the Penguins. But he joined the organization after they already had Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury, Gonchar, etc. -- if you can't build a Cup team with that, you're f***ed. Huzzah that he got handed the keys to the best core in the league. Him drafting Staal (over Toews and Backstrom), and acquiring Cooke, Satan, Gill aren't what I'd hang my hat on to his master builder status. Those Penguins teams were in a bad place after that win, solely because of Shero sinking the ship with bad decisions on top of bad decisions, and their back-to-back Cups in 2016 and 2017 took Shero getting fired.

Fast forward to the Devils. They finished 20th, 28th, 15th, 29th, 26th (fired midseason). Anyone who says he orchestrated their rebuild is a fool. That team never had a consistent rebuild plan; they just floppy fished around in perma-mediocrity like your dear Flyers. They had two flukey 1st overall wins (how can you credit the manager for that?); the rest was basically a bubble aspiring patchwork team, with win now moves that barely worked once, then reality struck. Sounds familiar. Yes, he made the Hall trade, drafted Bratt in the 6th (hey, Fletcher drafted Kaprizov in the 5th!), but the rest was slop. Zacha pick by the same guy who drafted Staal 2nd -- mostly mediocre draft classes. Once again, as soon as he got canned, the Devils new management actually supplemented the roster well. They're a contender in spite of him -- he didn't even acquire a single defender they have today -- and because of the horseshoe he kept up his ass.

Ray Shero and Chuck Fletcher are the same person. Worst timeline.

JojoTheWhale

Lusting Stromboli
May 22, 2008

I’d never do something like that but I hear from Brian and Sean that it’s fun.

The worst version of these “I can fix everything” posts are the ones that fill a checklist. There’s no thought of actual responsibilities or hierarchy. It starts with a list to be filled in as the thoughts come. Then it gets too hard to find actual roles for the names you have left, so you get shit like “Advisors”/various hockey ops.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
JohnnyG should be glad he didn't sign with the Flyers. It's going to be a rough couple of years but I think it'll be far more tolerable since there should at least some kind of plan in place.

Columbus has a very good chance at adding Fantilli/Bedard; I assume Jiricek is in the NHL next season (maybe Svozil pushes late); Werenski will return; super talented Kent Johnson could have a big 2nd year; they have nearly $15MM in cap space this summer (we'll see the cap in/out with Kev); they also likely have the Kings 1st to use any which way. Would it really be surprising if Gaudreau has a resurgent year with that talent, and Columbus is in the wild card race? Unlike the Flyers, they really have optionality and a way back on track quickly to utilize a 30 y.o. Gaudreau.

Ad

Ad

Ad