Social Media Septic Tank Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Every one of those songs I listed are songs that I have enjoyed for decades. We are on the same side of this fence. A main talking point from this guy in the 10 mins I watched he was talking about how Fruscianti played a lick 8 times, so that means it was bad.

Neil Young played a ONE NOTE guitar solo in Cinnamon Girl. And that song rules.

My bottom line with music is people should like whatever they want. Everyone has different interests and niches and avenues that they're drawn to for whatever reason. But for every song someone proclaims is bad there are a handful or more songs that person listens to that share the exact same characteristics. People like what they like, that's why music is great. But miss me with the hypocrisy.

Ah, my mistake, I should have watched the video so that I understood what you were saying.

You're saying the exact same thing. He just said it semi-sarcastically. I will say, independent of taste, the musicians in RHCP are masters of economy/groove while being wildly talented, not that I'd point to that song. I think DP's point was wildly talented musicians still often trade in similar simple progressions. You could do a 40 minute video ripping "Smells Like Teen Spirit," if this is the extent of the argument. Cobain was a master at using the architecture of pop songs. It's why criticizing that is missing the entire point (a point that applies to movies, etc.). Usually what it boils down to is this: a song is popular, trading on things that make music popular, ipso facto it sucks. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, factor in taste, but that's never the reason.

I'll admit that I'm not a RHCP fan. First and foremost, I don't enjoy Kiedis as a vocalist or lyricist, and my tastes tend to run more towards power pop and folk than funk, but I can't deny talent. Regarding Cobain, you could teach literally anyone to play Drain You. It's still an absolutely perfect song that couldn't be improved by an army of songwriters.

I wrote 2 songs in college, one of which I realized had a progression that was similar to "Shine On Through" by Elton John. Years later, Birdy put out a single that also carried a similar chord progression. (something about a river. For someone who nerds out about music as much as I do, I am so bad at titles)

Does that mean we're all bad? Or does that mean we're all as bad as just me? Or does that mean we're all as good as Elton?

One of my early songwriting forays used a chord progression that I then later realized was quite similar to that in Bulletproof...I Wish I Was. Melody was somewhat similar, too. To this day I can't hear that song without feeling a bit of cringe, which is a shame since it's a lovely song and obviously so much better than whatever the hell I was doing. Incidentally, my wife was playing it the other day (she likes the National a bit, but she LOVES Radiohead) so I told her, and then she burst out laughing and rolled her eyes.

She keeps me humble.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
One chord is fine. Two chords are pushing it. Three chords and you're into jazz.” -Lou Reed

I love that man.

I usually enjoy Charlie's work (even with an opinion that's usually different than mine) but this article is something else.

I don't love that man.

(This reminds me of the Provorov breakout stuff. It turns into proselytizing instead of just being happy. It's ok to just be happy.)

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
"
I usually enjoy Charlie's work (even with an opinion that's usually different than mine) but this article is something else.

it's high time for doubters to acknowledge everything that has gone right"

what is he smoking!!!???

How can someone say Briere did EVERYTHING RIGHT?? That Homer lvl fanboyism! My respect for Charlie fell from good to bad. But this is Jamie Baskow lvl shiT!!

OMG CHARLIE!

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
"

it's high time for doubters to acknowledge everything that has gone right"

what is he smoking!!!???

How can someone say Briere did EVERYTHING RIGHT?? That Homer lvl fanboyism! My respect for Charlie fell from good to bad. But this is Jamie Baskow lvl shiT!!

OMG CHARLIE!
It’s not saying that Briere did everything right but wanting to point out all of the things that Briere did do right.

Reactions: BernieParent

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville

Not Flyers related but it popped on my feed & deserved to be here anyway. :laugh:

As much as we dump on the Flyers, it's obvious that this mentality extends well beyond them in this league and the sport in general. What's this guy play, like 10-12 minutes a night? Pretty sure the top team in the metro, who were there before he came in, will be just fine.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not since the Trade
1710299735722.jpeg

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I wrote 2 songs in college, one of which I realized had a progression that was similar to "Shine On Through" by Elton John. Years later, Birdy put out a single that also carried a similar chord progression. (something about a river. For someone who nerds out about music as much as I do, I am so bad at titles)

Does that mean we're all bad? Or does that mean we're all as bad as just me? Or does that mean we're all as good as Elton?

I wrote a song in 2013 that was a pretty straightforward progression flavored with my usual sound: slight overdrive, subtle palm mutes and quaking tremolo. In 2018, I decided to try out Lorde's Melodrama record when I was drunk on an airplane headed to Vegas for work. When the plane landed and I snapped awake, the song "The Louvre" was just starting and I instantly recognized that the first 45 seconds of that song were the exact same chords played in the exact same inflection with the exact same guitar tone as the tune I'd put together in 2013. Do you know what that means? I'm Lorde.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad