Social Media Septic Tank Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The National is Joy Division for less cool 30-40 somethings who love them some brunches and poetry slams. I don’t like shaming people; I try to be understanding. So, I say they’re not bad but fine and put on some Siouxsie Sioux.

I am very much into shaming fans of The National. Aside from their Sad Dad music, their lead singer is a drunk turd.

You won me back with Siouxsie though.

Reactions: mja and Magua

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I am very much into shaming fans of The National. Aside from their Sad Dad music, their lead singer is a drunk turd.

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 10.47.14 PM.png

Nvm. Shame away.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I am not a National hater, they have some good songs, but Matt Berninger is responsible for one of the worst Chvrches songs.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
@Magua, check out a YouTube video “What makes this song stink?”. Dani California version, if you have a minute.
I love shit like this. People will make videos like this then listen to Let It Be like it's not just a 4 chord piano ballad in C major with a guitar solo. And then the next song they listen to is Bad Moon Rising. That one has 3 chords and the most basic strumming pattern and back beat of all time. There aren't even any inversions! The next song they'll listen to is Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, a wildly repeative Zeppelin song off their first record, famously "ripped" just like this guy says about Dani California. The "ripping" argument is one I particularly enjoy, but we don't need to get into that

What I'm trying to say is all of these people are wildly talented musicians and songwriters and don't deserve to be called bad. If it's not what your ears and brain like to hear, then that's perfectly fine. This is a distinction that everyone needs to find it within themselves to make.

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
I love shit like this. People will make videos like this then listen to Let It Be like it's not just a 4 chord piano ballad in C major with a guitar solo. And then the next song they listen to is Bad Moon Rising. That one has 3 chords and the most basic strumming pattern and back beat of all time. There aren't even any inversions! The next song they'll listen to is Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, a wildly repeative Zeppelin song off their first record, famously "ripped" just like this guy says about Dani California. The "ripping" argument is one I particularly enjoy, but we don't need to get into that

What I'm trying to say is all of these people are wildly talented musicians and songwriters and don't deserve to be called bad. If it's not what your ears and brain like to hear, then that's perfectly fine. This is a distinction that everyone needs to find it within themselves to make.
This guy I know is definitely talented and hilarious. If you’re familiar with Strand of Oaks, he sometimes tours with. Anyway, something I thought I’d mention for a possible chuckle.
If I really want to get into earnest song analysis, I might look at a Monk or Billy Joel tune. Lots of harmonic meat to chew.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
@Magua, check out a YouTube video “What makes this song stink?”. Dani California version, if you have a minute.

Two things..

Pat Finnerty is a Philly legend and cool as shit. What Makes This Song Stink is a must watch for me on the rare occasion he drops a new one.

Second, Dani California does in fact stink. Awful song by an otherwise great band.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
This guy I know is definitely talented and hilarious. If you’re familiar with Strand of Oaks, he sometimes tours with. Anyway, something I thought I’d mention for a possible chuckle.
If I really want to get into earnest song analysis, I might look at a Monk or Billy Joel tune. Lots of harmonic meat to chew.
Naw it was a good video. He definitely plays things up for the laughs and I enjoyed it even if I don't agree with his thesis.

Reactions: Audible Velvet

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
Two things..

Pat Finnerty is a Philly legend and cool as shit. What Makes This Song Stink is a must watch for me on the rare occasion he drops a new one.

Second, Dani California does in fact stink. Awful song by an otherwise great band.
I crossed paths with Pat back when he was in Scranton. Mutual friends/musicians. Definitely a good dude and a true individual

Reactions: Rebels57

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
The Sisters of Mercy and Clan of Xymox over Joy Division for me. And still love The Smiths dammit. Pump the majority of classic alternative right into my veins.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

One chord is fine. Two chords are pushing it. Three chords and you're into jazz.” -Lou Reed

See, I have a hard time with your first paragraph. The premise seems to be simple = bad & complex = good, or at least complex can't = bad because it's complex, or should be spared from criticism because it's complex. I disagree. A simple 3 chord pop song can hit emotionally the same way a simply but beautifully prepared plate of pasta with 3 or 4 ingredients can hit your palate: pure pleasure; whereas a complex song can fall completely flat, be forgettable or even outright unpleasant, the same way an over-complicated fusion dish trying to do too much can miss out on why people eat food in the first place - because it tastes good. While this is only my opinion, being a wildly talented musician does not at all save you from making bad music.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Two things..

I know I'll probably get ripped for this, but I really don't like much RHCP after One Hot Minute. I like the funkier vibes. Obviously, there are some good tunes they put out following that (Dani California does suck), just not my taste.

Reactions: wankstifier

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
One chord is fine. Two chords are pushing it. Three chords and you're into jazz.” -Lou Reed

See, I have a hard time with your first paragraph. The premise seems to be simple = bad & complex = good, or at least complex can't = bad because it's complex, or should be spared from criticism because it's complex. I disagree. A simple 3 chord pop song can hit emotionally the same way a simply but beautifully prepared plate of pasta with 3 or 4 ingredients can hit your palate: pure pleasure; whereas a complex song can fall completely flat, be forgettable or even outright unpleasant, the same way an over-complicated fusion dish trying to do too much can miss out on why people eat food in the first place - because it tastes good. While this is only my opinion, being a wildly talented musician does not at all save you from making bad music.
Every one of those songs I listed are songs that I have enjoyed for decades. We are on the same side of this fence. A main talking point from this guy in the 10 mins I watched he was talking about how Fruscianti played a lick 8 times, so that means it was bad.

Neil Young played a ONE NOTE guitar solo in Cinnamon Girl. And that song rules.

My bottom line with music is people should like whatever they want. Everyone has different interests and niches and avenues that they're drawn to for whatever reason. But for every song someone proclaims is bad there are a handful or more songs that person listens to that share the exact same characteristics. People like what they like, that's why music is great. But miss me with the hypocrisy.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

You're saying the exact same thing. He just said it semi-sarcastically. I will say, independent of taste, the musicians in RHCP are masters of economy/groove while being wildly talented, not that I'd point to that song. I think DP's point was wildly talented musicians still often trade in similar simple progressions. You could do a 40 minute video ripping "Smells Like Teen Spirit," if this is the extent of the argument. Cobain was a master at using the architecture of pop songs. It's why criticizing that is missing the entire point (a point that applies to movies, etc.). Usually what it boils down to is this: a song is popular, trading on things that make music popular, ipso facto it sucks. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, factor in taste, but that's never the reason.

The "ripping" argument is one I particularly enjoy, but we don't need to get into that

"I wrote a song with this progression in high school" or saying "this is how they should have done the bass" are just wooooooosh statements to me, said partially for effect or not. And if you're going to use those arguments, there's better choices than some of the most talented musicians on their instruments to ever do it.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
I wrote 2 songs in college, one of which I realized had a progression that was similar to "Shine On Through" by Elton John. Years later, Birdy put out a single that also carried a similar chord progression. (something about a river. For someone who nerds out about music as much as I do, I am so bad at titles)

Does that mean we're all bad? Or does that mean we're all as bad as just me? Or does that mean we're all as good as Elton?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad