Social Media Septic Tank Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Briere hasn’t been the GM for a full year yet.

But I think it’s leaning more positive than negative.

His FA signings have worked out. The Provorov trade was a win, especially with Walker’s play. Handled Gauthier situation well. Rizzo (de facto) for DeAngelo. His first draft looks great with Michkov, Bonk, Barkey.
I don't think the Provy trade was bad...I'd give it somewhere around a soild B. There's no way you can convince me they knew what they where getting with Walker at the time of the trade. I thought he could have gotten more for taking on Peterson. That would have been an A+ move.

DB may have gotten value for Gauthier, and I was never a huge fan of Gauthier, but I you're also forgetting that he's part of the reason why Gauthier soured on the Flyers in the first place. And, quite frankly in this scenario, I don't have enough information to say they navigated well or poorly.

I'm one of the biggest Rizzo fans on the board - been watching him for months. But, I'm not convinced he's an NHL player. I think he has NHL tools and want to see him in the AHL. With that being said, I like the fact they traded for him, but it doesn't make it an A+ move.

For a rebuilding team, you basically have to draft Michkov at 7. If they passed on Michkov, they would have been criticized. Doesn't make it a bad pick, but doesn't make it an A+. I would much rather have Perrault than Bonk. Of course it's awesome to see Bonk and Barkey scoring at awesome rates, but they are also on a historically awesome team. And scoring in basically all leagues are going up.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Friends, I am deeply saddened to bring you this news. I must report myself in this thread as the hack fraud that I am.

My wife was going through a bunch of boxes I've had in storage for 15-20 years in the hopes of finding a bunch of my concert shirts. Well she did find those, but she also found other things.

Before you look at it, please let me just say that I know exactly where this came from and I am absolutely positive that I got it for free. I CANNOT TURN DOWN FREE. I'M WEAK, OK?

20240220-191714.jpg

20240220-191731.jpg

@Striiker I give you enough shit. Do your worst. I deserve it.
Can we get a full foot pic?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think the Provy trade was bad...I'd give it somewhere around a soild B. There's no way you can convince me they knew what they where getting with Walker at the time of the trade. I thought he could have gotten more for taking on Peterson. That would have been an A+ move.

DB may have gotten value for Gauthier, and I was never a huge fan of Gauthier, but I you're also forgetting that he's part of the reason why Gauthier soured on the Flyers in the first place. And, quite frankly in this scenario, I don't have enough information to say they navigated well or poorly.

I'm one of the biggest Rizzo fans on the board - been watching him for months. But, I'm not convinced he's an NHL player. I think he has NHL tools and want to see him in the AHL. With that being said, I like the fact they traded for him, but it doesn't make it an A+ move.

For a rebuilding team, you basically have to draft Michkov at 7. If they passed on Michkov, they would have been criticized. Doesn't make it a bad pick, but doesn't make it an A+. I would much rather have Perrault than Bonk. Of course it's awesome to see Bonk and Barkey scoring at awesome rates, but they are also on a historically awesome team. And scoring in basically all leagues are going up.
The Provorov trade has to be at least an A. They took advantage of two desperate GM’s and got a good player and two high picks in a league where evidently no one was being traded that offseason.

Reactions: Curufinwe

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
The Provorov trade has to be at least an A. They took advantage of two desperate GM’s and got a good player and two high picks in a league where evidently no one was being traded that offseason.
I don't agree it has to be at least an A. It was good for sure, I'd give it a solid 85 -- that's a good trade. The thing that prevents it from being great are kind of two-fold:

- The two second rounders were futures Obviously traded one to get up in the draft last year. I have to imagine that Columbus will use this year's 2nd rounder and flex to next season. I don't know where that ends up.
-They didn't just trade Provy for that. They also Cal Peterson as a cap dump. Up to that point, it was extremely difficult to dump salary. LA shed ~5M for Helge Grans and a future second rd pick.

I wonder what type of value they had for Grans - Did they think he was worth something, or is he just a dump -- I don't really know.

Again, it was a good trade and they got value returned, but not A IMO.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I don't agree it has to be at least an A. It was good for sure, I'd give it a solid 85 -- that's a good trade. The thing that prevents it from being great are kind of two-fold:

- The two second rounders were futures Obviously traded one to get up in the draft last year. I have to imagine that Columbus will use this year's 2nd rounder and flex to next season. I don't know where that ends up.
-They didn't just trade Provy for that. They also Cal Peterson as a cap dump. Up to that point, it was extremely difficult to dump salary. LA shed ~5M for Helge Grans and a future second rd pick.

I wonder what type of value they had for Grans - Did they think he was worth something, or is he just a dump -- I don't really know.

Would it be an A for you if Briere gets a 1st for Walker?

Reactions: Striiker

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

Well, my point isn't and wasn't that Briere has stepped in and done some kind of mind-blowing job.

It is that he's only been GM for less than a year and there are more positives than negatives. Really not much to complain about, and a lot of things have worked out rather well. Hell, it's the end of February and they are in a playoff spot that no one anticipated.

GMs rarely step in and immediately make massive differences, especially in this recent flat-cap NHL era with its constrained player movement. It takes time to truly judge a GM, especially because drafting is a big part of the job.

But you do seem very begrudging with your credit. That's fine, but if he hasn't met your expectations in less than a year on the job, I think your expectations may be too high.

I'm not sure why you say Briere contributed to Gauthier's decision not to sign. We don't know that. There have been different rumors. Briere himself said Gauthier was the one who told the Flyers he was going back to college. And both Jones and Briere have said that Gauthier was indicating a refusal to sign just a few months after the draft, when Jones was still broadcasting and Briere was still assistant to the regional manager. I don't think it's fair to assume Briere is at fault for Gauthier's change of heart.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

2 2nds and a prospect is basically a 1st, plus whatever you think of Walker. Personally, I was high on Walker so him returning at least another 2nd would’ve been another win before the season

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
They targeted Bonk big-time before the draft. It was obvious he was always their guy at 22. That instantly diminishes that return as the most important piece. Grans is a nothing.

A 2025 2nd (Columbus isn't sending it this year) and a 2024 2nd from a likely playoff team. Maybe they get a 2nd for Walker -- maybe they re-sign him. That story isn't finished. Certainly, at the time, he was a smart target. They also took on $5MM x 2 years for an AHL (!) goalie -- it wasn't just Provorov going out for positive assets. I remember when the Flyers needed to attach a (high) 1st for 1 year of JVR. Petersen is such a negative asset it can't be overstated.

I know home run trades, and that ain't it. It's about as "B" a move as it gets, and they're doing their best to not maximize what they got.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Well, my point isn't and wasn't that Briere has stepped in and done some kind of mind-blowing job.

It is that he's only been GM for less than a year and there are more positives than negatives. Really not much to complain about, and a lot of things have worked out rather well. Hell, it's the end of February and they are in a playoff spot that no one anticipated.

GMs rarely step in and immediately make massive differences, especially in this recent flat-cap NHL era with its constrained player movement. It takes time to truly judge a GM, especially because drafting is a big part of the job.

But you do seem very begrudging with your credit. That's fine, but if he hasn't met your expectations in less than a year on the job, I think your expectations may be too high.

I'm not sure why you say Briere contributed to Gauthier's decision not to sign. We don't know that. There have been different rumors. Briere himself said Gauthier was the one who told the Flyers he was going back to college. And both Jones and Briere have said that Gauthier was indicating a refusal to sign just a few months after the draft, when Jones was still broadcasting and Briere was still assistant to the regional manager. I don't think it's fair to assume Briere is at fault for Gauthier's change of heart.
My point in my original post wasn’t that he was bad; it wasn’t even about DB personally. It was a response , to Charlie’s post about analytical community of flyers fans. Specifically it was rationale, using analytics, as to why I am not particularly optimistic about the future (don’t read this as pessimistic either — I guess I am more of the middle ground). The main point is that they need to pick up more talent to be a contender, and I don’t think Michkov will be enough. They already have decent depth, which is why they have good xGF%, so it’s going to be hard to improve in those areas. They have room to grow on D, however.

But, since they have basically said they are not planning on building with 2-3 pieces of elite talent, they will have to do it thru aggregate, which requires savvy maneuvering by the GM. DB has made some decent to good moves, and I agree he hasn’t been here long enough to fully evaluate him as a GM. The issues that I have seen, if you want to call them that, are the moves he’s made have been only good. He got value for Provy, but Provy was valued around the league. I wish he got a touch more. He got value for Gauthier, but Gauthier was valued around the league. I do wish he got a touch more, but given circumstances he did well enough. He signed Tipp to a decent contract that he will likely live up to. He signed Poehling. Hes done some good stuff. In fact I would say so far he’s been good. A solid B!

But it goes back to the point of how hard the avenue they are attempting to go down. They want to build a perennial Stanley cup contender without lots of elite talent. It’s possible, sure, but I haven’t seen enough to think their path will yield those results. Of course my opinions can change over time, and I think this TDL will be telling. We’ll see.

Reactions: Chicken N Raffls

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
2 2nds and a prospect is basically a 1st, plus whatever you think of Walker. Personally, I was high on Walker so him returning at least another 2nd would’ve been another win before the season
I guess I just disagree.

2-2nds 1 and 2 years away is not 2-2nds two weeks away. That value is different.

for sure about Walker, but did you think he would garner a 2nd at the time of the trade?

Reactions: FLYguy3911

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I guess I just disagree.

2-2nds 1 and 2 years away is not 2-2nds two weeks away. That value is different.

for sure about Walker, but did you think he would garner a 2nd at the time of the trade?
Yes, I believe I said it at least once, as long as he stayed healthy. I was effusive on targeting him last summer. Playoff teams always want RHD, and there’s a chance we hit the Tampa lottery.

Reactions: VladDrag

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
My point in my original post wasn’t that he was bad; it wasn’t even about DB personally. It was a response , to Charlie’s post about analytical community of flyers fans. Specifically it was rationale, using analytics, as to why I am not particularly optimistic about the future (don’t read this as pessimistic either — I guess I am more of the middle ground). The main point is that they need to pick up more talent to be a contender, and I don’t think Michkov will be enough. They already have decent depth, which is why they have good xGF%, so it’s going to be hard to improve in those areas. They have room to grow on D, however.

But, since they have basically said they are not planning on building with 2-3 pieces of elite talent, they will have to do it thru aggregate, which requires savvy maneuvering by the GM. DB has made some decent to good moves, and I agree he hasn’t been here long enough to fully evaluate him as a GM. The issues that I have seen, if you want to call them that, are the moves he’s made have been only good. He got value for Provy, but Provy was valued around the league. I wish he got a touch more. He got value for Gauthier, but Gauthier was valued around the league. I do wish he got a touch more, but given circumstances he did well enough. He signed Tipp to a decent contract that he will likely live up to. He signed Poehling. Hes done some good stuff. In fact I would say so far he’s been good. A solid B!

But it goes back to the point of how hard the avenue they are attempting to go down. They want to build a perennial Stanley cup contender without lots of elite talent. It’s possible, sure, but I haven’t seen enough to think their path will yield those results. Of course my opinions can change over time, and I think this TDL will be telling. We’ll see.
They are a young team loaded with players who were 1st and 2nd rd picks. Sometimes I think that gets ignored by the fanbase who says trade everyone for 1st and 2nd rd picks.

We have different opinions. Contrary to popular opinion, I don't like arguing too much and I respect different perspectives. All good. You may end up right!

Reactions: VladDrag

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
"I probably wasn't a great analytic guy either but It also doesn't contribute to the good times in the locker room or on the road so you're not getting that in analytics."

In the end he says, "...just get a real job." referring to people who work in analytics for NHL teams because they work on computers all day and he doesn't understand their importance.

He played a game for fun to make a living, and he has the audacity to tell people to get a real job? I truly don't want to know what his definition of what a "real job" is.

This guy is so out of touch with the sport and reality. I really hate Yandle and the shitstain he was when wearing O&B. A pox on the club's history.

And yet, he was still boasting about his incredible "lockerroom presence". I want to vomit, but this coffee I'm drinking is too expensive to waste.

He's in my head, for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad