Confirmed with Link: Slafkovsky, Guhle, Harris and Xhekaj made the team!!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Yep

Lighthearted
Sep 12, 2009
Planète XY 1000 Z
Xhekaj - isnt he the first player in NHL history, with name beginning with X? Or were there others?

Capture d’écran 2022-10-11 082005.jpg

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I'm slightly irritated, but at the same time blown away how it's pronounced as Jack-eye. :)
I remember my father not wanting to draft Kotkaniemi JUST because he didnt want to learn how/have to say his name all the time :laugh:

He just calls Xhekaj "#72" lol

What if he looks good after 9 games? Say passes the eye test with 2-3 goals and 5-6 points?
Then you can kiss Drouin or Dadonov good bye lol

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
When it comes to development and rookies making the team, we can't make definite general assumptions based on the past. Each situation and individual has to be evaluated properly.

We won a Stanley Cap in 1986 with 6 rookies, who significantly contributed. Had we made a general sweeping statement like "we can't have too many rookies on the team", we would've never won the cup.

I don't care what happened to KK or Galchenyuk or anyone else. What happened, happened to them. Slaf, Guhle, Harris and Xhekaj should be evaluated on their own, and if there's stagnation or regression, then send them back to Laval. If they show that they belong and are progressing the right way, then they stay.

Decisions should be based on a constant evaluation of their play, not the past or what happened elsewhere.

Yep

Lighthearted
Sep 12, 2009
Planète XY 1000 Z
When it comes to development and rookies making the team, we can't make definite general assumptions based on the past. Each situation and individual has to be evaluated properly.

We won a Stanley Cap in 1986 with 6 rookies, who significantly contributed. Had we made a general sweeping statement like "we can't have too many rookies on the team", we would've never won the cup.

I don't care what happened to KK or Galchenyuk or anyone else. What happened, happened to them. Slaf, Guhle, Harris and Xhekaj should be evaluated on their own, and if there's stagnation or regression, then send them back to Laval. If they show that they belong and are progressing the right way, then they stay.

Decisions should be based on a constant evaluation of their play, not the past or what happened elsewhere.

The Habs 1986 lineup had many rookies, but also some amazing leaders. We have amazing deadwood. But I do agree that there are no universal recipe in regard to rookies and the development strategy should be evaluated and adapted on a individual basis.

Capture d’écran 2022-10-11 084649.jpg

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

That is also an assumption based on the past. The 1985 Habs were top 5 team in the league, the 2021 Habs were dead last. Weird comparison to make when everyone knows this team is going to be bad.

We'll see how this management will handles their struggles but to me it's a bad sign that all these rookies are starting with the team. This is how the Sabres handled their rebuild and IMO even if they manage to develop it creates core that's used to losing. Little positive from them being up the entirety of this season.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
The Habs 1986 lineup had many rookies, but also some amazing leaders. We have amazing deadwood. But I do agree that there are no universal recipe in regard to rookies and the development strategy should be evaluated and adapted on a individual basis.

View attachment 592428
That is also an assumption based on the past. The 1985 Habs were top 5 team in the league, the 2021 Habs were dead last. Weird comparison to make when everyone knows this team is going to be bad.

We'll see how this management will handles their struggles but to me it's a bad sign that all these rookies are starting with the team. This is how the Sabres handled their rebuild and IMO even if they manage to develop it creates core that's used to losing. Little positive from them being up the entirety of this season.
Those rookies were also mostly forwards (with the exception of Mike Lalor, who was joining a D-brigade containing tons of experience and skill, and two future HHOFers; Lalor only had to be 6th D-Men on that squad), and that's a significant difference.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002

I would suggest that if these young players can't overcome the struggles that comes with a re-building team then perhaps they aren't the players we want going forward. As one pundit once wisely wrote: You have to learn how to lose before you can learn how to win. As long as these players can compete at the NHL level then they should stay. Competing for an extra 5 or 7 minutes a game against inferior competition in the AHL will not enhance their development. But it has to be a player by player assessment and evaluation. I think some of these young players may surprise.

Last edited:

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Byron Bader is an idiot who doesn't factor in Slafs international play from his draft year because it's too hard to incorporate it into his model.

I wouldn't call him an idiot, its just that his model is very simplistic. It looks at league production and literally nothing else. The flaws in the model are most obvious when you looks at the actual players he thinks are "stars" in the NHL and who are not.

It has value, but his content is not nuanced or critical enough to have use beyond twitter-posting.

None of Slafkovsky, Guhle, Harris and Xhekaj are guaranteed to stick with the team the whole season and Slafkovsky in particular probably only made the team because of injuries. If he's not playing up to snuff he'll probably go to Laval. Which is fine.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I would suggest that if these young players can't overcome the struggles that comes with a re-building team then perhaps they aren't the players we want going forward. As one pundit once wisely wrote: You have to learn how to lose before you can learn how to win. As long as these players can compete at the NHL level then they should stay. Competing for an extra 5 or 7 minutes a game against inferior competition in the AHL will not enhance their development. But it has to be a player by player assessment and evaluation. I think some of these young players may surprise.
How do you know? It's been proven successful for a lot of players...including this organization. You are basically describing the failed development mantra that we've seen with Bergevin, if they were ever going to make NHL, they'd make it regardless and figure it out in NHL. What is there to gain by trying to get them to NHL as soon as possible when the team is going to be so horrible? Even if we use the logic that they'll make the NHL regardless, why would you waste an ELC year from Slafkovsky during a lost year? There's so much more downside from having Slaf/Guhle/Xhekaj up early than we have to gain.

Harris, I don't care as much because he played 4 years in NCAA and will turn 23. Historically, there are lot of players who jump from a 22/23 year old NCAA grad to NHL.

Last edited:

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I don't think we need to be particularly worried here. There's clear roster holes with Armia/Byron and Matheson/Edmundson out for now and none of the veteran forwards/veterans retained to be #7-8D did anything to earn a spot. If Guhle, Harris, and Xhekaj are significantly outplaying Scheuneman I don't see the harm in giving them all a shot to open the season.

If they stay up all year playing limited roles then yeah I won't be thrilled about it, but they've all played well enough to earn at least a cup of coffee to start the year. Xhekaj and Harris will likely spend some time in the AHL as well, but with Edmundson injured it's pretty difficult to argue Guhle as anything lower than our #2D with Matheson in the lineup as the #1.

As for Slafkovsky again, none of the depth forwards really did anything to earn a spot and we'll see what happens. 10 days ago I would have said he should start in the AHL but he's been a lot better in the last few preseason games, and with Armia/Byron out he's outplayed any of the other vets and I don't see the harm in giving him a chance to earn a spot.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
How do you know? It's been proven successful for a lot of players...including this organization. You are basically describing the failed development mantra that we've seen with Bergevin, if they were ever going to make NHL, they'd make it regardless and figure it out in NHL.
My position is based on the premise that these young players can play at the NHL level. After years (decades?) of watching flawed teams, I would prefer watching the uncertain promise of talented prospects than watching the certain mediocrity of the host of journeymen that would be playing in their stead.

Reactions: Wats

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
Play the kids if they're in the NHL over scrubs that are clearly worse than them.

Give the kids significant minutes in the minor leagues and AHL if they are not sufficiently developed to make it in the NHL or learn and improve, or have a great deal to learn at a lower level, like all three of the ones who "made it."

This is not the "gotcha" observation that you appear to think it is, but an inability to engage in categorical or nuanced thinking on your part.
Exactly what I wanted to say but I didn’t feel like explaining it. Good job. Nice drive by attempt but the gun jammed on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad