Confirmed Trade: [SJS/NSH] Yaroslavl Askarov, Nolan Burke, 2025 COL 3rd round pick for David Edstrom, Magnus Chrona, 2025 SJS/VGK 1st round pick (top 10 conditional)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
As some have stated nobody in this trade has proven anything but I think this trade on paper favours Nashville.

The got the 32OA pick from 2023, what could be a middle to late first rounder depending on how well LVK play plus another goalie prospect.

Sharks got their goalie of the future and undrafted ECHL player and a third. If the goalie turns into a bonafide number one then it was worth it but that’s a lot to give up for an unproven player who wanted out.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I have to challenge the notion that the widely-believed top goalie prospect in the world is a few years away from playing a starting role. That puts him at 25-26 before he starts making an impact. Sure, wait another year for the San Jose d group to improve a bit. But the Sharks aren’t trading a 1st and a solid prospect for a goalie that isn’t going to be ready until halfway through his professional career.
If that's the expectation, I'm afraid many will be disappointed.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Why are you hating on Askarov? Your posts come across as if he did you wrong or something.
The usual reaction for many is to immediately critique and belittle players traded from your team. The homerism is immediately removed.

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
I love that Sharks are getting Askarov what a great fit for them.The way i see it he is likely to be something like Shesterkin in the future.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I have to challenge the notion that the widely-believed top goalie prospect in the world is a few years away from playing a starting role. That puts him at 25-26 before he starts making an impact. Sure, wait another year for the San Jose d group to improve a bit. But the Sharks aren’t trading a 1st and a solid prospect for a goalie that isn’t going to be ready until halfway through his professional career.
Apparently Trotz, Brunette and Korn all disagree with you.

I don’t have the first hand knowledge or the knowledge period to make any argument against them

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I appreciate the positivity, but I fully expect half of Celebrini, Smith, Musty, Dickinson, Askarov, and whoever you consider our 6th prospect (Mukh, Chernyshov, etc) to bust. We've got a great pool and this move balances it out, but there's a hell of a long way to go still.

SJ still needs defense and wingers. They’ll still be in the tank for 2-3 more years getting those.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
I love that Sharks are getting Askarov what a great fit for them.The way i see it he is likely to be something like Shesterkin in the future.

What makes you think he's anywhere close to Shesterkin? Shesterkin was outrageously dominating in the KHL and the AHL. Something Askarov has yet to achieve. Based only on his numbers, no one would be talking about him.

I'm not saying he won't be a legit #1 one day, buy to call him franchise goalie is quite a statement

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Why are you bringing Jesper Wallstedt into this?

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
What makes you think he's anywhere close to Shesterkin? Shesterkin was outrageously dominating in the KHL and the AHL. Something Askarov has yet to achieve. Based only on his numbers, no one would be talking about him.

I'm not saying he won't be a legit #1 one day, buy to call him franchise goalie is quite a statement
Ok you are maybe right i go for my gut feeling and my statement is about 50/50.We will see in 5 years from now.But following goalies last 30 + years i see with my own eyes he has the POTENTIAL to be a new Shesterkin or even better.All i can say is if i compare the swedish goalies i have followed last 30 years he is clearly top 3 in talent.

Reactions: frederixx

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
The next Shesterkin is Sergei Ivanov, Askarov is the next Samsonov...
Just the talent alone with the lateral movement and reflexes makes Askarov more close to Shesterkin how do you even compare him with Samsonov?.When he gets more experience and not chase the puck to much and stay in the crease the combination with his size and movement will be the success.

Samsonov is more like a movable refrigerator just like Adin Hill who needs a really good defence structure to success.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Ok you are maybe right i go for my gut feeling and my statement is about 50/50.We will see in 5 years from now.But following goalies last 30 + years i see with my own eyes he has the POTENTIAL to be a new Shesterkin or even better.All i can say is if i compare the swedish goalies i have followed last 30 years he is clearly top 3 in talent.

Who knows how Askarov turns out but Shesterkin was much older when he dominated the AHL so just not great moment to do a stats comparison

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
As some have stated nobody in this trade has proven anything but I think this trade on paper favours Nashville.

The got the 32OA pick from 2023, what could be a middle to late first rounder depending on how well LVK play plus another goalie prospect.

Sharks got their goalie of the future and undrafted ECHL player and a third. If the goalie turns into a bonafide number one then it was worth it but that’s a lot to give up for an unproven player who wanted out.
Don't think it really favours anyone.
What Nash could also do with any one of theirs, TB, LV 1st rounder is to recoup a high end goalie prospect at the draft in 2025 to replace Askarov they have Sarros signed for another 8 years after this season. No goalie has gone round 1 in the past 3 drafts. So, that's an option for Nash if they want it.

For Nash it was more of, they could have had a skater from the 2020 draft who could be in the NHL now, vs a 19 year old in Edstrom who is remaining in Europe. But, with the development path most goalies take of 4 years post draft to make the NHL, a lot can change. Poile stepped down and Trotz took over. And Sarros played the way he did.

As for SJ, now is a good time with a new coaching regime and bottoming out the past 2 seasons to bring in an NHL ready goalie, if Askarov is truly ready for the NHL. Always want to get your goalie very early in the rebuild due to the development timeline for them of around 4-5 years to make the NHL. End result for them is that they basically sent out Hertl to get Askarov. Fits their timeline better. Get him NHL action before the team is ready to compete for the PO, vs putting that kind of pressure to backstop a team to the PO in their rookie year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad