Confirmed with Link: [SJS/NSH] Yaroslavl Askarov, Nolan Burke, 2025 COL 3rd round pick for David Edstrom, Magnus Chrona, 2025 VGK 1st round pick (conditional)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Thus the comment Trotz made earlier(around the time Afanasyev was on his way out) about the coaches and GM deciding when you were ready, not the player, not their agent, not the fans..
And the people who can afford to express uneducated or unconventional opinions about those things are definitely just the fans. Nobody cares if we think a player is ready, not ready, or treated fairly or unfairly by the organization. Askarov should have created a fake account and posted his opinions here, just like the rest of us. :D But when you're part of the team management or on the player/agent side, you can HAVE those opinions, but they should be shared only behind closed doors until such time as a move you make reveals them. I disagree with a good bit of what our management has thought about some recent prospects, and I don't mind saying it. And you can tell I'm just not Eeli Tolvanen behind a fake account, because what player would post these rambling diatribes about everything under the sun! :laugh:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Considering their luck, that scenario's not even completely out of the question.
Got a 3% chance if Vegas actually starts with the 11th overall. Better odds than the typical lottery

I’ll say it and I won’t apologize for it. Now that Askarov is out of the Preds organization I hope he flops massively. Like the biggest bust of an 11th overall pick in the history of hockey.
I personally dont hope he flops... but i do hope the Edström and whatever we do with the 1st round pick ends up better than him.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Given his apparent acceptance of the AHL now that he's been traded I suspect Askarov telling Trotz he was definitely ready was as much a part of forcing the organization's hand as anything.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

luckofirish8

Jan 18, 2012
Nashville, TN
I heard/read a lot about how Trotz handle this situation and maximizing values and the general feeling seems to be he misplayed this by not moving Askarov before giving the extension to Saros. On the surface that appears to make a lot of sense, but conversely what does moving Askarov before extending Saros do to those contract negotiations? Trotz always had a fall back plan with Askarov (or at least the perception of one) when talking turkey with Saros.

He have been able to get more of a return for Askarov if he moves him before the extension, but he also loses some leverage with the guy he really wanted to keep. I've that aspect of this to be extremely under reported/mentioned. Maybe Saros wanted to remain with the Preds enough it doesn't matter...maybe not...

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I heard/read a lot about how Trotz handle this situation and maximizing values and the general feeling seems to be he misplayed this by not moving Askarov before giving the extension to Saros. On the surface that appears to make a lot of sense, but conversely what does moving Askarov before extending Saros do to those contract negotiations? Trotz always had a fall back plan with Askarov (or at least the perception of one) when talking turkey with Saros.

He have been able to get more of a return for Askarov if he moves him before the extension, but he also loses some leverage with the guy he really wanted to keep. I've that aspect of this to be extremely under reported/mentioned. Maybe Saros wanted to remain with the Preds enough it doesn't matter...maybe not...
It's an interesting perspective.

Remove Askarov and Saros may or required more money to remain knowing we have no viable replacement.

But i also dont think we couldve gotten much more than we ended up with for Askarov. We essentially got 2 1sts for a goalie prospect with 3 NHL games and pretty good AHL stats. I know Edström was a very late 1st and the Vegas pick will likely be in the 20s but i dont think a team is going to offer up more than a 1st in the 10s (which we might get anyways if Vegas implodes with injuries). I doubt any prospect on Smith or Eklunds level was ever on the table and that is coming from a team that is absolutely flush with young center depth (Eklund, Smith, Celebrini, Bystedt).

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
It's an interesting perspective.

Remove Askarov and Saros may or required more money to remain knowing we have no viable replacement.

But i also dont think we couldve gotten much more than we ended up with for Askarov. We essentially got 2 1sts for a goalie prospect with 3 NHL games and pretty good AHL stats. I know Edström was a very late 1st and the Vegas pick will likely be in the 20s but i dont think a team is going to offer up more than a 1st in the 10s (which we might get anyways if Vegas implodes with injuries). I doubt any prospect on Smith or Eklunds level was ever on the table and that is coming from a team that is absolutely flush with young center depth (Eklund, Smith, Celebrini, Bystedt).
Yeah I'm guessing it didn't make a huge difference on either end. I doubt the Saros deal would have changed significantly (maybe a bit) and I doubt the return for Askarov would've been that much better either. Luckily I think there was enough competition in the Askarov trade talks that his request didn't totally torpedo his value.

Now what Trotz wanted to get, or what Askarov may have eventually been worth with some NHL experience, different story.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

It's actually not a bad thought. I'm not sure if Trotz used that, but who knows, it could be why we didn't hear the 10 mil a season talk either. Gotta figure at least in the back of Saros or his agents mind it kept them from getting too crazy with the ask, although I still think they made out like bandits.

I think the value being offered was roughly the same before the Saros signing, and I think that is why he went pretty quick after he said he wouldn't report. Maybe before Askarov coming out Trotz thought he might be able to squeak some more out, but after I think it was enough for Trotz to just wipe his hands of it and be done.

Reactions: Gh24

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Yeah I'm guessing it didn't make a huge difference on either end. I doubt the Saros deal would have changed significantly (maybe a bit) and I doubt the return for Askarov would've been that much better either. Luckily I think there was enough competition in the Askarov trade talks that his request didn't totally torpedo his value.

Now what Trotz wanted to get, or what Askarov may have eventually been worth with some NHL experience, different story.
Yeah I think in the scenario where we re-sign Saros and brought in Wedgewood this offseason something akin to this was going to be the most likely result regardless of the order of operations. Saros's contract was pretty much a market deal and Askarov wasn't ever going to fetch a top tier prospect return. If we had gone into the season with Saros unsigned long term or had given Askarov the backup slot then we may have seen things go wildly different for better or worse.

Ultimately, I think Trotz has chosen to take the path with our goaltending most likely to generate success in the near future which makes perfect since given the other offseason moves. Meanwhile, we've still got a very strong prospect pool (albeit lacking a gamebreaker type of prospect) too. If Edstrom, Chrona, and whoever we draft with the pick all end up busting than the 2020 draft will definitely go down as a huge missed opportunity though.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah I think in the scenario where we re-sign Saros and brought in Wedgewood this offseason something akin to this was going to be the most likely result regardless of the order of operations. Saros's contract was pretty much a market deal and Askarov wasn't ever going to fetch a top tier prospect return. If we had gone into the season with Saros unsigned long term or had given Askarov the backup slot then we may have seen things go wildly different for better or worse.

Ultimately, I think Trotz has chosen to take the path with our goaltending most likely to generate success in the near future which makes perfect since given the other offseason moves. Meanwhile, we've still got a very strong prospect pool (albeit lacking a gamebreaker type of prospect) too. If Edstrom, Chrona, and whoever we draft with the pick all end up busting than the 2020 draft will definitely go down as a huge missed opportunity though.
Once Trotz decided to spend that money he had little choice but to go with Saros. Based on his comments he pretty much saw in Askarov what we did, and if you are going for it the next 3 years you don't want to be hamstringing the group with a goalie that isn't ready for it.

Askarov, as promising as he looks, could be dead in the water and back in Russia by the time that 2 year contract he signed with San Jose is over. Especially if they just throw him out there and they don't fix the issues he has.

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
I’ll say it and I won’t apologize for it. Now that Askarov is out of the Preds organization I hope he flops massively. Like the biggest bust of an 11th overall pick in the history of hockey.
I seem to remember a goalie named Finley I believe was a first rounder that could claim that title.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
A team can only move up 10 spots in the lottery. Simple solution: Vegas gets 11th worst record and then wins the draft lottery.

I don't think it works that way. Say your scenario plays out and the Vegas pick wins the lottery then the pick becomes a top 10 selection and San Jose would have the option to switch.

The best case we both as a fan bases could hope for is a 1 (SJ) - 2 (Nash) scenario.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019

What if Askarov had told Trotz he was NHL ready in his season review months ago? If so, keeping him around until Saros was locked up, signing Wedgewood as the backup, and shopping Askarov to other GMs makes perfect sense. All because Askarov tipped his hand and basically said, "boss, I'm a prima donna and not a team player."

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Except, it's probably, even very highly likely, but not definitely

Thus the comment Trotz made earlier(around the time Afanasyev was on his way out) about the coaches and GM deciding when you were ready, not the player, not their agent, not the fans..
I have watched Askarov play a lot of games in Milwaukee, and one in Henderson. NV. As somebody who has been watching pro hockey since 1964. I can tell you that this fan thinks he needs another year in the AHL before he is ready for the NHL.

Askarov could have a long career in the NHL, or he could be another Marek Mazanec, and play 31 NHL games with an 8-13-4 record, 2.97 GAA and 89.5 Save %.

Magnus Hellberg had similar stats to Mazanec.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
That... is.... sad...
And it's why I about blew my lid off when we took Askarov with that pick.

It's wild because you look at an organization like Edmonton and they have basically been garbage at drafting anyone outside the first round. Meanwhile we can't seem to find anyone but mediocrity in the first round. :confused:

If it wasn't for our mid to later round drafting we would have been horrible.

Reactions: Gnashville

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
And it's why I about blew my lid off when we took Askarov with that pick.

It's wild because you look at an organization like Edmonton and they have basically been garbage at drafting anyone outside the first round. Meanwhile we can't seem to find anyone but mediocrity in the first round. :confused:
Dan Hamhuis. Ryan Ellis. Kevin Fiala. Seth Jones. And say what you will about the likes of Radulov or $uter, but they were hardly "mediocre."

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Dan Hamhuis. Ryan Ellis. Kevin Fiala. Seth Jones. And say what you will about the likes of Radulov or $uter, but they were hardly "mediocre."
Unfortunately, we traded or lost all of those in their prime/later prime (Fiala, Radulov, Jones, and late prime for Suter/Ellis/Hamhuis). We didnt do much with Fiala, Jones, or Radulov due to early trades or jetting to the KHL. Ellis worked out due to injury.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad