Confirmed with Link: [SJS/NSH] Yaroslavl Askarov, Nolan Burke, 2025 COL 3rd round pick for David Edstrom, Magnus Chrona, 2025 VGK 1st round pick (conditional)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Well, of course, it's a business. If you are talented at what you do, you want to be paid for it. Why you are demonizing Askarov for it? Was he supposed to just sit back and not earn his full potential?
Because I'm a Preds fan, I cheer for the crest on the Jersey, not the name on the back. So yeah when you stir up a stink and try to screw the organization I root for I'm probably going to think you are a pile of garbage.

That doesn't get into the fact I hated the pick to start with and called this mess when we made it.

Clear enough?

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
False, that pick was unconditional due to the Hanifin trade which did have a condition on it. After dealing for Hertl, the Sharks received Vegas' 2025 1st and the Flames received Vegas' 2026 1st.

You are overcomplicating it. Sharks had two first rounders in 2025. The Preds will get the lesser of the two.
Again, semantics. Although it will almost certainly be "the lesser of the two" because it is almost certain that San Jose will have a worse record than Vegas next year, if some weird circumstance causes Vegas and San Jose to both have picks outside the top 10, and Vegas pick is actually higher than San Jose's, we still get Vegas pick. So the trade absolutely was not for "the lesser of the two picks" it was for Vegas pick except in the circumstance of it being top 10, then it would be San Jose's choice.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Again, semantics. Although it will almost certainly be "the lesser of the two" because it is almost certain that San Jose will have a worse record than Vegas next year, if some weird circumstance causes Vegas and San Jose to both have picks outside the top 10, and Vegas pick is actually higher than San Jose's, we still get Vegas pick. So the trade absolutely was not for "the lesser of the two picks" it was for Vegas pick except in the circumstance of it being top 10, then it would be San Jose's choice.

It's a failsafe for San Jose. Nothing more.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Late, but honestly think we got pretty good value for a goalie prospect with almost no NHL time. Had to make a move after the news on him staying east came out; pretty good return. He may end up being incredible, but goalies are probably the toughest position to predict trajectory well.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Let’s talk about the players that the Preds got is EdStrom going to be in Milwaukee? Also, will Chrona have a chrome helmet so he could be Chrona-chrome (if you get that reference, I love you)
I think that you have to be from Rochester to make that joke. It is going to be crowded here!

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Now you are just talking gibberish that means nothing at all. There are no exceptions.

You were wrong, just own it.

Here is the exact language from NHL.com

Nashville acquired forward prospect David Edstrom, goalie prospect Magnus Chrona and a conditional first-round pick in the 2025 NHL Draft (previously acquired by San Jose from the Vegas Golden Knights). Should that pick be in the top 10, the Sharks will have the choice to transfer either their own first-round pick in the 2025 draft or the Golden Knights selection.

So tell me, under what "condition" does San Jose get to choose which pick to send?

Answer: Vegas Pick is top 10.

So, in a hypothetical world where Vegas has a really crappy year and ends up with the 12th pick, and San Jose outperforms expectations and has the 14th pick, which pick would the Predators get?

Answer: Vegas 12th.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Here is the exact language from NHL.com

Nashville acquired forward prospect David Edstrom, goalie prospect Magnus Chrona and a conditional first-round pick in the 2025 NHL Draft (previously acquired by San Jose from the Vegas Golden Knights). Should that pick be in the top 10, the Sharks will have the choice to transfer either their own first-round pick in the 2025 draft or the Golden Knights selection.

So tell me, under what "condition" does San Jose get to choose which pick to send?

Answer: Vegas Pick is top 10.

So, in a hypothetical world where Vegas has a really crappy year and ends up with the 12th pick, and San Jose outperforms expectations and has the 14th pick, which pick would the Predators get?

Answer: Vegas 12th.

Believe what you want. End of the day, Sharks will have the higher pick. I'm out.

1000004205.gif

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
You really step in it sometimes. The pick trade for was Vegas pick. That is unequivocal. There is a condition, that if that pick is in the top 10, the Sharks have the option of sending their own pick instead. Doesn't change the fact that it was the Vegas pick that was traded.

Protip: Don't get into a semantics argument with @101st_fan. Even if you might be technically correct, the process is painful.
Look at the other replies to me and notice the contention that what was traded isn't the Vegas pick but the latter of the two picks the Sharks had. You've exchanged posts with a person contesting that it is necessarily the Vegas pick in question.

Last edited:

PREDy 4 the Cup

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Look at the other replies to me and notice the contention that what was traded isn't the Vegas pick but the latter of the two picks the Sharks had. You've exchanged posts with a person contesting that it is necessarily the Vegas pick in question.
Nothing like owning your wrongs 🤣🤣🤣

Anyways, we can’t all have that capacity and I know that. At least you aren’t still arguing and being rude when you’re not even right lol

In other news….

The Preds traded askarov for a good centre prospect, a monster goalie and a hopefully higher end first round pick! Woot!

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
So heard a play back of a Trotz interview and he said Askarov told him he was ready for the NHL. Trotz said he told him that his play is what shows you are ready for the NHL, and his hadn't.
Yeah, if that's what Askarov thought after the way last season finished for him... :huh:

Anyway, he was ready "for consideration" at the NHL level. Ready to at least get looks and try to impress. That's not the same as truly being proven to be ready, however. Pending significant injuries to Saros or Wedgewood, I suspect that Askarov was at least going to get a few more callups and looks over the course of the coming season than his 1 cameo callup in each of the previous two. He could have tried to establish proof of his contention. He didn't think he needed to, which was definitely a fatal flaw in his thinking.

He had a good game against a mediocre Washington team last season, and a poor/mediocre game against a weak Montreal team the year before. It's not "proof" of anything. I'm sure he'll find some kind of proof playing behind that San Jose D. It may not be the proof he's thinking, however.

Legionnaire11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 12, 2007
Fort Wayne
atlantichockeyleague.com
Yeah, if that's what Askarov thought after the way last season finished for him... :huh:

Anyway, he was ready "for consideration" at the NHL level. Ready to at least get looks and try to impress. That's not the same as truly being proven to be ready, however. Pending significant injuries to Saros or Wedgewood, I suspect that Askarov was at least going to get a few more callups and looks over the course of the coming season than his 1 cameo callup in each of the previous two. He could have tried to establish proof of his contention. He didn't think he needed to, which was definitely a fatal flaw in his thinking.

He had a good game against a mediocre Washington team last season, and a poor/mediocre game against a weak Montreal team the year before. It's not "proof" of anything. I'm sure he'll find some kind of proof playing behind that San Jose D. It may not be the proof he's thinking, however.

Yeah, and I think folks around the league are looking at us right now and trying to spin it that we're crapping on him because he was just traded away. But I don't see any way that an objective observer could actually believe Askarov is ready for the NHL right now. Love his potential, but it's still just that.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Except, it's probably, even very highly likely, but not definitely

So heard a play back of a Trotz interview and he said Askarov told him he was ready for the NHL. Trotz said he told him that his play is what shows you are ready for the NHL, and his hadn't.
Thus the comment Trotz made earlier(around the time Afanasyev was on his way out) about the coaches and GM deciding when you were ready, not the player, not their agent, not the fans..

Reactions: Armourboy

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

Exactly.

Look I think it's great for guys to have confidence in themselves and believe they can do it, but there is a fine line between confidence and delusion.

He got pulled in the playoffs last season, and it wasn't just a team shake up kind of thing, he deserved it. That means against the better competition in the minors his game was looking suspect. How that comes to " I'm ready " I don't know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad