Confirmed with Link: [SJS/NSH] Yaroslavl Askarov, Nolan Burke, 2025 COL 3rd round pick for David Edstrom, Magnus Chrona, 2025 VGK 1st round pick (conditional)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
Our first round drafting hasn't actually been that bad when you think about it. Out of the 24 players we've picked in round 1, 14 went on to become NHL regulars with solid careers. We have 3 first rounders in the last 2 years (Wood, Molendyk, Surin), so that's 14/21 in all reality. 2 all-star defensemen. Several point per game forwards. We've struck out on superstar centers, but to say our drafting is mediocre is a super lazy argument when you consider only 63% or less of 1st rounders even touch the NHL. We're batting above the league average.

Edit: and to add, I think Svechkov was our first center in round 1 since Wilson in 2008 that was drafted to actually continue to play center. Him, Wood, Edstrom and Surin have given us potential at the middle that we've literally never had before

Last edited:
Reactions: Kat Predator

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Our first round drafting hasn't actually been that bad when you think about it. Out of the 24 players we've picked in round 1, 14 went on to become NHL regulars with solid careers. We have 3 first rounders in the last 2 years (Wood, Molendyk, Surin), so that's 14/21 in all reality. 2 all-star defensemen. Several point per game forwards. We've struck out on superstar centers, but to say our drafting is mediocre is a super lazy argument when you consider only 63% or less of 1st rounders even touch the NHL. We're batting above the league average.

Edit: and to add, I think Svechkov was our first center in round 1 since Wilson in 2008 that was drafted to actually continue to play center. Him, Wood, Edstrom and Surin have given us potential at the middle that we've literally never had before
Yes and most of those played their careers somewhere else. So maybe we aren't bad at drafting first rounders, we are just bad at keeping them.

Reactions: Softball99

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
In an alternate universe, I'd like to have seen Suter, Rads, Hartnell, and Fiala play their entire careers in Nashville.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Great article on The Athletic yesterday about the whole Saros extension and the Askarov situation.

Says a lot of what we thought. Trotz met with Askarov and laid out the plan for him, which included a legit shot to make the team out of camp. Plans to continue developing under Korn. Trotz knows he has all of the physical tools but thinks he needs a little more time with the mental aspect.
Says he signed Wedgewood as a safeguard in case Askarov didn't make the team and that Wedgewood was understanding and accepting that he might be playing in Milwaukee if Askarov did make the team.

He thought Askarov was on board with this plan but then he came back demanding a clear path to being the #1 goalie and wanted to be traded.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Great article on The Athletic yesterday about the whole Saros extension and the Askarov situation.

Says a lot of what we thought. Trotz met with Askarov and laid out the plan for him, which included a legit shot to make the team out of camp. Plans to continue developing under Korn. Trotz knows he has all of the physical tools but thinks he needs a little more time with the mental aspect.
Says he signed Wedgewood as a safeguard in case Askarov didn't make the team and that Wedgewood was understanding and accepting that he might be playing in Milwaukee if Askarov did make the team.

He thought Askarov was on board with this plan but then he came back demanding a clear path to being the #1 goalie and wanted to be traded.
See to me that makes Askarov look even worse.

I mean the #1 thing is there, but I really think it came down to his agent knowing Trotz wasn't going to give him the kind of deal they got out of San Jose after seeing some of the contracts the other guys got that had shown even more than he has.

Yeah I think the path to #1 is a part of it, but I think if the agent thought he could get a 2 x 2 from Trotz he would have just stayed.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
See to me that makes Askarov look even worse.

I mean the #1 thing is there, but I really think it came down to his agent knowing Trotz wasn't going to give him the kind of deal they got out of San Jose after seeing some of the contracts the other guys got that had shown even more than he has.

Yeah I think the path to #1 is a part of it, but I think if the agent thought he could get a 2 x 2 from Trotz he would have just stayed.
Or maybe the agent just went to puckpedia, saw that the Preds had spent all their money and came up with his own plan. Have his client act like a "it's all about me" guy and force Trotz's hand when they had the leverage to do so.

I mean there is no way throwing a temper tantrum was going to make Trotz trade Saros after he signed that extension to clear a path for Askarov. Not when he's invested up to his bald dome in a "win now" roster. That was never going to happen.

The Sharks have been a revolving door in net, letting several platoons of netminders get shellacked on a nightly basis in recent years. Hope Askarov likes the taste of vulcanized rubber.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Or maybe the agent just went to puckpedia, saw that the Preds had spent all their money and came up with his own plan. Have his client act like a "it's all about me" guy and force Trotz's hand when they had the leverage to do so.

I mean there is no way throwing a temper tantrum was going to make Trotz trade Saros after he signed that extension to clear a path for Askarov. Not when he's invested up to his bald dome in a "win now" roster. That was never going to happen.

The Sharks have been a revolving door in net, letting several platoons of netminders get shellacked on a nightly basis in recent years. Hope Askarov likes the taste of vulcanized rubber.
Yeah I think there are way too many people out there that think San Jose has their #1 starter for the next decade. They might, but they also might have the next story of what happens when you don't develop a goalie properly as well.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Yeah I think there are way too many people out there that think San Jose has their #1 starter for the next decade. They might, but they also might have the next story of what happens when you don't develop a goalie properly as well.
We will see.

I don't think he's ready for the NHL. And with his oversized ego and a roster that has been gutted for tanking in front of him ... well, that does sound like a recipe for chocolate chicken sardine cake.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
We will see.

I don't think he's ready for the NHL. And with his oversized ego and a roster that has been gutted for tanking in front of him ... well, that does sound like a recipe for chocolate chicken sardine cake.
Well everyone is looking at their forward prospects, but they don't have much on the defensive side of it and that can play real havoc with a young goalie.

Reactions: Kat Predator

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
We will see.

This is my thinking as well. Everyone seems focused on his "path" and his skill level. I'm not sure enough of the focus is on this kid's attitude. He had some stout demands for not proving a whole lot other than what's on writer's prospect rankings.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
This is my thinking as well. Everyone seems focused on his "path" and his skill level. I'm not sure enough of the focus is on this kid's attitude. He had some stout demands for not proving a whole lot other than what's on writer's prospect rankings.

No shit. Hey, Yaro, your path is to make the team as a backup then outplay Saros and force them to give you the net. That's kinda how it works in any organization.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
No shit. Hey, Yaro, your path is to make the team as a backup then outplay Saros and force them to give you the net. That's kinda how it works in any organization.
It's pretty apparent now that he didn't want to battle for anything, and frankly I don't want a guy in my organization that wants to take the easy road and have things handed to him.

It's no wonder Trotz moved him as quick as he did. Knowing Trotz, I imagine the more he thought about it the more he couldn't wait to get him out of town.

Legionnaire11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 12, 2007
Fort Wayne
atlantichockeyleague.com
Don't you know every thread eventually becomes a Legwand thread?

198331-IdealisticUnhealthyBlowfish-size-restricted.gif

MadMax5150

Mar 28, 2024
I understand why it happened but there's nothing gonna make me happy that Askarov will never again wear Preds gold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad