Claimed off Waivers: [SJS] F Barclay Goodrow claimed by San Jose

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Not sure why SJ does this without getting a sweetener with him. I know they need to hit the floor, but Goodrow's value is better known in the playoffs, something that SJ is unlikely to do anytime soon.
It’s simple. The Sharks are gonna have a lot of kids in their lineup over the next couple of years, and he’s a very professional player, who sets a good example. Too many teams, Buffalo and Ottawa, forget this too often. Instead signing vets looking for paydays only.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It’s simple. The Sharks are gonna have a lot of kids in their lineup over the next couple of years, and he’s a very professional player, who sets a good example. Too many teams, Buffalo and Ottawa, forget this too often. Instead signing vets looking for paydays only.

I get that, but you still want to be smart with how you acquire said players. Seems the Rangers would give something up instead of buying him out.

Reactions: Ragdoll

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I get that, but you still want to be smart with how you acquire said players. Seems the Rangers would give something up instead of buying him out.
What are you going to squeeze out? A 5th round pick? Some AHL guy? Is it worth messing up your plans for a pick that has a 2-3% chance of ever being an NHL regular a decade down the line?

Or do you just make a good decision and keep it moving.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
What are you going to squeeze out? A 5th round pick? Some AHL guy? Is it worth messing up your plans for a pick that has a 2-3% chance of ever being an NHL regular a decade down the line?

Or do you just make a good decision and keep it moving.

3.68 for 3 years would cost a lot more than a 5th to take on. SJ basically gave the Rangers a get out of jail free card.

Reactions: Ragdoll

effen

Feb 3, 2018
3.68 for 3 years would cost a lot more than a 5th to take on. SJ basically gave the Rangers a get out of jail free card.
A 4th? A 3rd? Keep in mind they want the player, and for all they know they may have competition.

They have 30M in cap space and no one wants to go there and they need bodies. It's... fine? They're gonna pick up quite a few waiver guys this year.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
There's a second deal where the claim for Goodrow will be repaid. Claiming Goodrow on waivers only way for the Sharks to get around the NTC/

Not sure if it is Trouba or Kakko quite yet.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I'm actually surprised there's so many people who don't understand/are critiquing Grier for this.

He literally needed to spend money. This is a familiar player, that has won 2 cups, and been to another ECF since leaving the Sharks in 2020. We're not acquiring him to score 20 goals...he's there to insulate the team that just came 32nd in the NHL, and is bringing in 18 year old Celebrini and 19 year old Smith, amongst other U23 players. Casual SJ fans will remember him from his past on the team, and he's probably going to end up with a letter on his jersey. Those are all important things for the team with the lowest attendance in the NHL, and who's captain may never play again. Grier got hired out of the Rangers org, so of course he has buddies in hockey ops he's willing to help out...they literally helped him become a GM in the NHL.

There is nothing surprising about this move at all. It's literally the exact same as overpaying for some bottom-6 useless plug in free agency except they wouldn't apply to all of the factors I listed above.

Last edited:

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
There's a second deal where the claim for Goodrow will be repaid. Claiming Goodrow on waivers only way for the Sharks to get around the NTC/

Not sure if it is Trouba or Kakko quite yet.

NYR fans:

8udum9.jpg

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I'm actually surprised there's so many people who don't understand/are critiquing Grier for this.

He literally needed to spend money. This is a familiar player, that has won 2 cups, been to another SCF, and another ECF since leaving the Sharks in 2020. We're not acquiring him to score 20 goals...he's there to insulate the team that just came 32nd in the NHL, and is bringing in 18 year old Celebrini and 19 year old Smith, amongst other U23 players. Casual SJ fans will remember him from his past on the team, and he's probably going to end up with a letter on his jersey. Those are all important things for the team with the lowest attendance in the NHL, and who's captain may never play again. Grier got hired out of the Rangers org, so of course he has buddies in hockey ops he's willing to help out...they literally helped him become a GM in the NHL.

There is nothing surprising about this move at all. It's literally the exact same as overpaying for some bottom-6 useless plug in free agency except they wouldn't apply to all of the factors I listed above.
What I don't get is, if this claim was to get around his NTC, why would you want to acquire a player who's using his NTC to not go to you?

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I think people are a bit shocked because they are still stuck in the flat CAP era of the last 4 years.

Lots of teams with some CAP to work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad