Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Maybe not replaced, but it’s certainly another factor now.

Kind of like how back in high school the girls used to avoid me because I was ugly, but eventually, they started to avoid me because I was poor, too.

:DD

I'm slightly different. Girls ignored me when I was younger because I was ugly. Now they avoid me because I'm just as ugly but fat and bald too.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
"Momentum is building on McGroarty and I expect that a trade will take place before the draft."
says cbj makes sense as the front runner so sounds more like his opinion then what he's heard

Murat says “three teams with interest in McGroarty” which were CBJ, SJ and Ott. So that sounds like he has actual info. Classifying Columbus as the front-runner might be his opinion based on fit and what they’d potentially offer.

Columbus has a few interesting options.

They have the #4 pick which seems a bit too rich for McGroarty.

Jiricek is a nice prospect and fits our needs well. I loved him in the world juniors but haven’t watched him much in the pros.

Mateychuh looked good at the Memorial cup tourney for the brief time I watched him. Really dynamic D man.
Interesting. Here are some pieces I'm interested and think are realistic from each team.

CBJ:
Laine - As part of a bigger deal potentially. Laine's value is so low we should be able to get him for cheaper than an A Prospect. But if there are some other parts involved and he's an add I'm okay with that.
Sillinger - Middle 6 C that can potentially fill our 2C needs.
Jiricek - Big body RHD that we so desperately need.
2024 4th overall - We can add a pretty nice piece with this, should be lots of options at 4. Likely won't step in for awhile though.
Mateychuk - Great puck rushing LHD that could cement our left side for years to come. Solid kid too.

SJS:
2024 14th overall - I'd want more on top of this.
Mukhamadullin - Real big and rangy LHD. Cements the top 4 on the left side potentially.
Grandlund - With an extension in place he could step in at 2C for us and solidify that spot a bit but he is 32 turning 33 soon.

OTT:
2024 7th overall - Not as good as 4 but certainly still solid.
Chychrun - Solid vet LHD that can play the right side well enough. Allows us to run 2 solid pairs or stack one. Would want an extension in place though. We likely need to add.
Pinto - Good size C that can step in as 2C. We likely need to add here as well.
Greig - Solid playoff type winger for the middle 6.

Ultimately it's up to him to force the orgs hand. Connor, Ehlers, Scheif, Trouba, Morrissey, Laine and many more ultimately all payed their dues. Some might have been held out a little bit more than they should have but that's never really hurt a prospect as much as rushing them does.

Of that list I would say only Connor and Morrissey paid their dues.

That was when we were more like a Columbus is now and our priority was letting young prospects grow in the NHL. McGroarty just put up 52 points in 36 games and was one of the top scoreres in the NCAA, he’s a good sized kid that is physically mature. He just finished his draft + 2 season so him entering the NHL now and bypassing the AHL is less bold than when Schiefele did it at the same age coming out of the CHL after 2 seasons strait to the Jets. Then we had Trouba, Ehlers, and Laine all jumping in to the NHL earlier than McGroarty without playing in the AHL.

I do get it though we have a deeper team now but it’s not like Rutger is breaking new ground.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Columbus has a few interesting options.

They have the #4 pick which seems a bit too rich for McGroarty.

Jiricek is a nice prospect and fits our needs well. I loved him in the world juniors but haven’t watched him much in the pros.

Mateychuh looked good at the Memorial cup tourney for the brief time I watched him. Really dynamic D man.

Of that list I would say only Connor and Morrissey paid their dues.

That was when we were more like a Columbus is now and our priority was letting young prospects grow in the NHL. McGroarty just put up 52 points in 36 games and was one of the top scoreres in the NCAA, he’s a good sized kid that is physically mature. He just finished his draft + 2 season so him entering the NHL now and bypassing the AHL is less bold than when Schiefele did it at the same age coming out of the CHL after 2 seasons strait to the Jets. Then we had Trouba, Ehlers, and Laine all jumping in to the NHL earlier than McGroarty without playing in the AHL.

I do get it though we have a deeper team now but it’s not like Rutger is breaking new ground.

I'd say Mark did as well getting sent back twice. Really only Trouba, Fly, and Laine stepped in right away. All the rest of our first rounders were sent back for more seasoning/spent time in the AHL.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah we make great trading partners.

Mateychuk, Jiricek and Sillinger are the big targets there.

Jiricek would fit our needs perfectly on paper but it seems like a bit of a stretch. It does sound like he wasn’t happy with how he was treated last season. What are your thoughts on

What are your thoughts on Mateychuk? He looked very dynamic to me in the Momorial cup in a small sample size of me watching him.

I'd say Mark did as well getting sent back twice. Really only Trouba, Fly, and Laine stepped in right away. All the rest of our first rounders were sent back for more seasoning/spent time in the AHL.

I mean comparatively to McGroarty. Rutger has gone back to college twice to so if he went strait to the NHL now it would be what Scheifele did timeline wise and not spending time in the AHL. Rutger isn’t fresh off the draft floor he has been developing really nicely.

Anyways I won’t go to far down the rabbit hole showing his “desired” path is not fast historically in the 2.0 era. The kid is on his way out so it doesn’t matter that much.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Jiricek would fit our needs perfectly on paper but it seems like a bit of a stretch. It does sound like he wasn’t happy with how he was treated last season. What are your thoughts on

What are your thoughts on Mateychuk? He looked very dynamic to me in the Momorial cup in a small sample size of me watching him.

Not asking me, but he was very high on my list for our pick in his draft. Great skater with high end offensive instincts. A lot like Hughes imo.

I mean comparatively to McGroarty. Rutger has gone back to college twice to so if he went strait to the NHL now it would be what Scheifele did timeline wise and not spending time in the AHL. Rutger isn’t fresh off the draft floor he has been developing really nicely.

Anyways I won’t go to far down the rabbit hole showing his path is not fast by any means historically in the 2.0 era. The kid is on his way out so it doesn’t matter that much.

Hey I would have made space for him next year. I just thought it was unreasonable that he demand a spot on a team that was fourth in the league on the eve of the playoffs.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Copp also... but he did spend 3 years at Michigan and was touted as being "pro-ready" when he left

Makes me think that the Jets see something in McG's game that they think he needs to smooth out before hitting the NHL

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Not asking me, but he was very high on my list for our pick in his draft. Great skater with high end offensive instincts. A lot like Hughes imo.

Hey I would have made space for him next year. I just thought it was unreasonable that he demand a spot on a team that was fourth in the league on the eve of the playoffs.

I hadn’t seen much of Mateychuk but when I tuned in to the Moose Jaw game v London I remember saying who the hell is that kid.

I am not sure how Rutger worded it with TNSE but I don’t like the idea of them not having options to send him down if he wasn’t ready for the NHL. On the flip side I wouldn’t trust the coaches on the Jets to get it right if he was ready.

It’s a bit of a mess both ways.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I am not sure how Rutger worded it with TNSE but I don’t like the idea of them not having options to send him down if he wasn’t ready for the NHL. On the flip side I wouldn’t trust the coaches on the Jets to get it right if he was ready.

It’s a bit of a mess both ways.
I wonder what the issue is with the Jets. We have a hole in the top 6 even if we don't move Ehlers. If we do, we have 2. Are they gonna fill it either through FA or Lambert?

Is there something in Rutger's game that the Jets see that needs time on the farm? I don't watch enough of him beyond his highlights to have an opinion

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I wonder what the issue is with the Jets. We have a hole in the top 6 even if we don't move Ehlers. If we do, we have 2. Are they gonna fill it either through FA or Lambert?

Is there something in Rutger's game that the Jets see that needs time on the farm? I don't watch enough of him beyond his highlights to have an opinion

Just scrambling to get my daughter to her last day of grade 6. I have a few thoughts on this topic and I will try to circle back later.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I want this one User that said he knows NCAA very well and was at the Frozen 4 Tournament elaborate on his observations of McG's character so badly.

Come on Chevy, trade him so we can gather around the fireplace!
That was an odd comment...flies in the face of everything said about McGroarty. The kid has an amazing personality and is a natural leader.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
He was lost then found his way in 4 AHL games?

It's pretty hard to disprove your point. The player could be an AHL Allstar and since they were never given a shot that year, the answer is they "weren't ready".

The Jets don't call up successful AHLers to give them shots during a season, that's probably part of Rutgers issue with them. It doesn't matter how well he plays if he's in the AHL, it's "see you at training camp" or hope for a significant injury.
Yeah, Capobianco is a prime example

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
One thing that I don't understand is that if Ehlers is so hell bent on leaving, Chevy would know that there's a hole in the top 6 on the left side sometime soon. If Rutger takes that spot, then Chevy can focus on a D or futures as a return in the Ehlers trade

I know TNSE doesn't want to gift anything ro anyone, so I wonder whether or not they see some flaws or inadequacies in Rutger's game that they want him to address
I think the issue isn't whether or not he can play in the nhl, it's him trying to force the org to promise him a roster spot.

I have a big issue wth a player trying to leverage the control he has when he hasn't proven jack shit.

Well this become a theme in his career? Is every contract going to be a drawn out, dramatic process?

He may end up being a great player but right now he's looking like an entitled brat.

I'm all for the org leveraging him into something we need now.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Well when he sat in front of the camera and proclaimed himself a big Winnipeg Jets fan and so excited to go there, you have to ask the question. Was it a bald faced lie. Is he trying from the outset to manipulate a favourable result? Is that high moral fibre?

I only have questions.
I feel like greedy adults might be getting into his head

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I feel like greedy adults might be getting into his head

Could be.

Still, I see no reason, as a Marketing & PR professional myself, to literally say "X is my favorite team" or "has been my favorite team growing up" if it is a blatant lie. There is no need for taking that "risk". It's good enough to say that you're happy to be drafted by X and can not wait to report for Training Camp. If you gan give a charismatic smile on top of that - even bezter. That is all fans need to hear to be sold on you.

Last edited:

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I’m still holding out hope that Chevy’s music plays and he comes out announcing a Rutger ELC. Rutger’s usage for one year seems like such a silly issue to cause a permanent rift over, it can’t be that simple. If his advisor is indeed going to be Overhardt, it would start making a ton of sense - I think ol’ KO hates dealing with Chevy because he doesn’t bend easily. All KO has to do is tell bad tales of how Rutger will never get rich in Winnipeg due to AHL usage and lowball RFA contracts, and he’ll start to question his “development”.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Well when he sat in front of the camera and proclaimed himself a big Winnipeg Jets fan and so excited to go there, you have to ask the question. Was it a bald faced lie. Is he trying from the outset to manipulate a favourable result? Is that high moral fibre?

I only have questions.

If I was betting I would wager "no", he wasn't playing 3D chess.

Shit happens and things change. He is a young guy and he has friend groups, advisors (agent), and what happens in those two circles can impact any of us. He saw his buddies all getting NHL games and a path to playing on shitty teams next season and I guess he thought why not me. He thinks he's NHL ready (he may or may not be) and he and the org didn't see eye to eye on the topic so things soured.

I might be wrong but it seems like a logical progression. I think he is part of an entitled wave of US College kids (the US college factor bumping the Russian factor for #1 threat). I also think he is acting in his best interest but welcome to the real world. Leverage is leverage, clubs and veteran players use it all the time if they can. That is the business aspect of this that I have no problem with. Everyone is out for their own best interests.

The reality is he is still our asset to trade so at this point we haven't lost any net value. I am not getting butt hurt, its all a game and Chevy's job is to turn this into a positive.

GO JETS GO

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Interesting comment on Murat's article from J.M.:

Diving into the psychology of competitive youth sports, parents and children may help. Mike McIntyre did a great job describing his [McGroarty's] hockey journey. He frequently travelled, played in the famous Brick tournament against the best 9 yearolds in Canada, when he was 8. His family moved for his development, his connections got him invited to train with Barbara underhill. This kids support system, has not spared any expense or chance at giving him anything but the optimal opportunity to succeed. These are not the types of folks who are comfortable giving up control. High level hockey is increasingly becoming quite elitist. He is so close right now to paying off all the sacrifices his family has made for him the last 15 years.. they want an nhl opportunity when they feel like he is ready to make that step and they have little reason to believe the jets will make space for him when they think he is ready. It may very well be that he is the 14th best forward in the organization when the time is right for him, or the 11th best forward but exempt from waivers and stuck in the AHL.​
Imagine never having to compromise on your development path, and now you’re 20 facing what you perceive to be the most critical point in your development, where some guys thrive and many more flop.. How could the above scenarios be acceptable to mcgroarty and his family? It’s not.​
The better question is how much should nhl teams be expected to accommodate their prospects who share this mindframe? They may soon be the norm. At what point do you just accept we have to play this kid and accept some lumps because he’s the future? Top 10, top 5, top 2 pick? Ideally you want kids who are selfless, no ego, don’t think twice about making sacrifices for the team, but if this is no longer realistic to ask of your blue chip North American prospects, then something’s gotta give.​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad