Claimed off Waivers: [SJS] F Barclay Goodrow claimed by San Jose

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
Joshua is clearly a better player than Goodrow.

18 goals in 63 games this season & 0.5 PPG. Goodrow's high is 13 goals, he's only hit double digit goals twice & never had a 0.5 PPG year in 10 seasons.

So what? Mikheyev is better than both of them and all that means is he got a bigger badder contract. Point is you dont sign these kinds of players to long term contracts at inflated values unless you want to regret it one day.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
So what? Mikheyev is better than both of them and all that means is he got a bigger badder contract. Point is you dont sign these kinds of players to long term contracts at inflated values unless you want to regret it one day.

The point is they aren't comparable players. Goodrow has shown no offensive ability to suggest more than a checking 3rd/4th line role.

Joshua is moreso comparable to a player like Mason Marchment, put whatever price on that u want.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
This dude was one of their best players in the playoffs. Showed more grit and heart than most of their stars.

Rangers fans want to explain the thinking here? He's on the team for the playoffs, not the regular season.
San Jose wanted veteran with all their rookies. Cap room on rebuilding team generally a non issue

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Brutal business...

He was awful in the regular season, but good in the playoffs, scored some huge clutch goals and was good on the PK. Given his track record though, you could argue he's someone who consistently elevates in the playoffs.

Still, a 4th liner making 3.6M is just bad value. No ill will, appreicate some of the goals he scored in the playoofs. Hopefully someone bails out the Rangers and takes him.
Apropos to nothing in this thread, you concern me AM.

1) Hit the gym man. You’re letting yourself go.
2) Smoking is bad for you, you are a great hockey play but in all sincerity you are not Guy Lafleur.
3) Who did you kill?

Just kidding. Love the Avatar.

• Love
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Ridiculous. The Sharks let the Rangers off the hook big time. They could have gotten a draft pick from the Rangers if they wanted Goodrow that bad and get an asset out of it, so much stupidity from team GMs today (taking the PLD contract etc.) that it's making my head spin.

No they couldn't. Goodrow would have blocked the trade. This was the only way for the Sharks to get the player. You can debate whether that in itself was a smart move, but regarding how they got the player, this was the only way.

That's what happens when you hire inexperienced GMs.
Is it? Or are avoiding reality because you don't like the Sharks?

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Who exactly is this potentially good player who in their right mind would like to sign for San Jose at this point of their rebuild?

I imagine there are players that prefer to be a big fish in a small pond - this could give them an opportunity to show what they got. Then you have players that are injury prone or had bad seasons, that want to prove they are still relevant. Finally, those veterans that want to keep playing but refuse to do so on a 4th line somewhere, opting instead to play for one of those teams in a leadership role.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
this is goodrows second stint with the sharks

He has them on his no trade list

What I don’t understand is why San Jose decided to claim a player who doesn’t want to play there

Reactions: MakoSlade

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

What I don’t understand is why San Jose decided to claim a player who doesn’t want to play there
If this transaction is all there is, the only reason is a belief that he makes them better. The Sharks certainly suck in their bottom six but they likely had more effective options if they were willing to wait.

Reactions: DG93

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Surprising amount of consternation with this move. It’s an obvious win for the Sharks. They have a very young team and like Chicago they have plenty of cap space and need for quality vets to help set the tone for a few years. At any point if he plays well maybe a contender gives something up at a deadline for him. If not, his cost won’t affect their cap. They wanted to make sure they got him so this was the easiest way for that.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Surprising amount of consternation with this move. It’s an obvious win for the Sharks. They have a very young team and like Chicago they have plenty of cap space and need for quality vets to help set the tone for a few years. At any point if he plays well maybe a contender gives something up at a deadline for him. If not, his cost won’t affect their cap. They wanted to make sure they got him so this was the easiest way for that.
Picking up bad players to play on bad teams is not an obvious win. You need to surround young players with good players.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
That doesn't make them correct. Bad acquisitions happen all the time.
I’ve never heard a bad word about this guy, supposedly a great vet in the room and he’s won the cup. Very easy to see potential value there, and he can play in the bottom six on that team. If he gets his game back on track he could have value later in the contract. Even if he did suck it wouldn’t change the path for that team, nor would it change if he was amazing. If you feel the intangibles make sense there’s zero reason to not do this. They can still find other “better” role players to hopefully appease you.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I’ve never heard a bad word about this guy, supposedly a great vet in the room and he’s won the cup. Very easy to see potential value there, and he can play in the bottom six on that team. If he gets his game back on track he could have value later in the contract. Even if he did suck it wouldn’t change the path for that team, nor would it change if he was amazing. If you feel the intangibles make sense there’s zero reason to not do this. They can still find other “better” role players to hopefully appease you.
Except for that reason being he's not a good hockey player. I don't care if he has all the intangibles and leadership qualities in the world. It's never going to make up for the fact that a player gets boatraced whenever he's on the ice.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
For a team that will face challenges in signing anyone, trading the one sucker they do lure will be a great reference for future UFA'S.

Yeah, you should go that route.

the idea that trading a player to a presumed contender would hurt SJ's reputation, yet claiming a player that obviously did not want to join the Sharks won't is pretty funny.

Rebuilding teams flip assets at the deadline all the time, it's the natural cycle in the league. What doesn't happen all the time is teams working together to get around a players NTC and put him somewhere he doesn't want to play. Pretty sure the latter would be more damaging to SJ's reputation.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Except for that reason being he's not a good hockey player. I don't care if he has all the intangibles and leadership qualities in the world. It's never going to make up for the fact that a player gets boatraced whenever he's on the ice.

That's a feature, not a bug. SJ wants a vet who can help their current kids develop/keep a positive attitude in a losing environment. But they DON'T want a vet who will play them out of a top 10 pick in the 2025 draft. SJ doesn't yet have all the ingredients for the dish they want to cook. As such, they don't want to bring in a chef (a good player to pull it all together). They just need a reliable cooler to keep their current ingredients from spoiling while they keep shopping.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That's a feature, not a bug. SJ wants a vet who can help their current kids develop/keep a positive attitude in a losing environment. But they DON'T want a vet who will play them out of a top 10 pick in the 2025 draft. SJ doesn't yet have all the ingredients for the dish they want to cook. As such, they don't want to bring in a chef (a good player to pull it all together). They just need a reliable cooler to keep their current ingredients from spoiling while they keep shopping.
And it's a poor choice at that.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

It's only this season the Sharks have all three retention slots filled. So I could see Grier thinking ahead that if Goodrow has a good year for them, they can move him take off season for some value.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
It's only this season the Sharks have all three retention slots filled. So I could see Grier thinking ahead that if Goodrow has a good year for them, they can move him take off season for some value.

I thought the Burns retention slot was already reserved for Logan Couture?

This idea that NHL teams are acquiring players because it won't hurt them in their quest for a lottery pick in 2025 is complete lunacy. If the Sharks acquired Goodrow, either they are getting a separate deal done with the Rangers that has already been agreed upon that is a pure win for SJ; OR, the Sharks believe Goodrow will come in and help guys like Celebrini and Smith and Eklund and Bordeleau develop them as professional as quickly as possible.

People get fired all the time before a rebuild begins, when a rebuild has already started, when a rebuild is perceived to be over...at any time basically.

You have to win, bottom line.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I thought the Burns retention slot was already reserved for Logan Couture?
Couture's contract expires the same year that Smith/Celebrini's ELCs will, so I don't think we have any reason to trade him. If he's unhealthy, then he's worthless and no one will trade for him anyway.

Reactions: Jag68Sid87

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad