Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2024-25 Summer Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
Where I'm at right now, all of this is of course barring any trades:

1) There's too many young guys that have fought hard and will fight hard in the future for a spot for Vrana. It sucks, I wish him the best, I hope he gets an NHL deal elsewhere, but it's time to move on.

2) Because of cap shenanigans, I see almost no way that Bear isn't sent through waivers to start the season. It's the only way that they can keep Oshie on LTI to start the season and maximize the LTIR pool for him.

3) You have to give Cristall or Rybynski at least 2 or 3 regular season games. As Friedman always says, the players know who deserves to be there and both of them are having better camps than other guys potentially on the bubble. I would assume they don't stick (which is completely fine!) and that eventually the middle 6 is McM-PLD-Wilson, Milano-Lappy-Protas. I would love to see Cristall-PLD-Wilson, Milano-McM-Protas on opening night though. Doesn't mean he's played poorly or can't come up later, but Miro has pretty clearly been beaten out to me.

Reactions: swansonsays

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
Also I'm tired of the "rather have young guys play top line minutes in Hershey than sit or play 10 minutes in the NHL" sentiment. There's a whole lot of value in being able to practice and travel with the big club and the number one thing the organization is concerned with is making the NHL club as good as possible. Lapierre can sit for a couple games and he will be fine.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Some people taking crazy pills.

Lapierre > CMM, Protas, Milano, Vrana, etc. it’s not even especially close. He drives play more than any of these players.

If Cristall gets a shot, it should be to see if he, along with our other best players, play well together. Players like Lapierre.

Honestly, being waiver exempt doesn’t make him in any way waiveable. Plays great here, then goes back to Hershey and is playoff MVP.

Someone please explain how Vrana makes us in any way better than Lapierre?

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
After running out of players to use in the playoffs last season, I wouldn’t be so fast to get rid of any healthy capable players

I do not think Cristal can handle 82 NHL games at this point. He might not even last his 9 games before going back to JRs

NHL teams need a lot more than 18 opening night players for a long season.

Reactions: Lou Sassole

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
After running out of players to use in the playoffs last season, I wouldn’t be so fast to get rid of any healthy capable players

I do not think Cristal can handle 82 NHL games at this point. He might not even last his 9 games before going back to JRs

NHL teams need a lot more than 18 opening night players for a long season.

How many games a season is Vrana averaging his last few years lol…?

• Wow
Reactions: 43sfriends

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
As far as Cristall for me send him back to juniors. Not saying he has done bad in TC but don't feel the point of a performative keeping him on the big club.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

I really don’t like this quote.

It reads very strongly to me as “you’re a nice guy but…”

It’s bad if a guy comes in and does everything to earn a spot but doesn’t get it because of waiver/contract status. Another year in juniors is wasted. We have a potentially very god player here.
Freudian slip?

Reactions: Calicaps

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Where I'm at right now, all of this is of course barring any trades:

1) There's too many young guys that have fought hard and will fight hard in the future for a spot for Vrana. It sucks, I wish him the best, I hope he gets an NHL deal elsewhere, but it's time to move on.

2) Because of cap shenanigans, I see almost no way that Bear isn't sent through waivers to start the season. It's the only way that they can keep Oshie on LTI to start the season and maximize the LTIR pool for him.

3) You have to give Cristall or Rybynski at least 2 or 3 regular season games. As Friedman always says, the players know who deserves to be there and both of them are having better camps than other guys potentially on the bubble. I would assume they don't stick (which is completely fine!) and that eventually the middle 6 is McM-PLD-Wilson, Milano-Lappy-Protas. I would love to see Cristall-PLD-Wilson, Milano-McM-Protas on opening night though. Doesn't mean he's played poorly or can't come up later, but Miro has pretty clearly been beaten out to me.
Yes… all of this. Was going to say similar after i caught up after being out for a few days.

Getting opening roster cap hit to $88M is going to be really hard. Bear helps that cause to at least start. I also think there could be a trade before season that would add cap space.

In terms of Vrana, we don’t need any more 28 year old players. Last two years maybe. Now what we need is out 23-26 year olds grow including Lappy. I’d prefer to see more youth in the lineup especially with Leonard likely coming late in year and next. I’d probably waive Vrana and let him try to pick up somewhere else. He may still be available early or throughout the season.

On Cristal. I’d like to keep him up for 9 games. And he might even be a player I’d keep up all year. He can grow here. Be with the big club trainers which will help his training and weight gain. If he is a healthy scratch for 5 straight games, there is a loophole which allows him to go to Hershey for a two week conditioning stint. Not sure how many times that can happen. Downside is cap hit is low for opening roster load.

Lastly on Lapierre. He will be fine. He does need to have a good game. But he is our 3C to start the season and we need him to take another jump in the NHL this year. He has graduated.

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
Yes… all of this. Was going to say similar after i caught up after being out for a few days.

Getting opening roster cap hit to $88M is going to be really hard. Bear helps that cause to at least start. I also think there could be a trade before season that would add cap space.

In terms of Vrana, we don’t need any more 28 year old players. Last two years maybe. Now what we need is out 23-26 year olds grow including Lappy. I’d prefer to see more youth in the lineup especially with Leonard likely coming late in year and next. I’d probably waive Vrana and let him try to pick up somewhere else. He may still be available early or throughout the season.

On Cristal. I’d like to keep him up for 9 games. And he might even be a player I’d keep up all year. He can grow here. Be with the big club trainers which will help his training and weight gain. If he is a healthy scratch for 5 straight games, there is a loophole which allows him to go to Hershey for a two week conditioning stint. Not sure how many times that can happen. Downside is cap hit is low for opening roster load.

Lastly on Lapierre. He will be fine. He does need to have a good game. But he is our 3C to start the season and we need him to take another jump in the NHL this year. He has graduated.
Agreed on most points.

I do believe Lappy has to make this team still. If he doesn’t improve in the last two pre-season games I think he goes down to Hershey and McMichael moves to center.

As far as Vrana goes, give him a deal that can be buried in the AHL if need be. I think he has been decent and could be a 13th forward.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Ouch. Would assume Habs fans still believing they'll win the SC.

I remember back in the day a lot of the Laine fanboys were saying he would end up scoring more goals than Ovechkin. They cited him having 80 goals combined through his age 18 and 19 seasons as the main reason. Ovechkin's rookie season started when he was 20 years old.

Laine only needs 649 more goals to tie Ovechkin.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
I'll reiterate there is a option for Cristall where if he makes the case he could stay up, playing a lighter role to start (say every 2 of 3 games) and more if warranted.

Then allow him to go the the World Juniors and make a decision about where he finishes the season depending on how he does overall (Caps or WHL).

Gives him a chance to make a transition to the NHL with a start that is a little less pressure but is still a competition. Lets him reach for the moon and win the spot if he can. Allows the forward progress to continue and potential accelerate. Don't want to arbitrarily short circuit that potential.

Keep in mind the 9 game rule only affects ELC slide, not ability to send him down to the WHL later.

Again has to be 100% on merit.

Last edited:

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
This was a fun post. Hard to believe Ovie got Belfour that much. I barley remember them facing off.

He must have lit him up his last season on the Panthers

Attachments

• IMG_6758.png
    IMG_6758.png
    639.8 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: ArmadilloThumb

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Is the 9 games count games in the press box or just games he skates?
It’s games played. He has to be on active game roster to count.

there is also a loophole which if he is healthy scratched 5 straight games, he can do a two-week conditioning stint in Hershey. IF he earns it and continue to play well and develop, I am all for keeping Cristal all season.

I think if he can play 25-30 games with caps plus a few on conditioning stint with Bears, along with living the pro life where he has better facilities, travel, food, trainers, etc, that will be a better development year than playing in WHL. Give up the slide. We can afford this now. And if we must, send him back to WHL.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Ok, dug a bit and it would seem that while Caps have said they will LTIR this year he is still officially on IR. Which is good because we can use his opening Cap on IR and then move him to LTIR.

Put this together on PuckPedia which includes Oshie on IR. Cristal on the opening roster. Bear moved to Hershey to burry 1.1M and Lapierre on a paper move. Only 70k of Cap Space so max LTIR.

IMG_0125.jpeg

IMG_0126.jpeg

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
Wildcard could still be Miroshnichenko making a strong case in the last two games. His drive and desire is on par with Cristall.

Could put pressure on Milano...

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Wildcard could still be Miroshnichenko making a strong case in the last two games. His drive and desire is on par with Cristall.

Could put pressure on Milano...
I’d like to see Cristal early in the season with Miro going to Hershey. I think he still has development he can do there. But I’d like to see him get a good number of games with Caps this year as earned.

I think I’d be down with Vrana at 1.1M which can be fully buried. He could be 13/14F in WSH. Don’t want him getting in way of youth but i think Miro has plenty to do in Hershey. And if Cristal goes at some point that also gets him closer to playing game in WSH. We need the depth.

Also the luxury of being able to afford a 1.9M Milano as 13F is a really good problem to have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad