Claimed off Waivers: [SJS] F Barclay Goodrow claimed by San Jose

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
As far as reaching the cap floor, the alternative to this is to overpay in UFA with salary and term. Depending on how fast the Sharks turn it around, that's a lot more damaging to their competitiveness down the line.

It is funny how the Rangers got out of this deal. But they're going to re-sign Lindgren with term so they'll have another mistake on their books for a long time.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
As far as reaching the cap floor, the alternative to this is to overpay in UFA with salary and term. Depending on how fast the Sharks turn it around, that's a lot more damaging to their competitiveness down the line.

It is funny how the Rangers got out of this deal. But they're going to re-sign Lindgren with term so they'll have another mistake on their books for a long time.

The Rangers legit weasel their way out of every bad contract, they sign tons of them so I guess maybe they just have more opportunities to "thrive" in that regard

• Haha
Reactions: RangersFan1994

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I'm actually shocked that people, Sharks fans no less, legit think that Grier would actively help out another team. Like, the way more likely scenario is that Drury was honest with Grier and told him that there would be no trade / they were willing to let Goodrow sit in the minors. This option is much better for the Rangers, so why not be totally upfront with a team that had no other way of getting the player?

Reactions: Curufinwe

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Good soldier, bad contract.
Not an issue for Sharks though.

He'll do well for them. They need some vets.

If it's over $3-3.5M aav I hope they let him go.

Girardi 2.0.

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
I don't think there are any favors going either way here. People always big brain acquisitions like this but the simplest explanation is, the Sharks wanted him for whatever reasons they have.

There are worse players who are going to play bigger roles this season. The NHL adores bad players. Tanner Glass played over 500 games.
Much worse though? I think he was the worst player on the ice for the rangers advanced stats wise in the playoffs, he just shot 20% for a few games.

He is a negative value player imo.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
San Jose doesn’t care if it’s a bad contract lol. They will remain bad for years to come, they can afford a bad deal or two. In fact, they need some to reach the cap floor.

I would probably try reaching the cap floor by signing a potentially good player who might have trade value

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
As has been outlined, cap hit is irrelevant when it comes to San Jose. The only time it'll come into play is when they look to move him for assets at a deadline when the contract is winding down. The most confusing thing of course is why didn't San Jose get an asset out of bailing out the Rangers but it looks like the modified NTC worked in the Rangers favor here because if San Jose wanted him that bad their options were claim him or don't get him at all.

Reactions: Yemeth and gump116

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I would probably try reaching the cap floor by signing a potentially good player who might have trade value
Who exactly is this potentially good player who in their right mind would like to sign for San Jose at this point of their rebuild?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Who exactly is this potentially good player who in their right mind would like to sign for San Jose at this point of their rebuild?

You might be underestimating how many hockey players are looking for a job on July 1st. There’s much worse places to live than California. Not everyone has the luxury or desire to make competing for a Cup their main focus. Throw darts at a few younger players who have the chance to be more productive with increased usage and can potentially have value in the trade market later on.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
You might be underestimating how many hockey players are looking for a job on July 1st. There’s much worse places to live than California. Not everyone has the luxury or desire to make competing for a Cup their main focus. Throw darts at a few younger players who have the chance to be more productive with increased usage and can potentially have value in the trade market later on.
So who exactly?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Ridiculous. The Sharks let the Rangers off the hook big time. They could have gotten a draft pick from the Rangers if they wanted Goodrow that bad and get an asset out of it, so much stupidity from team GMs today (taking the PLD contract etc.) that it's making my head spin.

That's what happens when you hire inexperienced GMs.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
As has been outlined, cap hit is irrelevant when it comes to San Jose. The only time it'll come into play is when they look to move him for assets at a deadline when the contract is winding down. The most confusing thing of course is why didn't San Jose get an asset out of bailing out the Rangers but it looks like the modified NTC worked in the Rangers favor here because if San Jose wanted him that bad their options were claim him or don't get him at all.
Exactly. and the other option of waiting for a buyout was not going to work either. Clearly Goodrow would have signed elsewhere. So it was claim him at full price, or don't.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
How many of them are respected leaders for 18-20 year olds?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
So who exactly?

sure let me take a chunk of time out of my workday to research possibilities for a team I don't care about because a prole is making the argument that "actually, they HAD to take on a terrible contract while getting no assets in return to hit the cap floor." I gave you an archetype that are available every July 1st. It really, really should not be impossible to convince some guys to sign in beautiful weather with plenty of top 6 opportunities to play with guys like Celebrini and Smith. The idea that they could not possibly reach the cap floor by any more productive means is absurd.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
sure let me take a chunk of time out of my workday to research possibilities for a team I don't care about because a prole is making the argument that "actually, they HAD to take on a terrible contract while getting no assets in return to hit the cap floor." I gave you an archetype that are available every July 1st. It really, really should not be impossible to convince some guys to sign in beautiful weather with plenty of top 6 opportunities to play with guys like Celebrini and Smith.
If you are a young, upcoming player in free agency, you will plenty of other teams to choose from. Teams that could be actually winning.

If you can't give me an example of such players available July 1st, at least give me past signings for bottom teams.

Reactions: Profet

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
If you are a young, upcoming player in free agency, you will plenty of other teams to choose from. Teams that could be actually winning.

If you can't give me an example of such players available July 1st, at least give me past signings for bottom teams.

look at what Anaheim did with Frank Vatrano. A guy who had obvious upside but wasn't getting huge opportunities on good teams. Signed on a bad team down the road while still having some prime years left, was probably their best player last year and will return a lot if dealt this year. To be clear I said younger than Goodrow, I'm not saying they have to be 23.

Obviously they won't all work out that well, but you give yourself a chance of getting a great asset. There is no chance Goodrow turns into that.

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
Sharks had number 1 waiver priority. We will probably never know, but it’s possible other teams also put in a claim.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Really odd that he's getting waived right now in the middle of the cup finals. No one is going to claim him obviously, so what's really the purpose?

Oh they're delusional and hoping someone claims him.

Oh boy, between this and your predictions in the Markstrom thread, it was a tough day of predicting wasn’t it?

I’m also mostly joking, I for the most part agreed with your predictions. That’s what I keep most to myself because I’ve given up trying to understand NHL GMs

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Ridiculous. The Sharks let the Rangers off the hook big time. They could have gotten a draft pick from the Rangers if they wanted Goodrow that bad and get an asset out of it, so much stupidity from team GMs today (taking the PLD contract etc.) that it's making my head spin.
We don’t know what goes on in the dressing room, maybe he’s viewed around the league as a great leader and plays the “Foligno” role for SJ and is there to keep the kids efforts in check during what will undoubtedly be a brutal season

Reactions: SnS

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Much worse though? I think he was the worst player on the ice for the rangers advanced stats wise in the playoffs, he just shot 20% for a few games.

He is a negative value player imo.
The Rangers literally had a worse player playing 20 minutes a game in the playoffs.

He should be a negative value player but the league loves bad players.

Cody Ceci is taking a regular shift in the SCF.

This guy had multiple suitors as a trade deadline acquisition:
download - 2024-06-20T114307.838.png

Reactions: Wierzbowski426

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad