Confirmed Trade: [SJS/EDM] D Cody Ceci, '25 3rd round pick for D Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I thought I remembered that NYR fans were not happy about losing him on waivers, I thought his stock was higher
If you take HFBoards as its own kind of perverse market of evaluation, the truth is probably in the middle.

Emberson has some value as 3rd pairing RD, with upside to 2nd pairing if he is a late developer. But he's probably not immediately slotting in as a 2nd pairing and breaking out amazingly. Sure, it's possible. It's also possible that he's waived out of camp. That's also not likely. But can he have some value? Definitely, he was a quiet surprise for the Sharks in the 30g he was healthy.

Some Sharks fans (myself included) are a little bummed that we gave him up in this transaction, but time will tell. Others think that he's a replacement level depth player who had to play 50g to avoid UFA, plus we're up against the 50 contract limit, so who cares.

Also it's pretty funny to see the schizophrenia around the discussion re: market price. There's a lot of illogic going on. "Grier got fleeced," because that market is invisible to us so people can just pretend that the price should have been a 1st or 2nd (even though EDM has neither in 2025, and there could have been multiple teams in on the cap dump). However, Broberg's market value is now 4.5MM because that's what the offer sheet dictates it is, since two teams are willing to pay him that, so that's now an OK price for him even if people would want it lower.

The clear winners, as others have said, are Holloway and Broberg who got big raises no matter what. STL comes out neutral or with 1-2 roster additions. EDM loses a controversial vet (some love it, some think it may not look so good in April), makes space to sign one or both offer sheets, and gets a prospect back. SJS improves their blue line with a well-liked RD (sadly, immediately our best defenseman), gets a 3rd, likely gets another 3rd or so at the TDL, and moves a roster player out who we probably wouldn't have been able to keep beyond this year anyway.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
is the offer sheet thread locked because it's over, they matched?

(it might have happened and I missed it, but I don't see a thread that says something else happened other than this maneuver which indicates they plan to match at least one if not both)

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I think you'll be surprised how much your playoff roster misses guys like Ceci, McLeod, Foegele, maybe Holloway. Guys that thrive when the sport becomes about size, speed, playing simple hockey.

Here is your new guy vs Nate MacKinnon. Perfect playoff play. Tough and very ineffective. This guy clearly isn't as big a Ceci. Not nearly as durable either.

It's going to be appropriate when Edmonton goes into the 2025 playoffs with just one or maybe none of Skinner, Avadsson and Emberson even available to suit up.

He threw a body check and successfully separated the opposing player (who just so happened to be the league MVP) from the puck. How the hell is this supposed to be an indictment of him?

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
I am a bit confused as to why Grier is ok being a dumping ground for marginal roster/draft capital improvements, but in the end this stuff won't matter nearly as much as key decisions he's made like taking Dickinson over Buium or trading Hertl when he did for that return in terms of whether or not the rebuild was successful.

Edit: I didn't mean to insult "that return" in the Hertl trade, merely to say it's a much more impactful choice he made to make that trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Quincy

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I am a bit confused as to why Grier is ok being a dumping ground for marginal roster/draft capital improvements, but in the end this stuff won't matter nearly as much as key decisions he's made like taking Dickinson over Buium or trading Hertl when he did for that return in terms of whether or not the rebuild was successful.
Is he really a dumping ground? It’s not like free agents were jumping at the chance to come to a team still a few years away from competing unless the money was ridiculous (like Wennberg). Ceci and his 3.25 is ideal for a team with a lot of fluidity on the blue line, and constantly changing the pieces on the backend is only going to make it harder for the young forwards to develop naturally. Trading Hertl was an opportunity to bring in more picks and prospects with minimal retention on a guy who is going to be untradable in two years.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
is the offer sheet thread locked because it's over, they matched?

(it might have happened and I missed it, but I don't see a thread that says something else happened other than this maneuver which indicates they plan to match at least one if not both)
Think that thread was just devolving into flaming and no new info was coming out so mods decided to lock for now. As far as I know, we have no concrete reporting on whether or not the oil will match (and probably won’t until there is an official announcement later tonight or tomorrow morning).

Reactions: PocketNines

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Is he really a dumping ground? It’s not like free agents were jumping at the chance to come to a team still a few years away from competing unless the money was ridiculous (like Wennberg). Ceci and his 3.25 is ideal for a team with a lot of fluidity on the blue line, and constantly changing the pieces on the backend is only going to make it harder for the young forwards to develop naturally. Trading Hertl was an opportunity to bring in more picks and prospects with minimal retention on a guy who is going to be untradable in two years.
I can tell you Devils fans were jumping for joy when Vanecek was traded to SJ last trade deadline and they got out of his contract. In general I think Arizona and Bill Armstrong basically did it perfectly, acquire as much draft capital as you can for the prospect pool / trades whenever a Vet needs to be traded, use the fact that you have open NHL spots to see if borderline guys are actually NHLers and/or potentially boost their value in trades (like Grier did with Emberson to be fair).

In any case I'm mostly saying I don't think it's a big deal. If Grier had held out for a 2nd in this trade that's obviously better, and I imagine a lot more posters here would be praising it but it's not going to be what determines if the rebuild's successful.

Reactions: coooldude

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I wonder if Sharks figure they get a 3rd now and when teams want to add another RD they will get another 2nd or 3rd.

Really felt a 2nd was the right value

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I can tell you Devils fans were jumping for joy when Vanecek was traded to SJ last trade deadline and they got out of his contract. In general I think Arizona and Bill Armstrong basically did it perfectly, acquire as much draft capital as you can for the prospect pool / trades whenever a Vet needs to be traded, use the fact that you have open NHL spots to see if borderline guys are actually NHLers and/or potentially boost their value in trades (like Grier did with Emberson to be fair).

In any case I'm mostly saying I don't think it's a big deal. If Grier had held out for a 2nd in this trade that's obviously better, and I imagine a lot more posters here would be praising it but it's not going to be what determines if the rebuild's successful.
Except maybe if he held out for a second rounder then the deal would not have been done. He wouldn't have got the useful veteran and wouldn't have the pick. Only good things happened to the Sharks from that trade. So is it a bad move because it could have been better?

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
And here I was told it was going to require 1sts to move out Ceci
It probably should have (or at the very least a 2nd round pick) but no one could have guessed that mike grier negotiates like the Germans from the Simpsons :

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
He just sucks. I don’t hate the guy or anything. I know a thing about bad GMs.
*team wins stanley cup

“I kNoW a ThInG aBoUt BaD gMs!!”

It probably should have (or at the very least a 2nd round pick) but no one could have guessed that mike grier negotiates like the Germans from the Simpsons :

Ah yes, the always accurate HF board message board value chart trumping the real
World.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
People seriously still think the Hertl trade was bad for the Sharks? Yeesh.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Except maybe if he held out for a second rounder then the deal would not have been done. He wouldn't have got the useful veteran and wouldn't have the pick. Only good things happened to the Sharks from that trade. So is it a bad move because it could have been better?
Yes, for one, negotiations don't happen in vacuum. He's essentially setting the price for "cap dumps" into the future with his moves, and that determines the price of the next one. And secondly it's not even clear to me Ceci would have more trade value than Emberson if he decided to move him at the deadline given their contract situations. So if he came out ahead it's a situation where it's not unquestionably ahead, maybe like a 60-70% chance that Ceci provides more for the team this year and into the future than Emberson.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah, that’s not how it works.
Ok.

I think he just liked Ceci and did the trade for that reason to be honest and it's not about squeezing out some more draft capital, but if he were trying to follow the Armstrong model that is how it works. The price is what the market bears, and if you are undercutting everyone that becomes the baseline price that all negotiations work from.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
What’s the plan if he leaves in 2 years?
He's still an RFA in two years, so if he proves to be a long term solution, he gets re-signed long term, or I suppose offer sheeted again and we go through all of the "will they/won't they" again in 2 years. If he proves to be the Ekholm replacement many of us hope he could be, then he'll be re-signed, obviously.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
This move could also just mean Kane is healthy and they still walk away from both Broberg and Holloway.

Guess we will find out tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad