Confirmed Trade: [SJS/EDM] D Cody Ceci, '25 3rd round pick for D Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
So are Oiler fans going to pivot back to "he's a great defenseman with upside" after trashing him and saying the Blues are stupid for offering him $4.6 million? Asking for a friend.
I think everyone will just go back to ignoring the irrelevant franchise the St.L Blues have become.

Don't worry. You'll get some more exciting times in March when you can speculate which contender you can trade Faksa to for a 4th.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Hilarious because overpaying guys was exactly what the Blues did with the RFA offersheets because they couldn't attract any free agents.

Oilers meanwhile signed like 4 guys to bargain contracts.

Seems like you don't like living in reality. :laugh:

Key words "have to." We don't need either guy but it was a good chance to catch a clueless front office napping. If the Oil could take care of their own prospects then the offer sheet never would have happened. But I'm sure they were looking for an escape route.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Arviddsson. Skinner. Henrique? Yall sleep through free agency?

We know clueless Armstrong did. Maybe he's taking advice from the legend Pete Chiarelli.

Key words "have to." We don't need either guy but it was a good chance to catch a clueless front office napping. If the Oil could take care of their own prospects then the offer sheet never would have happened. But I'm sure they were looking for an escape route.
Blues kind of had to because they are desperate to make the playoffs.

They have an old D-core that is bad and aging out to go with their flash in the pan starter that hasn't done anything since the cup year.

Then some run of the mill forwards making big bucks. Kind of a stuck in the mediocre middle situation going on. Good luck to them in 5-6 years when they are back to being competitive.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Stecher could probably fill in for a bit. He's not bad. Wouldn't want for it to be too long with the kind of expectations Edmonton has, there's a reason he's on his 6th NHL team.
The reason Stecher is on his 6th team is because 3 of those teams traded for him as a rental for the playoffs. I wouldn't read too much into that number.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The reason Stecher is on his 6th team is because 3 of those teams traded for him as a rental for the playoffs. I wouldn't read too much into that number.

The reason he's on his 6th team after 500 games making less than a million per is because he's garden variety depth. Not a particularly well kept garden either.

If he was really worth keeping someone would have kept him by now.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Not sure why everyone is so sure Edmonton is matching on Broberg. Does Broberg even want to be in Edmonton? If he doesn't you push the problem down the road. Also if he doesn't want to be in Edmonton does. he come back and pouts and play like crap.

Maybe the Oilers matches Holloway and have a very deep forward core and add at the trade deadline as Kane's NTC becomes a limited one and he has to give a list of 15 teams he would accept a trade to .

Skinner McD Hyman
RNH Draisaitl Arvidsson
Holloway Henrique Brown
Pod Janmark Perry

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Emberson
Kulak Stecher/Brown/Kemp

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Technically until the oiler match he’s property of the blues, and still ineligible to be traded

Technically his rights are still owned by the Oilers right now—not the Blues—pending resolution of the offer sheet. Oilers cannot trade those rights though due to the offer sheet rule restrictions.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Fun gossip says we match hollaway, put on waivers for SJ to pick up. Payback and thanks to SJ, FU blues ! Lol

Seems improbable. The league won’t look kindly on trying to circumvent the CBA by “trading” a player who can’t be traded. Unless Edmonton is planning on matching, forgoing the 3rd they’d get from St Louis, and then losing Holloway on waivers for nothing? Which makes no sense.

Reactions: j c petit

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Ceci sucks, but i'm really not surprised he didn't cost a fortune to dump. He's a big RHD. That's an extra pick or prospect at the deadline and in the meantime, the Sharks can still use some veteran bodies. Sharks are in the awkward position that they can't retain, so that'll hurt the market on Ceci even more than his braindead mistakes at the deadline...but there will be teams, especially at the bubble who can make room for a $3.25M hit at that point. Between accrual, LTIR'd players, etc. Someone will be a taker, or they'll find an intermediary to do the retention for a pick.

Reactions: QuizGuy66

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Thirsty ass hockey fans in August :laugh:
least Doug Armstrong has gave the blog and podcast people something to chew on this month

None of Broberg, Ceci, Holloway, Emberson, Podkolzin are really players that move the needle much. None of the 2nd and 3rd and 4th picks involved are likely to make any sort of impact until 2028 at the earliest.

Ceci isn't great but his contract wasn't awful. 3.25 and 1 year remaining? People were expecting a 1st to offload that for a guy who played 20 minutes a night on a team that went to the SCF? That's just ridiculous lol
How does Edmonton replace those minutes? Josh Brown or Troy Stecher are going to play 2nd pair RD? Broberg on his offside? Do they have some young guy out of nowhere? Not done making moves? What's the plan there Stan?

Broberg and Ceci played pretty similar minutes in the Finals, 16:49 for Broberg, 17:46 for Ceci, Broberg was +7, Ceci was a even 0.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What happened in the other 96 games?

I'm just saying, that's how it was trending as the season went on against the toughest competition you can get.

If the Oilers really are that hard on for Cody Ceci they can probably have him back for peanuts at the deadline since he'll probably be -30 in that San Jose system, might need a 3rd team to retain.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'm just saying, that's how it was trending as the season went on against the toughest competition you can get.

If the Oilers really are that hard on for Cody Ceci they can probably have him back for peanuts at the deadline since he'll probably be -30 in that San Jose system.

Not sure you can call two weeks a solid trend but sure maybe. Guys get tired and banged up, especially in a long playoff run and especially defenseman. Not playing a fresh as a daisy 23 year old former 8th overall pick minutes in that series would have been almost criminal coaching negligence.

I'll pour one out for the Nurse-Ceci pairing though, that shit was funny.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
I think everyone will just go back to ignoring the irrelevant franchise the St.L Blues have become.

Don't worry. You'll get some more exciting times in March when you can speculate which contender you can trade Faksa to for a 4th.
Lol who has won a cup and who has had 5 or 6 top 5 picks and aint d9ne didly poo...

Arviddsson. Skinner. Henrique? Yall sleep through free agency?

We know clueless Armstrong did. Maybe he's taking advice from the legend Pete Chiarelli.

Blues kind of had to because they are desperate to make the playoffs.

They have an old D-core that is bad and aging out to go with their flash in the pan starter that hasn't done anything since the cup year.

Then some run of the mill forwards making big bucks. Kind of a stuck in the mediocre middle situation going on. Good luck to them in 5-6 years when they are back to being competitive.
I love how you have no clue what your talking about none

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
lol @ people think the Oilers would need to attach a high pick to Ceci

good cap dump deal...got a player who played in the NHL last year plus room to to re-sign Broberg
Oilers did very well here. I would've wanted a 2nd and maybe settled for a 3rd without including Emberson. Oh well, it is what it is. Hockey trade markets are often unpredictable. And I'm happy for the Oilers that they can "get back" at St Louis by opening the room to match on the player they actually wanted, especially since it seems like Holloway was just a way to try to steal Broberg.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Broberg and Ceci played pretty similar minutes in the Finals, 16:49 for Broberg, 17:46 for Ceci, Broberg was +7, Ceci was a even 0.
Check out Broberg's PDO and you'll see why he was a +7. Dude was badly outshot, outchanced and out "high dangered" during the playoffs. Not saying he's bad, just that the +- needs context.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I would take Broberg over Ceci and a third-round pick every day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad