Confirmed with Link: Sens sign Calen Addison (D) and Nikolay Kulemin (F) to PTO's

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I assume most of these guys get PTOs for reasons other than being seen as important players in the NHL. Favors to agents, training camp fodder/competition, potential injury replacements if multiple guys go down, depth AHL players etc.

I'd be shocked if either have any relevance on the NHL team this year. At absolute best one of them occasionally logs 8-12 mins/game for short periods of time because something else went wrong.
Brassard became a regular for us from a PTO did he not?

Reactions: Dionysus

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If some think that we have improved the defensive squad by replacing Chychrun and Brannstrom by 34 y/o Jensen and Addison, they might be in for a big surprise.

Addison is better than JBD, but his style doesn't seem to be what someone like Kleven would need to succeed. I'd put JBD as more suited for that and overall has what Staios seems to want for the roster so I think JBD will be our 3RD to start the season

I've seen several comments saying that Addison is better than JBD but I wonder what this is based on. He was let go by the worst NHL team as a 24 y/o RFA (and it's not like Brannstrom who had a 2M$ QO) in the midst of their rebuild, a team who really needs to add talent.

I have already talked about it in this thread but the only thing Addison seems to do decently at a NHL level is playing on the PP. Don't think he's a NHL player outside of that, which is also what the Wild and Sharks (and maybe even the Pens) might have thought

All that said, maybe he will figure it out in some capacity in the near future, 24 is not "too old" to do so.

Reactions: Cosmix

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
If some think that we have improved the defensive squad by replacing Chychrun and Brannstrom by 34 y/o Jensen and Addison, they might be in for a big surprise.

I've seen several comments saying that Addison is better than JBD but I wonder what this is based on. He was let go by the worst NHL team as a 24 y/o RFA (and it's not like Brannstrom who had a 2M$ QO) in the midst of their rebuild, a team who really needs to add talent.

I have already talked about it in this thread but the only thing Addison seems to do decently at a NHL level is playing on the PP. Don't think he's a NHL player outside of that, which is also what the Wild and Sharks (and maybe even the Pens) might have thought

All that said, maybe he will figure it out in some capacity in the near future, 24 is not "too old" to do so.
Chychrun was absolutely awful in his own end last year and Chabot played down to his level when paired together. Jensen is a large improvement in his own end and that should benefit whoever he plays with. As for Brannstrom he was pretty meh last year so it won't take much to replace what he brought.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

That's not what they did.... Kleven and Jensen are replacing them. The teams problem is defending they are going to be much better at defending and slotting. Having Chychrun on the third pair was a waste and he was absolutely putrid last year. Wasnt a role he was likely happy with or embraced he did not perform. It was obvious. Jensen slots into a 2nd pair RD role as a stabilizer. Ottawa does not need Brannstrom in the slightest they have Sanderson and Chabot who are better offensive D men who are lefties. They need a defensive guy on the 3rd pair. If you watched the team at all it was blatantly obvious. Same with how bad Chychrun was.

I actually cant wrap my head around someone watching this teams d core and thinking they need more talent not more defending. Its wild. They had the easiest D core to play against in the entire NHL last year.

Addison is a depth piece no clue why you think he would be in that positiion third pair LD?.... He is a right handed defenseman on a PTO, he doesnt even have a contract.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I doubt that Staios will retain any of the PTOs he invites to camp. I think we are more likely to pick up someone off the waiver wire or in a trade prior to the waiver wire. I doubt that the impact will be large.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Chychrun was absolutely awful in his own end last year and Chabot played down to his level when paired together. Jensen is a large improvement in his own end and that should benefit whoever he plays with. As for Brannstrom he was pretty meh last year so it won't take much to replace what he brought.

ok so it looks you didn't read the link I provided to you on August 16th... This is what I told you back then :

Chychrun scored 41 pts last season, Jensen only 14. We gotta hope that Jensen major analytical/play drop last season was just a bump on the road and he'll get back to being a solid 2nd pairing defensive D-man (see link at the end of this post)

Also, you could maybe look for what Caps fans had to say about Jensen last season and how much he had declined from 2021-22

Chychrun actually had pretty good metrics when paired with Sanderson (54.1 xGF%) and even with Chabot (53.4 xGF%). Had terrible metrics with Hamonic and JBD, as it could have been expected. So yes Chychrun had a terrible stretch last season but which Jensen version are we going to get? The 2021-22 version or the 34 y/o version that was not that good last season? Is it going to be enough to offset the difference in offensive contributions?

Brannstrom meh or not, did really well analytically on the 3rd pairing role for 2 seasons now. This might come as SHOCKING for some but did you know that Erik Brannstrom the last 2 seasons combined had the 100th highest amount of points at Even Strength? With 32 teams and 128 Top-4 roles, not bad for a 3rd pairing guy getting secondary minutes (with crap players most of the time). Jake Sanderson had 3 more points overall in the 2 seasons. So EB had pretty decent production and even better defensive metrics in his limited role, not automatically replaceable. Exemple, you put a Hamonic level player there and it's a really bad trade.

The game is not about what we see in the Sens rookie tournament right now, that's not hockey, at least not in the current decades. The game is about outworking and out-chancing your opponent, until you end up scoring more goals than them. That's what I am looking in hockey players, not players like Boucher, Ben Roger or Eliasson but players that can contribute with their talent level and their hockey IQ. It's time to evolve into 2020's hockey. Our scouting and past management surely didn't

The D is without a doubt improved with Kleven and Jenson rather than Chychrun and Brannstrom

True I forgot involving Kleven and if he is for real then it could help tremendously but IMO the improvement really won't come from

34 y/o Jensen + Calen freaking Addison vs Chychrun + Erik Brannstrom

It's good if all the changes keep Hamonic from playing. Hopefully Kleven and JBD are solid and healthy as a 3rd pair and we don't see much of Hamonic or Addison

The worry is that Kleven is a rookie after all and if he has to carry Hamonic or Addison, it could get ugly.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I actually cant wrap my head around someone watching this teams d core and thinking they need more talent not more defending. Its wild. They had the easiest D core to play against in the entire NHL last year.

I frankly don't have much desire to waste too much time answering your posts but where the hell did I say this? lol It actually goes against pretty much everything I have been saying FOR YEARS. You make me laugh with your BS shots about me not understanding this or that, like proper roster construction. I have plenty of posts about this years ago. I was actually saying these things and was getting some heat for it, until it became more popular opinions.

Anyway, if you think that this roster is FINALLY properly constructed and it's going to propulse this team into contender status, go ahead and leave me alone lol.

My take is it would have to come from coaching, Ullmark/goalies, Norris and Chabot back at their best, Stutzle and Sanderson reaching their elite status.

Freedom of speech and thank you.

Addison is a depth piece no clue why you think he would be in that positiion third pair LD?.... He is a right handed defenseman on a PTO, he doesnt even have a contract.

Look, I don't have the time nor do I care to explain you every little thing. If Brannstrom didn't have a stupid 2 M$ QO, he could have been the perfect candidate at RD since he can play there and do well. He played 38% of his shifts on the right side last season... Kleven-Brannstrom could have been a really solid 3rd pairing which would also have eased Kleven into the NHL. I'm not sure any of the non-top-4 guys can do that.

That is why I would have preferred that option a LOT more than having Hamonic and/or Addison. Pretty simple. Which brings us to the point that we'll need a better partner for Kleven unless JBD progresses a lot.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I frankly don't have much desire to waste too much time answering your posts but where the hell did I say this? lol It actually goes against pretty much everything I have been saying FOR YEARS. You make me laugh with your BS shots about me not understanding this or that, like proper roster construction. I have plenty of posts about this years ago. I was actually saying these things and was getting some heat for it, until it became more popular opinions.

Anyway, if you think that this roster is FINALLY properly constructed and it's going to propulse this team into contender status, go ahead and leave me alone lol.

My take is it would have to come from coaching, Ullmark/goalies, Norris and Chabot back at their best, Stutzle and Sanderson reaching their elite status.

Freedom of speech and thank you.

Look, I don't have the time nor do I care to explain you every little thing. If Brannstrom didn't have a stupid 2 M$ QO, he could have been the perfect candidate at RD since he can play there and do well. He played 38% of his shifts on the right side last season... Kleven-Brannstrom could have been a really solid 3rd pairing which would also have eased Kleven into the NHL. I'm not sure any of the non-top-4 guys can do that.

That is why I would have preferred that option a LOT more than having Hamonic and/or Addison. Pretty simple. Which brings us to the point that we'll need a better partner for Kleven unless JBD progresses a lot.
Branntsrom never played well on RD. Couldn't see the forcheck. Went to his back hand and got smoked and turned pucks over. Advanced stats are a nice tool but they do not tell the entire story.

He didn't do great on the third pair no matter what the metrics say or they would have signed him. And he would have got more than league minimum. Eye test backed it up. Small d man who doesn't create much offense and is easy to play against. That's what he is.

Reactions: LiseL and Icelevel

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
If JBD, Addison or Hamonic end up not cutting it, I have no doubt Staios will pick up someone else.

He addressed all the holes on the team except this one. He might be hoping someone takes the role internally but he for sure has a backup plan.

Kleven is still a question mark at this point. Staios was a player, he understands how it works. I have no doubt he's still evaluating and knows he might need to add someone here.

The management team is putting an effort to push this team to the next level. If they need to grab someone for the bottom pair they will.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Branntsrom never played well on RD. Couldn't see the forcheck. Went to his back hand and got smoked and turned pucks over. Advanced stats are a nice tool but they do not tell the entire story.

Depends who he is paired with maybe? 61.5 xGF% in 231 minutes with Chabot suggests me that they didn't exactly "struggle" together. Only 1.82 xGA/60 as well, which is the 3rd lowest among all NHL pairings who played at least 230 ES minutes together

Problem with the "eye test" is mistakes are going to be GLORIFIED. The limited human brain will only remember a few events and generalize. Advanced stats keep track and do the work over the long term.

I guess it's a matter of preference. I prefer the guy who gets manhandled occasionally rather than the tough guy who gets caved in most of his shifts. I like quick and smart over big and slow (not just talking about skating).

He didn't do great on the third pair no matter what the metrics say or they would have signed him. And he would have got more than league minimum. Eye test backed it up. Small d man who doesn't create much offense and is easy to play against. That's what he is.

Opinions are not reliable... which is why I always go back to facts.

They didn't sign him because there is a brand new management and he had a 2.0 M$ QO which is more than they wanted to allow (or could afford) for that role.

If he didn't create any offense, why did he have the 93th most points at ES despite getting the 208th most ES TOI/GP? Is it because he had the extreme luck to play 44% of his shifts with either rookie JBD or over-the-hill vet Hamonic?

This was raw stats. You may not want to see some advanced stats but he had the 75th best xGF/60 (among 217 NHL D-men) when he was on the ice too (Chabot 1st and Sanderson 2nd in Ottawa)

But he provided even more quality in the defensive part of the game the last 2 years.

"easy to play against" depends on your definition. For me it's much easier to play against the likes of Erik Gudbranson and Josh Brown than Erik Brannstrom.

This is the same mentality people on the main boards who says "Erik Karlsson can't defend" have. They don't understand that quick puck recovery and swift transition is the best defense. Some people are stuck decades ago and think defense is about throwing hits, pinning guys on the board and crease clearing.

I feel like the people who say Brannstrom sucks hype up Hamonic.

I'm sure Ottawa Senators scouts would also have that opinion!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Depends who he is paired with maybe? 61.5 xGF% in 231 minutes with Chabot suggests me that they didn't exactly "struggle" together. Only 1.82 xGA/60 as well, which is the 3rd lowest among all NHL pairings who played at least 230 ES minutes together

Problem with the "eye test" is mistakes are going to be GLORIFIED. The limited human brain will only remember a few events and generalize. Advanced stats keep track and do the work over the long term.

I guess it's a matter of preference. I prefer the guy who gets manhandled occasionally rather than the tough guy who gets caved in most of his shifts. I like quick and smart over big and slow (not just talking about skating).

Opinions are not reliable... which is why I always go back to facts.

They didn't sign him because there is a brand new management and he had a 2.0 M$ QO which is more than they wanted to allow (or could afford) for that role..
Yet analytic driven gms have been the worst in hockey. Eye test and actually knowing what you're looking at while applying advanced analytics. Again he wasn't qualified. Was signed one year league minimum. So the real professionals do not agree.

you say you like 'facts' but then ignore them when they dont suit your narrative and opinion.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't say they're the worst. They've been the most disappointing or overrated.

Guys like Milbury and Dorion have been among the worst and they're not analytics guys, just idiots.
Yeah I mean those guys had full autonomy with crazy owners. And sucked. Dubas has been horrid and that GM in Arizona forget his name brutal.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yet analytic driven gms have been the worst in hockey. Eye test and actually knowing what you're looking at while applying advanced analytics. Again he wasn't qualified. Was signed one year league minimum. So the real professionals do not agree.

you say you like 'facts' but then ignore them when they dont suit your narrative and opinion.

Wait, which FACT have I ignored exactly?

And the real professionals do not agree with WHAT exactly?

I also NEVER said that a GM should be 100% driven by analytics.

Damn, you're making a hell lot of assumptions lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I know we are all passionate and while this Chychrun/Jensen/Brannstrom/Hamonic/JBD/Addison? Kleven argument is riveting stuff, the fact is if Chabot plays healthy and strong, and Sanderson takes another step. that RD spot on the 3rd pair will be an 8-10 player. That position will ont be a major factor in the success of the season

Reactions: Erik Alfredsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad