Silayev, Lindstrom, Catton, Iginla, Parekh, Eiserman

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Habs pick

• Silayev

• Lindstrom

• Catton

• Iginla

• Parekh

• Eiserman

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Columbus is picking what's left of Demidov and/or Lindstrom so their pick iis not the determinitive one. Chicago is the wildcard here.
The pick Colombus will make will determinate which player we end up with. So I would say their pick is pretty determinitive too, unless you judge Demidov and Lindstrom to be the same quality of prospect.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
The pick Colombus will make will determinate which player we end up with. So I would say their pick is pretty determinitive too, unless you judge Demidov and Lindstrom to be the same quality of prospect.
I'd be content with either one, even if Demidov is more talented. You need Lindstroms in your top 6 forward group to win Cups.

I'd also be fine with Buium IF there is a trade in place for a young top 6 F who's way better than Alex Newhook. But I'm highly skeptical that this can happen.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
My top choice, and the player most unlikely to be available at 5 OA, is Buium. All you have to know is that he is a bigger and faster version of Hutson. If you believe that Hutson is Montreal's top prospect, what more do you want?

I haven't seen much of Buium but to me the question would be what would happen if you put Lane Hutson on DU's roster. I don't think Buium has the same kind of offensive game as Hutson, who imo there has just never been anyone like him.

Last year Hutson had no one. BU's 2nd leading scorer was Matt Brown. Hutson was 1 goal away from being able to say that no one on his team had more goals, or assists or points as an 18 year old Freshman that looks like he's 12. Personally I put more stock into a player that every night teams had the same game plan, stop Lane Hutson. Clearly not the case for Buium who was tied for 9th on his team in goals, 1st in assists and 2nd in points as DU had 11 skaters with 31 or more points.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
My top choice, and the player most unlikely to be available at 5 OA, is Buium. All you have to know is that he is a bigger and faster version of Hutson. If you believe that Hutson is Montreal's top prospect, what more do you want? With probably the weakest group of forwards in the league, the Canadiens were competitive in most games last year. That was as a result of having one of the league's most mobile group of defencemen. Can you imagine a blueline n two years built around Guhle, Hutson, Buium, Reinbacher, Harris, Struble and Xhekaj? We had a chance to draft Quinn Hughes in 2017 and foolishly took a pass. Hopefully, if given the opportunity, we won't make the same mistake on Friday.

# 2 is Iginla. One of the youngest players available in the draft, Iginla has the skating, skill, offensive vision/flair and a high compete level that this team needs. Iginla is a player who projects to be a highly impactful, productive top 6 forward for this team for the next decade.

#3 is Dickinson. A large, mobile defender, Dickinson is the type of player you win with. He has great ice presence, is physical and possess an excellent shot that can overpower most goaltenders. If he had elite straightforward speed, Dickinson would be a certain top 3 pick. But his skating is more than adequate and he will provide any team that drafts him with that most valuable commodity: leadership. Dickinson has future team captain written all over him.

Just my wish list.
Didnt Mtl finished 15th out of 16 teams in goals allowed?
Without injuries to goalies and dmen.

Most mobile…
Guhle, Harris, Matheson, Savard, Kovacevic, Struble, Arber, Barron.

We know what this group is capable of. Not a whole lot…

(Offense: 14th 1 goal for away from 13th.)

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I haven't seen much of Buium but to me the question would be what would happen if you put Lane Hutson on DU's roster. I don't think Buium has the same kind of offensive game as Hutson, who imo there has just never been anyone like him.

Last year Hutson had no one. BU's 2nd leading scorer was Matt Brown. Hutson was 1 goal away from being able to say that no one on his team had more goals, or assists or points as an 18 year old Freshman that looks like he's 12. Personally I put more stock into a player that every night teams had the same game plan, stop Lane Hutson. Clearly not the case for Buium who was tied for 9th on his team in goals, 1st in assists and 2nd in points as DU had 11 skaters with 31 or more points.
I've seen quite a bit of Buium. He's phenomenal.

Reactions: Habs

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Didnt Mtl finished 15th out of 16 teams in goals allowed?
Without injuries to goalies and dmen.

Most mobile…
Guhle, Harris, Matheson, Savard, Kovacevic, Struble, Arber, Barron.

We know what this group is capable of. Not a whole lot…

(Offense: 14th 1 goal for away from 13th.)
Montreal’s defencemen scored a total of 48 goals last season which tied for 4th for most goals by a team’s defence in the league. When one considers the powerhouse of forwards they were forced to play with, that statistic is even more impressive .

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
My top choice, and the player most unlikely to be available at 5 OA, is Buium. All you have to know is that he is a bigger and faster version of Hutson. If you believe that Hutson is Montreal's top prospect, what more do you want? With probably the weakest group of forwards in the league, the Canadiens were competitive in most games last year. That was as a result of having one of the league's most mobile group of defencemen. Can you imagine a blueline n two years built around Guhle, Hutson, Buium, Reinbacher, Harris, Struble and Xhekaj? We had a chance to draft Quinn Hughes in 2017 and foolishly took a pass. Hopefully, if given the opportunity, we won't make the same mistake on Friday.
It is interesting to consider this angle. We have seen the Habs be led by the D in past years, and as you said the Habs stayed competitive because they have depth and talent on the blueline, whose youth and experience combination is great. They've been through a few seasons now and are still very young. That was part of the recipe that helped Suzuki and Caufield make such strides, though it was more the playoff experience. Anyway, I think your point is strong here, and in past years I'd be asking 'well who are the D passing to?' but we have the most legit first line we've had in a long time, and Hughes will certainly compensate a D at #5 with moves to acquire a forward via a higher pick than 26 OR through trades/FA.

# 2 is Iginla. One of the youngest players available in the draft, Iginla has the skating, skill, offensive vision/flair and a high compete level that this team needs. Iginla is a player who projects to be a highly impactful, productive top 6 forward for this team for the next decade.
One looks back on a draft and you hope you aren't the team walking away with the dud (See Kostitsyn, Andrei). Iginla is probably one of the safest picks IMO. Fans of the team who picks him will say in years that X, Y, Z could've been picked by us but we love Iggy jr. I made the comparison to Suzuki recently, and I stick by it. He's well rounded and smart so I think he'll have a high floor.

#3 is Dickinson. A large, mobile defender, Dickinson is the type of player you win with. He has great ice presence, is physical and possess an excellent shot that can overpower most goaltenders. If he had elite straightforward speed, Dickinson would be a certain top 3 pick. But his skating is more than adequate and he will provide any team that drafts him with that most valuable commodity: leadership. Dickinson has future team captain written all over him.
The way people talk about him is kind of how people talk about Toews/Weber/Chara in leadership aura. It is interesting to bring in a real stud who again has a high floor
Just my wish list.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
2018 was not a massive deviation, it was a slight deviation to address an area of need. Which is partially why I don't get why so many fans are fixated on Montreal drafting a forward no matter what.
I liked a number of players before KK. Brady was the obvious BPA.

The way I understand it is if the two BPA’s are a F & D we’ll take the F.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Levshunov will not be available at 5
Celebrini is already gone. We expect Demidov and Leschunov will be taken, Lindstrom taken if medical okay, Saliyev could be gone too. Maybe Dickinson could go at 3 or 4. Who's available are Buium, Parekh, Dickinson, Catton, Iginla, Sennecke, Eiserman and few others. 5 is a good spot to take any of these, Hugo have to pick the bpa.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Thanks for your insightful response.

A fourth player that I would have no issues with at 5 OA is probably one of the most underrated players in this draft : Yakemchuk. He has the top straight forward speed of all defencemen in this draft, his hands rival that of Hutson’s and his shot is as powerful as Dickinson’s. He’s large and is physically aggressive. He lacks some defensive acumen and his edge / agility skating ability needs improvement. But as a package, Yakemchuk offers as much upside as any defenceman in this draft if you can accept the risks that he may never fully work out and smooth the warts in his game. People marvel at Parekh’s 31 goal season but seem overlook the much larger, stronger and faster Yakemchuk’s 30 goal season.

I would be shocked if Yakemchuk goes lower than 10 OA and would have no issue if we took him at 5 OA.

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
Thanks for your insightful response.

A fourth player that I would have no issues with at 5 OA is probably one of the most underrated players in this draft : Yakemchuk. He has the top straight forward speed of all defencemen in this draft, his hands rival that of Hutson’s and his shot is as powerful as Dickinson’s. He’s large and is physically aggressive. He lacks some defensive acumen and his edge / agility skating ability needs improvement. But as a package, Yakemchuk offers as much upside as any defenceman in this draft if you can accept the risks that he may never fully work out and smooth the warts in his game. People marvel at Parekh’s 31 goal season but seem overlook the much larger, stronger and faster Yakemchuk’s 30 goal season.

I would be shocked if Yakemchuk goes lower than 10 OA and would have no issue if we took him at 5 OA.

They call him Yakembust in the W

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
It wasn't long ago that Slafkovsky was called Slafbustsky. Who cares what others think. Use your own eyes to make a critical assessment. Let's hope Hughes and Co. employ such an approach.

He plays like Brisebois

• Wow
Reactions: V13

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Here are what I have for concensus rankings ahead of McKenzie's:

Round 1

1​
Celebrini, Macklin​
2​
Demidov, Ivan​
3​
Buim, Zeev​
4​
Levshunov, Artyom​
5​
Lindstrom, Cayden​
6​
Parekh, Zayne​
7​
Dickinson, Sam​
8​
Catton, Berkly​
9​
Iginla, Tij​
10​
Silayev, Anton​
11​
Helenius, Konsta​
12​
Eiserman, Cole​
13​
Yakemchuk, Carter​
14​
Sennecke, Beckett​
15​
Brandsegg-Nygard, Michael​
16​
Greentree, Liam​
17​
Connelly, Trevor​
18​
Jiricek, Adam​
19​
Hage, Michael​
20​
Chernyshov, Igor​
21​
Luchanko, Jett​
22​
Boisvert Sacha​
23​
Artamonov, Nikita​
24​
Solberg Stian​
25​
Basha, Andrew​
26​
Hemming, Emil​
27​
Beaudoin, Cole​
28​
Ritchie, Ryder​
29​
Parascak Terik​
30​
Freij, Alfons​
31​
Stiga Teddy​
32​
Surin, Yegor​

Round 2

33​
Emery, EJ​
34​
Badinka Dominik​
35​
Vanacker, Marek​
36​
Gridin Matvei​
37​
Pettersson, Lucas​
38​
Hutson, Cole​
39​
Elick, Charlie​
40​
Sahlin Wallenius, Leo​
41​
Eriksson, Linus​
42​
Kiviharju, Aron​
43​
Mews, Henry​
44​
Miettinen, Julius​
45​
Mustard John​
46​
Howe, Tanner​
47​
Letourneau Dean​
48​
Masse, Maxim​
49​
O’Reilly, Sam​
50​
Pulkkinen Jesse​
51​
Brunicke, Harrison​
52​
Muggli, Leon​
53​
Danford, Ben​
54​
Misa, Luke​
55​
Jecho, Adam​
56​
Kleber, Adam​
57​
Bednarik Kamil​
58​
Shuravin Matvei​
59​
Galvas, Tomas​
60​
Skahan Will​
61​
Ziemer, Brodie​
62​
Marques, Miguel​
63​
Vaisanen, Veeti​
64​
Poirier, Justin​

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Montreal’s defencemen scored a total of 48 goals last season which tied for 4th for most goals by a team’s defence in the league. When one considers the powerhouse of forwards they were forced to play with, that statistic is even more impressive .
Montreal's D also played with a perpetual green light all season long that won't be the norm when they decide to get serious about competing.
That has to be factored in going forward.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Montreal's D also played with a perpetual green light all season long that won't be the norm when they decide to get serious about competing.
That has to be factored in going forward.
They played more one goal games than any other team. They are already competing by any objective standard. There's no switch that you can flick that allows your defence to have the mobility to become an offensive threat. Ask the Oilers. Saddled with an overall immobile defence, they were forechecked to death by the Panthers. Their defence's inability to avoid the first forechecker and gain the time and space to either skate or pass the puck out of their defensive zone was one of the leading contributors to the Oilers' defeat.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad