Should the Flyers Rebuild?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
And then start a follow-up thread to that follow-up thread, asking whether this board needs a rebuild, where instead of draft picks, we just start and horde more threads. Then start a new thread debating the merits of changing Just Do It's username to "threadhead"

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
like i said before we are in the middle of a half rebuild. and i hate that. What worked so well for so many teams what have done successful rebuilds is go all out. And what so many gm's get wrong is trying to expedite the rebuild.

Hexy has done a great job of aquiring young talent, that we hope can lead us to a cup. The problem is voracek, giroux and simmer. Simmer im not too worried about because his trade value is high, but going forward what happens to giroux and voracek are going to be the most important decisions impacting our rebuild. we need to figure out what we are going to do with them.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
like i said before we are in the middle of a half rebuild. and i hate that. What worked so well for so many teams what have done successful rebuilds is go all out. And what so many gm's get wrong is trying to expedite the rebuild.

Hexy has done a great job of aquiring young talent, that we hope can lead us to a cup. The problem is voracek, giroux and simmer. Simmer im not too worried about because his trade value is high, but going forward what happens to giroux and voracek are going to be the most important decisions impacting our rebuild. we need to figure out what we are going to do with them.

Again, why is it concerning? What is the point of trading them? To get more young players? I don't get it. Why is that beneficial? We already have elite prospects at every single position.

This wasn't a half rebuild. It was a full rebuild that incredibly didn't need to trade its best players to acquire the league's best prospect pool. Appreciate that.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Again, why is it concerning? What is the point of trading them? To get more young players? I don't get it. Why is that beneficial? We already have elite prospects at every single position.

This wasn't a half rebuild. It was a full rebuild that incredibly didn't need to trade its best players to acquire the league's best prospect pool. Appreciate that.

what is so bad about aquiring more young talented players? by drafting young talent we have gotten ourselves into the position we are in now.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016

Their play & health along with the Flyers' play will determine what happens to them. Simmonds is like a closer in baseball. If the Flyers are bottom 3 bad; than he gets moved. if the Flyers are competitive than he doesn't. But if Simmonds indicates that he wants to test free agency; then he is gone. Its a fluid situation with him. Giroux and Voracek's contracts make them almost impossible to move.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
what is so bad about aquiring more young talented players? by drafting young talent we have gotten ourselves into the position we are in now.

Because we already have the #1 prospect pool in the league and now it's time to shift our primary focus to winning?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Because we already have the #1 prospect pool in the league and now it's time to shift our primary focus to winning?

Do young talented players not help you win? is it possible to win a cup with young talented players?

if you believe this team is a cup contender then i understand not parting ways with our vets, but we aren't and we have done nothing on the ice to show that we are cup contenders. we are not in position to win.

We will know when we are done with the rebuild when the young talented players on the ice take over and win.

What we want to happen is what happened in 1995 with the quebec nordiques. number 1 seed, lose in the first round. That young talent took them to new levels and the players on the ice decided their rebuild was over, and they realized they were a goalie away and used their young assets to aquire the missing piece.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Their play & health along with the Flyers' play will determine what happens to them. Simmonds is like a closer in baseball. If the Flyers are bottom 3 bad; than he gets moved. if the Flyers are competitive than he doesn't. But if Simmonds indicates that he wants to test free agency; then he is gone. Its a fluid situation with him. Giroux and Voracek's contracts make them almost impossible to move.

i agree with your views on voracek and giroux's contracts. That is why imo that is hextalls biggest decision up ahead.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Keeping Giroux and Voracek makes sense for now because they are the vets to the kids and their contracts are 5 years or more. We all know the Simmonds situation.

Have Giroux, Patrick and Couts really helps Patrick. Giroux takes the top defenses. Couts takes on the top lines. Patrick gets easier matchups that hopefully he exploits. And if Patrick develops more, and teams start putting top pairings against him, Giroux starts getting easier matchups.

The idea of trading Giroux now just throws Patrick to the wolves. That is what happened to RNH. No one is trading the Flyers a young, top 6 C for Giroux, so let's keep him and see if we can create matchup problems for other teams. And if the day comes when Rubstov or another C is ready and to push Giroux out, address it then.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Keeping Giroux and Voracek makes sense for now because they are the vets to the kids and their contracts are 5 years or more. We all know the Simmonds situation.

Have Giroux, Patrick and Couts really helps Patrick. Giroux takes the top defenses. Couts takes on the top lines. Patrick gets easier matchups that hopefully he exploits. And if Patrick develops more, and teams start putting top pairings against him, Giroux starts getting easier matchups.

The idea of trading Giroux now just throws Patrick to the wolves. That is what happened to RNH. No one is trading the Flyers a young, top 6 C for Giroux, so let's keep him and see if we can create matchup problems for other teams. And if the day comes when Rubstov or another C is ready and to push Giroux out, address it then.

I like it as well because I see it as kind of like what the Bruins did with Seguin. There was so much talent his rookie year, he wasn't near the top line. Played with a guy like Recchi.

SuchySays

Jun 25, 2012
Poconos

Giroux, Voracek and Simmonds are not a problem.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Do young talented players not help you win? is it possible to win a cup with young talented players?

if you believe this team is a cup contender then i understand not parting ways with our vets, but we aren't and we have done nothing on the ice to show that we are cup contenders. we are not in position to win.

We will know when we are done with the rebuild when the young talented players on the ice take over and win.

What we want to happen is what happened in 1995 with the quebec nordiques. number 1 seed, lose in the first round. That young talent took them to new levels and the players on the ice decided their rebuild was over, and they realized they were a goalie away and used their young assets to aquire the missing piece.

False dichotomy.

You realize we can (and will!) have vets AND young players on the roster, right?

Do you know how many players dress per game? Why must we trade Giroux, Voracek, and Simmonds in order to add young players to the lineup?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
False dichotomy.

You realize we can (and will!) have vets AND young players on the roster, right?

Do you know how many players dress per game? Why must we trade Giroux, Voracek, and Simmonds in order to add young players to the lineup?

there is no dichotomy there. i did not say those things are mutually exclusive. Your belief is that vets are needed to win, my belief is that having young players that are cheap and all within the same range gives you a larger window to win

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
there is no dichotomy there. i did not say those things are mutually exclusive. Your belief is that vets are needed to win, my belief is that having young players that are cheap and all within the same range gives you a larger window to win

8938506.jpg

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016

I've never seen an NHL win it all without veteran players on the roster, ever. Having a team comprised of only young talent means you end up like Edmonton. There have been countless examples of teams getting to young to quickly.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I've never seen an NHL win it all without veteran players on the roster, ever. Having a team comprised of only young talent means you end up like Edmonton. There have been countless examples of teams getting to young to quickly.

edmonton in 1984?

colorado in 96?

islanders in 80?

guess what all those teams started long periods of time of being highly competitive. b

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The problem is voracek, giroux and simmer.

They aren't problems, they are the team's top scorers.

The Avs team you want to emulate so badly had a 29 year old Valeri Kamensky and a 30 year old Claude Lemeiux as their 3rd and 4th highest scorers. Roy was also 30.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
They aren't problems, they are the team's top scorers.

The Avs team you want to emulate so badly had a 29 year old Valeri Kamensky and a 30 year old Claude Lemeiux as their 3rd and 4th highest scorers. Roy was also 30.

yes. and how did they acquire roy? young assets.

the previous year they were the number 1 seed in the east and lost in the first round. They did not win because of lemieux and roy. the won because of their crazy amount of young superior talent, that just needed a few missing pieces to take them to that next level.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
yes. and how did they acquire roy? young assets.

the previous year they were the number 1 seed in the east and lost in the first round. They did not win because of lemieux and roy. the won because of their crazy amount of young superior talent, that just needed a few missing pieces to take them to that next level.
Lol. So we need to trade our vets for young players so we can then... trade our young players for vets to put us over the top? Brilliant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad