Proposal: Should Rangers trade one of Laf/Kakko for a cup run ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I would easily trade Kakko for Chychrun. He’s a top 2 LHD on a great contract that Rangers desperately need
Why do they desperately need another top 4 d-man? You can’t allocate that much cap to the D especially when you’re trading away a cheap forward

Reactions: bernmeister

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
In my opinion, the Rangers shouldn't trade Laf only because he was 1st overall. But to me you can very easily trade the younger players like Chytil or Kakko, or young d-men like Miller or Lundkvist for a guy like Chychrun, who's on a very friendly $4.6 mil/per for 3 more seasons. o_O

Reactions: KotkaZuki

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Toronto? The team the rangers smashed last night when they increased the intensity?

All of those teams and Rangers are competitive.
I prefer NY roster to those rosters.

Off top of my head, only 2 teams NY has not yet demonstrated to be on par with -- and this is a short sample from earlier in the season -- is Calgary and Colorado. Both are WC and no guarantee as yet either is automatic to be in Cup finals.

Translation: listen to bern
no vet adds
deal Strome + Geo
rely on adequately sufficient/improved production from first Chytil + Barron, then adding Kravtsov, with those mins.
use picks/futures acquired in those deals to say ahead of the curve

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I would easily trade Kakko for Chychrun. He’s a top 2 LHD on a great contract that Rangers desperately need

So he takes Schneider's spot cause you know Nemeth ain't getting out of the lineup. I rather let Schneider play more minutes at the NHL level. I do like Chychrun as a player

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

Off top of my head, only 2 teams NY has not yet demonstrated to be on par with -- and this is a short sample from earlier in the season -- is Calgary and Colorado. Both are WC and no guarantee as yet either is automatic to be in Cup finals.

no vet adds
deal Strome + Geo
rely on adequately sufficient/improved production from first Chytil + Barron, then adding Kravtsov, with those mins.
gotta disagree, no guarantees in life, can Foxy stay at this level for years, can Zibby do much better, can Igor play on this level considering his injury issues, can kreider keep up this pace, can breadman keep going in his 30's? Strike while the league has their pants down underestimating the rangers.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
In my opinion, the Rangers shouldn't trade Laf only because he was 1st overall. But to me you can very easily trade the younger players like Chytil or Kakko, or young d-men like Miller or Lundkvist for a guy like Chychrun, who's on a very friendly $4.6 mil/per for 3 more seasons. o_O
This makes sense to me

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017

no vet adds
deal Strome + Geo

Wait a minute what teams are you referring to when saying:

"I prefer NY roster to those rosters."

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The sooner they realize it, the better, but they have two upcoming busts on their hands.

Both Kakko and Lafreniere are not living up to their potential and on many nights look so bad that one would think the only reason they’re playing is their draft status.

However, besides them, New York Rangers are composed extremely well and it shows with standings.

The Rangers are one - two key pieces away from a cup run. I believe they need one top 4 defender and a top 6 RW to go all the way.

Is it time to ship Laf or Kakko to Arizona to get Chuchryn ? Or are there other good deals ?

Short answer. No

Long answer. Noo

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
The sooner they realize it, the better, but they have two upcoming busts on their hands.
Both Kakko and Lafreniere are not living up to their potential and on many nights look so bad that one would think the only reason they’re playing is their draft status. However, besides them, New York Rangers are composed extremely well and it shows with standings.
The Rangers are one - two key pieces away from a cup run. I believe they need one top 4 defender and a top 6 RW to go all the way. Is it time to ship Laf or Kakko to Arizona to get Chuchryn ? Or are there other good deals ?

Not sure what OP's #1 sport, is but it may not be hockey.
Judging NHL players' career arc, by their age 19 or 20 seasons, is indisputably unreliable

and Rangers don't need to look far to be confident it may be worth the wait, see these 6 examples among their top players:

Panarin - undrafted in'10,'11; in KHL thru '14-15, joins NHL as he is turning 24
Fox - drafted in '16, joins NHL after D+3
Shestyerkin - drafted in '14, stayed 5 seasons in Russia, came to NA as he was turning 24
Zibenajad - drafted in '11, had 1st 20 G season at D+4, first 50 point season D+5
Strome - drafted '11, despite being 5thOA, spent next 2 seasons back in O, had breakout season D+4
Kreider drafted '09, D+1 thru D+3 at BC, first really productive season D+5

Kakko and Laf are doing their development in the NHL,
but their value remains in what they will become, not their counting stats before turning 21

out-of-town fans want to compare them to other recent top pick Fs,
but most of those guys didn't join teams with 5 star F's ahead of them on roster, and hardly any PP time
NYR are confident in their potential and have no urgency to make foolish too-soon moves

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Both Kakko and Lafreniere are not living up to their potential and on many nights look so bad that one would think the only reason they’re playing is their draft status.

However, besides them, New York Rangers are composed extremely well and it shows with standings.

The Rangers are one - two key pieces away from a cup run. I believe they need one top 4 defender and a top 6 RW to go all the way.

Is it time to ship Laf or Kakko to Arizona to get Chuchryn ? Or are there other good deals ?

Yes

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Not sure what OP's #1 sport, is but it may not be hockey.
Judging NHL players' career arc, by their age 19 or 20 seasons, is indisputably unreliable

and Rangers don't need to look far to be confident it may be worth the wait, see these 6 examples among their top players:

Panarin - undrafted in'10,'11; in KHL thru '14-15, joins NHL as he is turning 24
Fox - drafted in '16, joins NHL after D+3
Shestyerkin - drafted in '14, stayed 5 seasons in Russia, came to NA as he was turning 24
Zibenajad - drafted in '11, had 1st 20 G season at D+4, first 50 point season D+5
Strome - drafted '11, despite being 5thOA, spent next 2 seasons back in O, had breakout season D+4
Kreider drafted '09, D+1 thru D+3 at BC, first really productive season D+5

Kakko and Laf are doing their development in the NHL,
but their value remains in what they will become, not their counting stats before turning 21

out-of-town fans want to compare them to other recent top pick Fs,
but most of those guys didn't join teams with 5 star F's ahead of them on roster, and hardly any PP time
NYR are confident in their potential and have no urgency to make foolish too-soon moves

Lafreniere is averaging 1.30 of PP time a game. He's actually getting EASIER time than guys thrust on top lines elsewhere. The kid is spoon-fed offensive zone starts right now. His possession stats are horrendous. He's young and will get better. But other guys have been way further ahead in their career than him at this point.

Kakko, in this third year, is pretty similar. Getting second line PP time. Doing very little with it. Averaging 16 minutes a game and doing not much with it. His possession stats are a little better. Getting juiced with more offensive zone starts.

Neither guy is a bust. That's ridiculous. But they are not on pace to be top 25 players in the league and for their relative positions in draft, they are disappointments. And yes that COULD change.

In a redraft, both guys would slip.

Rangers have a great team, they can afford to gamble a bit and see if there is major uptick post 21 for both guys. But their value is high now and if you can win a cup grabbing a JT Miller, you might.

Reactions: guitarhunterdude

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Why do you think it's ok to absolutely dismiss this dudes post? I see alot of this on here. Like this dude took the time to write his question. It may not be a good one to you but this is a message board and people like him keep them relevant. Your quite rude.
"We do not share the same opinion! I have no desire to discuss this with you any further. Especially on a forums platform!"

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Not saying either one will be a bust, but if the Rangers management feels they will be then now is the time to dump them. The longer they hold on to them (if neither player improves), the more their value goes down. At the moment, they have less value than when they were drafted but higher value than other young players not producing because of where they were taken. Flip side is, if management feels the two players will develop into elite players, they absolutely should not deal them because they will not get anywhere near elite talent for them now. Rangers can also wait, since the team is doing well and lower production means a smaller next contract and Rangers can hope they break out right after signing a low bridge deal.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Lafreniere is averaging 1.30 of PP time a game. He's actually getting EASIER time than guys thrust on top lines elsewhere. The kid is spoon-fed offensive zone starts right now. His possession stats are horrendous. He's young and will get better. But other guys have been way further ahead in their career than him at this point. Kakko, in this third year, is pretty similar. Getting second line PP time. Doing very little with it. Averaging 16 minutes a game and doing not much with it. His possession stats are a little better. Getting juiced with more offensive zone starts.
Neither guy is a bust. That's ridiculous. But they are not on pace to be top 25 players in the league and for their relative positions in draft, they are disappointments. And yes that COULD change. In a redraft, both guys would slip.
Rangers have a great team, they can afford to gamble a bit and see if there is major uptick post 21 for both guys. But their value is high now and if you can win a cup grabbing a JT Miller, you might.

agree to disagree, glad to give them each ~D+5 years time at least,
AND NYR cant really add the Cap Hit, after this season, for the impact in-his-prime player they might return*

90 seconds/game of PP time is really not much, it is spread over back-end of multiple PPs/game,
and is even less than it looks, given how often line changes on PP often happen w puck in D zone

re-draft is not a real thing, just a fan daydream/drinking game

as mentioned often, they were drafted for what they will become, not what they do now.
"other guys have been way further ahead in their career than him at this point" is not as relevant as fans who hope to steal away future impact players want it to seem

And the Flat Cap - *the guys who would meet OP's premise would just make NYR's future Cap situation worse, given Bread, Fox, Zib, Trouba, Kreider on big deals, Goodrow and Lindgren >$3M, and whatever next season hit is for Strome extension/replacement

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad