Proposal: Should Rangers trade one of Laf/Kakko for a cup run ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

UED

May 2, 2021
If they can get someone really interesting and not dime a dozen for one of their busts they should go for it, but they're better off keeping them around and hoping they unbust than trading them for another reclamation project. Especially Lafreniere who isn't nearly as incredibly soft as Kakko so can probably be a useful middle 6 winger in the future if he doesn't unbust.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Even if they don't become superstars, they are young players on ELCs while your team is competitive. That alone is valuable when extensions start kicking in and youre in a cap crunch. Even though they'll need extensions themselves, they shouldn't cost too much in the short term, and given their age and skill sets can easily outperform their next contracts.

Reactions: Anthony5967

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It depends on value I guess.

If they can get super high value - sure, maybe. But if they're going to sell for lower value, then no.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
The sooner they realize it, the better, but they have two upcoming busts on their hands.

Both Kakko and Lafreniere are not living up to their potential and on many nights look so bad that one would think the only reason they’re playing is their draft status.

However, besides them, New York Rangers are composed extremely well and it shows with standings.

The Rangers are one - two key pieces away from a cup run. I believe they need one top 4 defender and a top 6 RW to go all the way.

Is it time to ship Laf or Kakko to Arizona to get Chuchryn ? Or are there other good deals ?

So 20 year olds are busts now?

Listen up everyone if your prospects don't pan out by 20 you need to just cut them. They are useless.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
Why ? Read Rangers GDTs, it’s full of people criticizing him and Laf every game.

Well the Rangers thread also wanted Kreider gone for nothing prior to this year. Shoot there are still some fans that want him on the 3rd line. Guy is 4th I think in goals but for whatever reason gets shit on by his own fans. Don't even get me started on Trouba and Strome.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
The sooner they realize it, the better, but they have two upcoming busts on their hands.

Both Kakko and Lafreniere are not living up to their potential and on many nights look so bad that one would think the only reason they’re playing is their draft status.

However, besides them, New York Rangers are composed extremely well and it shows with standings.

The Rangers are one - two key pieces away from a cup run. I believe they need one top 4 defender and a top 6 RW to go all the way.

Is it time to ship Laf or Kakko to Arizona to get Chuchryn ? Or are there other good deals ?
I would spend my time focusing on why some of the better Blue Jackets can’t wait to leave town (without being overpaid) and fix that. Say hi to JD for me.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
I would give Kakko another 2/3 years and Lafreniere another 4/5 years.

Kakko is playing well and improved his overall game massively. His points will come.

Lafreniere is in a very tough spot with Kreider and Panarin in front of him for the next 4 years at least so he may be shifted to RW to break into that top 6. Assuming Kravtsov is traded.

These kids need time and no one is giving them that.
If these two were in Arizona, it would be less pressure. You have fans after a 6-3 comeback win focusing on how they lacked significant involvement last night at 20 years old in NYC. Like enough already. All keyboard coaches.

Reactions: Flan the incredible

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Well the Rangers thread also wanted Kreider gone for nothing prior to this year. Shoot there are still some fans that want him on the 3rd line. Guy is 4th I think in goals but for whatever reason gets shit on by his own fans. Don't even get me started on Trouba and Strome.
It’s true we are hard on our own players. And it’s true that there were some, myself included, who wanted him on the 3rd line not because he’s bad but because he’s good and would bring some balance and leadership to what was a kid line. He’d still be PP1. Doesn’t matter now because his year and chemistry with Mika speaks volumes. We recognize that we’ll have to move from him sooner rather than later because of upcoming cap issues. But for now, any Krieder hater is eating crow as there will be plenty to go around for Laf and KK

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
No, definitely not. I can't see much value coming back for them.

Ride it out and hope for the best

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Rags are not a cup contender. At least 4 eastern teams are better than them. 3 of them by a lot.

Rags are def a contender. I mean, they have a Norris trophy dman, Vezina caliber goalie, top 5 winger, 40 goal scoring power forward and a 40 goal scoring center. plus a coach that knows what he is doing. Push some chips in and make a run. Kakko,, looks like a fine checking winger that teams may covet, so if the blue shirts can steal a legit top 4 dman for a magic bean like Kakko then a prudent GM should strike . Just my 2 cents from a fan that is hooked on hockey since 1978. cheers

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Rags are def a contender. I mean, they have a Norris trophy dman, Vezina caliber goalie, top 5 winger, 40 goal scoring power forward and a 40 goal scoring center. plus a coach that knows what he is doing. Push some chips in and make a run. Kakko,, looks like a fine checking winger that teams may covet, so if the blue shirts can steal a legit top 4 dman for a magic bean like Kakko then a prudent GM should strike . Just my 2 cents from a fan that is hooked on hockey since 1978. cheers
I can respect this. I think the PP1 spot is his IF the team moves on from Strome. Playing PP with those other four guys will do wonders for his confidence. Needs to improve his first step quickness. If he can do that and create more space for himself to make plays and get his shots off, the potential is there for him to be really good. Good insight, though.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The Rangers are not ready to go all in - Shesterkin is covering up a lot of their blemishes. They need more scoring depth and time for their defensive prospects to mature.

What they need is cheap scoring depth, which is exactly what Laf and Kakko are supposed to be. Trading them is counterintuitive.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
You’re right in principle except that we’re still figuring things out and lack deep playoff run experience largely. There are 3 East teams that look better on paper. We could go big without involving KK or Laf, we have the assets. My guess is that we will seek moderate reinforcements on expiring contracts and look for an upset in the 2nd round.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Absolutely. It's rather odd that NYR are doing as well as they are with both these players being very underwhelming. Also strange that NYR got two of the most poorly performing top 2 picks in a long time - neither of these players are busts but they also won't become anything special imo. Sell high while their potential is still seen as decent around the league.

Last edited:
Reactions: mm11
Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Short answer: No.

Long answer: No.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

The premise of this needs to be called out as inaccurate bs, and hence roundly rejected. OP you are unreserved refuted by bernmeister.

Rangers ARE ALREADY not merely competitive, but solid competitors. Yes in a very small sample size we got owned early by both Calgary [1 game] and Colorado [2 games, 1 vs Huska in his first game]. But there is no need to panic there for reasons brevity does not permit now. We have more than held our own vs the entire rest of the league.

Translation: we do NOT need to add ANYBODY.
ESPECIALLY if it is at cost of youth for vets
ESPECIALLY since next season cap crunch has zero room to add anybody. No one who is added can be re-signed if an expiring, and no one with multiple years can remain unless someone with salary is moved, and there is no one with salary who can be moved since nearly everybody has trade protection clause.
THAT would be HUMONGOUS LEVEL of stupid, since it is wasting assets for a temporary sugar high.
AND this is not like we are adding a guy like Draisatil, who is still not a guarantee, but while it can not be assumed all things will remain equal, IF they do, he ups signif the chances of the acquiring club IF that club is not gutted to do so.

OP, bend, buckle and break in capitulation to the fact that we do not want to trade either LaF or Kakko. In fact, after jettisoning Strome, Geo, Nemeth, Hajek + recovering 1.5 Hank buyout $, which covers the 11+ we need just to cover Fox + Zib increases, we may consider moving Lindgren's 3 x 3 to get min bridge scratch to pay for LaF + KK, etc. until Trouba's 8m can be moved 2 seasons hence, if not prior.
This will not change anytime soon.
Yes, in 3-4 years, the dynamics of cap, other roster issues, etc, may THEN prompt ? of who should be moved and that MAY include KK/LaF, maybe, but until then the idiocy of this idea, whoever brings it up should be dead on arrival.

Strome is productive and offensively gifted but not worth self rental. We should add picks from selling him, and if those picks are not selections, trade into better picks or future upgrades. This is esp so since his mins would be absorbed by Chytil and Barron [who I understand is crushing it on faceoffs, btw], and then in a month or so Kravtsov.

If there is an exception to the rule, it would be youth for youth, if profitable to NYR.
We should UNCONDITIONALLY not be adding vets for youth [or vets for vets, since the current group is good enough +].
We need to get down to a true and real core, and let them have max mins to further develop chemistry.

And as was covered in another thread, Chyc to NYR is uber ridiculous.
He is an LD and we have depth there. We do not need to [and nor can we] add a big salary.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
The Rangers are not ready to go all in - Shesterkin is covering up a lot of their blemishes. They need more scoring depth and time for their defensive prospects to mature.

What they need is cheap scoring depth, which is exactly what Laf and Kakko are supposed to be. Trading them is counterintuitive.
Alot of goalies have done this, making looong cup runs. Can't be afraid to win brother.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Since kakko plays in the top 6, he’s a pretty integral part of the team.
I’m really not worried about either guy tbh.
They’ve both improved, but they’re numbers will suffer as long as neither gets any substantial PP time.
This has all been covered to the 10th degree so there’s no point in even addressing this ridiculous post any further.
If the rangers want to add at the TDL, they have plenty of assets to do so without including LaF/kakko which would be dumb...... the end.

this ^ except to add this above poster smartly identified how weakness in LaF current game is his skating, which has slowly improved. Reasonable to construe he will get it to where his NHL level needs to be, correctly moving his legs, which he is still mastering. When that happens, whatev line he plays on will benefit, and with him as a finisher since he clearly has shot down, a line of LaF-Chytil-Gauthier would be killer.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Who might these 4 teams be?
I'm assuming the poster means Florida, Tampa, Carolina as the 3rd, with take your pick on the 4th between Washington, Toronto, Pittsburg (not counting standings)

Ignore - poster already answered. Should have kept scrolling.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad