Should Doug Armstrong get fired?

• Yes

Votes: 26 37.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 62.3%

• Total voters

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
It's certainly possible, but my guess would be that Armstrong made a "lowball" offer and hoped for the best. I don't mean that in a bad way per se, as he has been able to acquire guys like Bouwmeester and O'Reilly for less than many people would have expected. But Army seems like the kind of guy who draws a line in terms of what he's willing to offer, and won't go beyond that line no matter what. And who knows, if Florida hadn't swooped in with their big-time offer maybe our offer would have been good enough.
Could also have potentially only been first offers made by teams, and Florida just threw everything out there right away. We’ll probably never know.

• Love
Reactions: BlueSeal

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Army has handled the cap expertly. This is impossible to deny.
This point isn't made enough imo. It's unreal when you look on Capfriendly and see how many teams are carrying 3-5M in dead money thanks to buyouts, retained salary, etc. We have ZERO dead money, and we never have. It's kinda unbelievable really.

I think Tarasenko, Scandella, and a 1st is a pretty reasonable trade offer for MT. They could either resign or flip Tarasenko at the deadline and Scandella is a solid bottom-pair/PKer (Just not for his salary) - but the Flames have plenty of cap space with both MT and Gadreau gone. Florida clearly overpaid if we were the second best offer on the table.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Our offer was reasonable and solid. Anything else is an overpay and the assets and contract Florida gave is batshit. I’m with Army.

Plus we need an LHD more than anything else. We should be offering Vladi+Scandella+1st for that.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Our offer was reasonable and solid. Anything else is an overpay and the assets and contract Florida gave is batshit. I’m with Army.

Plus we need an LHD more than anything else. We should be offering Vladi+Scandella+1st for that.
Vlad+Scandella for Sanheim+Konecny upgrade to a better LHD and Downgrade to a lesser top 6 forward. But we get another RHF after Perron left in FA. Then try to get Mayfield from NYI. And run 3 balanced defensive pairs.

Yes I know this isn't going to happen. Lol

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Vlad+Scandella for Sanheim+Konecny upgrade to a better LHD and Downgrade to a lesser top 6 forward. But we get another RHF after Perron left in FA. Then try to get Mayfield from NYI. And run 3 balanced defensive pairs.

Oh I know but you see where I’m going with that

Drubilly

Sep 23, 2018
Collinsville

Yes!!!! I’d be happy with Provorov as well but I’d love Konecny. Annndddd Bo Horvat is his cousin just in case an extension doesn’t work out with ROR.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.

I’d do Vlad+Scandella+Kostin for one of Provorov/Sanheim+Konecny. Would follow that up with a Krug deal for another forward in the $4-6 mil range depending on which defenseman we get from Philly.

xxx-Thomas-Kyrou
Saad-O’Reilly-xxx
Barbashev-Schenn-xxx
Neighbours-Acciari-Toropchenko

xxx = Buchnevich, Konecny, TBA from Krug deal

Provorov/Sanheim-Faulk
Leddy-Parayko
2 of Perunovich/Mikkola/Bortuzzo

Last edited:

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Value is fine but would create massive cap problem going forward. Like we can’t resign ROR kinda problem.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Krug would be moved out before next off season in my head.
To further this. In my head this would be a way to get Perunovich one more year of seasoning in the AHL/NHL before he was called up for a full time order next season

Next season

Buchnevich-Thomas-Kyrou
Saad-RoR-Konecny
Neighbors-Schenn-Bolduc
4th line

Sanheim-Parayko
Leddy-Faulk
Perunovich-Mayfield

Binnington
Hofer

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I was thinking, and Hoping around his current caphit.
Right. If he sticks at current cap hit and we dump Scandella and let Barbie and tank walk we maybe have basically enough to sign Kyrou and noting else. You move Krug for Provo, that is pretty equal $. But you don’t have anywhere to fit in konecny in that scenario unless you let ROR walk. So unless you are adding someone like MT, makes no sense to add winger with term unless they are super cheap ($2mm basically).

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Right. If he sticks at current cap hit and we dump Scandella and let Barbie and tank walk we maybe have basically enough to sign Kyrou and noting else. You move Krug for Provo, that is pretty equal $. But you don’t have anywhere to fit in konecny in that scenario unless you let ROR walk. So unless you are adding someone like MT, makes no sense to add winger with term unless they are super cheap ($2mm basically).
That's why I wasn't trading Krug for Provo. I never even brought him up

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
Reportedly Blues only offered Tarasenko, Scandella, and a 1st for Tkachuk. And even tho we wouldn't be able to match or beat Florida's offer unless we severely gutted the Blues core and farm. Let's get ready for the "Fire Army" crew to come full force.
Also reportedly, the Blues never asked Tarasenko to waive his NTC. Make of the reports what you will.

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
A top GM in the league. With the exception of Lehtera and Binny he's pretty much been on point with every contract he's ever signed (or refused to). I can see him making a push to keep O'Reilly on. If O'Reilly is looking for money he's gone. Tarasenko will, in my opinion, probably be gone by the TDL. I can see there being room to bring in a guy like...ummm...Matt Tkachuk should he become available.
Obviously the Tkachuck ship has sailed, and you mentioned some of the bad contracts that he managed to offload at a cost. The Ryan Miller trade was also one that looked good at the moment but just didn't work out.

I think he's learned not to mortgage the farm for the big splash, and works more to find pieces that help our current core in an effort to maintain the team's culture. For better (Buch) or worse (Scandella).

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
A top GM in the league. With the exception of Lehtera and Binny he's pretty much been on point with every contract he's ever signed (or refused to). I can see him making a push to keep O'Reilly on. If O'Reilly is looking for money he's gone. Tarasenko will, in my opinion, probably be gone by the TDL. I can see there being room to bring in a guy like...ummm...Matt Tkachuk should he become available.

TBD on the Binnington contract. Extending Binnington was the right move and his cap hit is the going rate for average starters (which I think Binnington is or will be for the majority of his contract).

Obviously the Tkachuck ship has sailed, and you mentioned some of the bad contracts that he managed to offload at a cost. The Ryan Miller trade was also one that looked good at the moment but just didn't work out.

I think he's learned not to mortgage the farm for the big splash, and works more to find pieces that help our current core in an effort to maintain the team's culture. For better (Buch) or worse (Scandella).

Scandella wasn't even a bad trade. The issue is he's paid like a top 4 pairing D, which he isn't, and I think Armstrong overreacted to sign him, partially as a result of JBo being forced to retire.

Reactions: parliamentlite

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
Scandella wasn't even a bad trade. The issue is he's paid like a top 4 pairing D, which he isn't, and I think Armstrong overreacted to sign him, partially as a result of JBo being forced to retire.
Scandella was legitimately good as a Paryako copilot at first. Then covid struck and he's been worse ever since.

I'll agree that he's overpaid, but I'll disagree that he's paid like a top 4 D man.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Scandella was legitimately good as a Paryako copilot at first. Then covid struck and he's been worse ever since.

I'll agree that he's overpaid, but I'll disagree that he's paid like a top 4 D man.
He is, though. He would be among the top 4 highest paid d-men on most teams in the league.

Reactions: Louie the Blue

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010

There are 32 teams. Multiply that by 4 and we get 128.

Scandella is currently the 95th highest paid defenseman in the NHL, which would by definition be a top 4 defenseman's salary.

I don't dislike Scandella. He's perfectly fine for what he is. The issues are how much he's paid is preventing the Blues from making better improvements to the defense and the role that he's best suited for ends up being a problem given how the top 4 collectively is constructed with Leddy and Krug.

Reactions: parliamentlite

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad