Should Doug Armstrong get fired?

• Yes

Votes: 26 37.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 62.3%

• Total voters

Prosaic

Sep 11, 2020
This is silly. Last years club was an untimely injury away from likely trip to Finals. We are adding more young talent this year and our only losses are backup goalie who faltered in playoffs and aging winger who was beloved but is replaceable from within.
It’s amazing how 4 games from Binnington just seems to erase how abhorrent he was in the regular season, where without Husso the Blues probably don’t even make the playoffs to begin with.

Reactions: TruBlu

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
I’m not saying he deserves to be fired but it’s completely fair to be highly critical of most the decisions he’s made post June 12 2019.

The cold hard reality is that if they weren’t going to bring back Pietrangelo (which I don’t necessarily think was a bad decision) then they should’ve committed to a retool around Kyrou and Thomas.

Locking in a bunch of middle tier players that aren’t going to move the needle such as Schenn, Binnington, Parayko, Faulk, Krug, etc. into their mid to late 30’s was definitely not the most ideal plan in my opinion.

This off-season in particular has been rather disappointing. I’m not a fan of the Leddy contract, and the team has objectively gotten worse. I really hope they don’t let ROR or Tarasenko walk for nothing if they aren’t going to extend them. I don’t look at the current roster and see how it’s better than last years team, and considering last years team wasn’t that spectacular either, I can’t foresee this team being a real contender for a championship.
The team still can compete for a SC. The issue isn’t Pietrangelo leaving, it’s that the Blues don’t have any internal pieces to replace him 100% and there weren’t external options either.

I don’t think the roster can win a title as is, but it can contend to get there and with the right luck win one. Similar to 2019.

This is silly. Last years club was an untimely injury away from likely trip to Finals. We are adding more young talent this year and our only losses are backup goalie who faltered in playoffs and aging winger who was beloved but is replaceable from within.
There is no guarantee the Blues beat the Avs in a 7 game series if Binnington doesn’t get hurt. The Avs severely dominated possession and underlying metrics and the Blues entire strategy for winning would involve Binnington putting up a .940 save % + for the entire series.

Fez Whatley

Jun 7, 2015
Eh after a short hiatus this place doesn't disappoint. The way I see it is that barring a trade that no one would have been able to forsee (and theyve probably been explored), Army shored up the LD at the expense of perron. One had to go. I love Perron and am still amazed that he out of the Perron - Backes - Oshie line ended up being the guy to bring home a cup for the Blooze. Especially after considering how his 1st and 2nd sints here went (remember the scapegoating after the loss to Nashville).

Tbh tho I'm not really that upset with how this offseason has gone. Army has made some likeable depth signings which will hopefully compete with the prospects and the best will get opportunities to impress.

We can all worry about the future and how it will be if the worst comes to fruition. Losing Ror and Tank for nothing save for another cup will be somewhat unpleasant. Same can be said if he resigns them to albatross contracts. But it can't be understated that this team was pretty much a cheap shot away from beating the avs. If they get WINNINGTON back this team is absurd. He is such a wildcard and probably my favorite blue ever. If he doesn't shit the bed and keep them out of the playoffs this year, you can't count the blues out. Kadri running him over sealed the series. If he's the same guy as last year and 2019, you can never count the blues out.
LGB

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
Army has handled the cap expertly. This is impossible to deny.

Would you rather be LA, where they are $10-15 million over the cap when Doughty and Walker come off LTIR?

How about Montreal, Tampa, Columbus, Washington, Vancouver, Vegas, Philly, et al who are begging for cap space and need to shed players and futures just to stay under it, while the Blues remain competitive and hold steady.

Would you rather be Minnesota, with $14 million in dead cap over the next three years and a few million per year beyond that?

DA has made some mistakes but he's learned from them and when it comes to managing the cap he's been in the top 3 GMs year after year.

We've had the 5th best winning percentage and finally won a cup during his tenure. All without a first or second overall pick.

He's a fantastic GM. Full stop.

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
The team still can compete for a SC. The issue isn’t Pietrangelo leaving, it’s that the Blues don’t have any internal pieces to replace him 100% and there weren’t external options either.

I don’t think the roster can win a title as is, but it can contend to get there and with the right luck win one. Similar to 2019.

There is no guarantee the Blues beat the Avs in a 7 game series if Binnington doesn’t get hurt. The Avs severely dominated possession and underlying metrics and the Blues entire strategy for winning would involve Binnington putting up a .940 save % + for the entire series.
Good thing that the Avs have become a 1 line team this offseason. They lost far more than the Blues did with Perron.

They have to dump Johnson if they want to resign Kadri, but that would cost them an arm and a leg. Especially if they want a MacKinnon extension next year.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Is it Vegas same team as Blues?
Shouldn’t a quality top 4 Dman still be quality wherever he goes? Or does he only “pick up a stick” when he feels like it?

Good thing that the Avs have become a 1 line team this offseason. They lost far more than the Blues did with Perron.

They have to dump Johnson if they want to resign Kadri, but that would cost them an arm and a leg. Especially if they want a MacKinnon extension next year.
We were struggling big time with injuries and had A+ backup with Springfield. Those boys kept us in the fight. Not enough is said about that and they deserve the platitudes.

Reactions: parliamentlite

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
It’s amazing how 4 games from Binnington just seems to erase how abhorrent he was in the regular season, where without Husso the Blues probably don’t even make the playoffs to begin with.

To be fair, he was 9-2 with a 2.18 GAA and .932 SV% in his last 11 games. He was on absolute fire to end the season/playoffs.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
A top GM in the league. With the exception of Lehtera and Binny he's pretty much been on point with every contract he's ever signed (or refused to). I can see him making a push to keep O'Reilly on. If O'Reilly is looking for money he's gone. Tarasenko will, in my opinion, probably be gone by the TDL. I can see there being room to bring in a guy like...ummm...Matt Tkachuk should he become available.

Prosaic

Sep 11, 2020
To be fair, he was 9-2 with a 2.18 GAA and .932 SV% in his last 11 games. He was on absolute fire to end the season/playoffs.
He had bad slump after he got Covid. He was really good to start year too. It’s almost like he’s actually good goalie.
His ranks among goalies to play at least 15 games (900 minutes) over the full season
90.1 save percentage (31st)
GAA 3.13 (48th)
He had a 18-4-4 record.

If you wanna look at more advanced metrics
GSAx -10.01 (41st)
GSAA -7.45 (42nd)

He was placed on covid protocol on December 2nd, at the time he was 8-5-3 with a 91.2 and 2.80, his GSAA was 30th (-2.92) and GSAx 22nd (0.86). He was on par with about the league average goalie.

After December 15, he was activated. His numbers were 89.2, 3.41 good for 10-9-1 with a GSAA of -8.46 (60th in NHL) and GSAx -10.87 (59th). So between December 15th and his last eleven starts must've been unfathomably bad.

I like Binnington, but in 2019-2020 and 2021 he was basically on par with the league average goalie by most advanced models and in 2021-2022 he was one of the worst starting goalies in the league, if you even consider him the Blues #1 goalie last season. If you don't, then he was a pretty mediocre backup goalie.

Compare that to Husso last season:
25-7-6
91.9 (8th)
2.56 (14th)
GSAA 14.11 (10th)
GSAx 14.18 (7th)

Is Husso truly a top ten NHL goalie? Probably not. But, he was critical to the success of the team last year. Without him, it's very easy seeing the Blues potentially miss the playoffs.

I do think Binnington is better this coming season, but his prior two seasons to 2021-2022 suggest that he's basically right on par with a league average goalie. 6M is a lot to pay for a league average goalie.

Reactions: The Note and jura

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Reportedly Blues only offered Tarasenko, Scandella, and a 1st for Tkachuk. And even tho we wouldn't be able to match or beat Florida's offer unless we severely gutted the Blues core and farm. Let's get ready for the "Fire Army" crew to come full force.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Reportedly Blues only offered Tarasenko, Scandella, and a 1st for Tkachuk. And even tho we wouldn't be able to match or beat Florida's offer unless we severely gutted the Blues core and farm. Let's get ready for the "Fire Army" crew to come full force.
Interesting that is all we offered. Sounds like hurricanes and obviously panthers both offered much more.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Only gonna further the tarasenko divide with the team if true.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Wouldn't surprise me if they added a Neighbors/Bolduc into the offer and JR wasn't told or didn't say it.
My gut feeling is that there was some prospect included and either of those reasons seems valid given how JR’s relationship with the Blues franchise has trended the last few years.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
My gut feeling is that there was some prospect included and either of those reasons seems valid given how JR’s relationship with the Blues franchise has trended the last few years.

It's certainly possible, but my guess would be that Armstrong made a "lowball" offer and hoped for the best. I don't mean that in a bad way per se, as he has been able to acquire guys like Bouwmeester and O'Reilly for less than many people would have expected. But Army seems like the kind of guy who draws a line in terms of what he's willing to offer, and won't go beyond that line no matter what. And who knows, if Florida hadn't swooped in with their big-time offer maybe our offer would have been good enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad