Should Doug Armstrong get fired?

• Yes

Votes: 26 37.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 62.3%

• Total voters

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Well, we do have kids ready to come up, so we don’t need DP but keep Scandella. Now watch people come attack me for -this- post.

Hell, I don’t care, we should have signed DP and chucked Scandella. There, I said it.

How much would you be willing to pay to chuck Scandella? How do you know Army didn't try? I would rather have Perron as well, but we don't know what happened behind closed doors.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Frigging Marco Scandella is more important than Perron.

a4ce9cd2-a193-4e1f-b225-17fd47083adb_480x204.gif
100% agree

Lost my enthusiasm for this club by this one act.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
How much would you be willing to pay to chuck Scandella? How do you know Army didn't try? I would rather have Perron as well, but we don't know what happened behind closed doors.
Who is going to take on Scandella? If I were a GM, then I would be sure...I'll take him.... I'll take your second round pick and swap it for my 7th round pick.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Well, we do have kids ready to come up, so we don’t need DP but keep Scandella. Now watch people come attack me for -this- post.

Hell, I don’t care, we should have signed DP and chucked Scandella. There, I said it.
I have the impression they tried to move Scandella. And maybe Krug, too. Seeing Pacioretty get waived shows that the value of cap space is pretty high right now, and it would apparently cost more to move Scandella than Armstrong thought was reasonable. If you add that to Perron's acquisition price, the contract starts to look less and less appealing.

Reactions: Reality Czech

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Unfortunately, talent has to be weighed with cost for the club's future. Next off season is going to be really crucial for our team. Any misstep means inability to extend some crucial pieces. DA is a master at maneuvering the cap. He's shown it time and time again. I'm thankful he doesn't jump at every shiny post season opportunity to add a big name. He's kept us competitive for much longer than most any other team, and he's done it in the midwest...not exactly the place most young players would say is their preferred location. I think we've taken a step back, but not anywhere near as much as 85% of the other teams that made the playoffs this year. I'm excited to see how we look against other teams in the league this coming season.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
This could be season when Army is fired. Team has downgraded every season after Cup win. Maybe the downfall will push Army out.

Who would replace him? Don't know who could do any worse vs what Army has done?

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
This could be season when Army is fired. Team has downgraded every season after Cup win. Maybe the downfall will push Army out.

Who would replace him? Don't know who could do any worse vs what Army has done?
Idk if you've noticed but every team that's won a cap has downgraded since winning the cup, or used since cap gymnastics to play the system, even Colorado has downgraded and they won the cup less than two months ago.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
The amount of doom and gloom here is crazy.

Everyone with a brain understood that the Blues needed to upgrade their LHD. We did that, but it cost us an aging forward. There were no better options out there then Leddy at UFA. And we knew it was going to cost us a forward.

I am not trading a 1st or 2nd to move a decent dman. That is just terrible asset management.

But I guess most feel we are now missing the playoffs…….

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

Idk if you've noticed but every team that's won a cap has downgraded since winning the cup, or used since cap gymnastics to play the system, even Colorado has downgraded and they won the cup less than two months ago.
Army had option to do otherwise. Most the time GM's don't have options.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
How many different ways does Dom need to tell us that his model is skewed and he doesn't understand the Blues?

How is it skewed?

Doesn't understand the Blues? I don't understand Army or some of the decisions half the time and I've been a fan since the 80's. Our window is open now, we should be focused on weaponizing and winning, just not simply competing for another in a long line of playoff appearances. We got more than enough of those.

It's like hearing people say that we should 'give the kids a chance to play' is something a rebuilding team does unless the kids in question are outright amazing.

I'm not going to call out Army like that because he brought home a Cup but I will call him out if he's making excuses, poor decisions or not weaponizing the team for a run. We know what we need, we know where to go and we've been there. What's stopping us from going?

My concern with Army, and I do have one, is the reason for his being fired in Dallas. I feel like I'm watching the start of that now, but it might just be my nerves.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
How is it skewed?

Doesn't understand the Blues? I don't understand Army or some of the decisions half the time and I've been a fan since the 80's. Our window is open now, we should be focused on weaponizing and winning, just not simply competing for another in a long line of playoff appearances. We got more than enough of those.

It's like hearing people say that we should 'give the kids a chance to play' is something a rebuilding team does unless the kids in question are outright amazing.

I'm not going to call out Army like that because he brought home a Cup but I will call him out if he's making excuses, poor decisions or not weaponizing the team for a run. We know what we need, we know where to go and we've been there. What's stopping us from going?

My concern with Army, and I do have one, is the reason for his being fired in Dallas. I feel like I'm watching the start of that now, but it might just be my nerves.

What moves would you have made this summer? It's a damn tough market right now.

Reactions: Fez Whatley

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
How is it skewed?

His model had us as mcrappy team most of last year and we way outperformed. I’m not saying Army is immune to criticism, just that we had darn good team last year and look to again but Dom doesn’t understand why and Dom’s model doesn’t capture what we are doing well so his model thinks we (will) stink.

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
How many different ways does Dom need to tell us that his model is skewed and he doesn't understand the Blues?
Dom's model rated Faulk's contract as one of if not the worst in the league going into last year. This year he's not there anymore after having a great season.

Parayko's contract is the one hurting us in his model this year, if he too has a rebound season then things change.

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
How is it skewed?

The main thing that models got wrong on the Blues last year was their implementation of expected goal models. These tend to overvalue a guy whacking a rebound in the crease into a goalie's pads repeatedly (cough cough Brady Tkachuk) and devalue effective snipers like Perron who routinely score goals from the circles that aren't high probability shots.

The models hurt the Blues last year because our offense was extraordinarily predicated on cross-ice passes. Get the goalie to commit, reverse grain, bang it in the open net. We both attempted the most and scored the most off of them than any other team by a wide margin, and our teamwide shooting percentages were ridiculous last year as a result.

This approach also means lots of intercepted and deflected passes, depressing overall shot totals and subsequently expected goal totals. Last year's Blues traded a lot of .3 to .5 xG shots for sometimes hopeful passes to guys with even better shots.

It was fun to watch and gave us the most effective offense we've had in 30 years. It also didn't model as well as if we'd just taken the first shot.

Edit: Look at Perron's EV offense. It's stupid. EV defense seems off too, but that finishing total is spot on and boosts the overall.
1660013416972.png

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BlueSeal

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
It will be very interesting to see how much Boston incorporates the Blues' successful offensive zone strategy with Jim Montgomery. I also wonder how badly the Blues will miss his input.

Reactions: parliamentlite

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
The main thing that models got wrong on the Blues last year was their implementation of expected goal models. These tend to overvalue a guy whacking a rebound in the crease into a goalie's pads repeatedly (cough cough Brady Tkachuk) and devalue effective snipers like Perron who routinely score goals from the circles that aren't high probability shots.

The models hurt the Blues last year because our offense was extraordinarily predicated on cross-ice passes. Get the goalie to commit, reverse grain, bang it in the open net. We both attempted the most and scored the most off of them than any other team by a wide margin, and our teamwide shooting percentages were ridiculous last year as a result.

This approach also means lots of intercepted and deflected passes, depressing overall shot totals and subsequently expected goal totals. Last year's Blues traded a lot of .3 to .5 xG shots for sometimes hopeful passes to guys with even better shots.

It was fun to watch and gave us the most effective offense we've had in 30 years. It also didn't model as well as if we'd just taken the first shot.

Edit: Look at Perron's EV offense. It's stupid. EV defense seems off too, but that finishing total is spot on and boosts the overall.
View attachment 575714
Agreed! Thank you for the explanation!

For reelz.

Whenever I see “Dom” or “JR” now, I automatically skip that post.
I’m going to start doing the same.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
"Doug Armstrong is a cap master who has proven it time and time again" is the kind of sentiment favored by people inclined to obey authority automatically. It's pure fluffing, and meaningless

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
"Doug Armstrong is a cap master who has proven it time and time again" is the kind of sentiment favored by people inclined to obey authority automatically. It's pure fluffing, and meaningless
Except that we have been competitive year after year and have done it while not winding up in cap hell, and won a cup doing it that way, so he kind of has proven that over the years

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Except that we have been competitive year after year and have done it while not winding up in cap hell, and won a cup doing it that way, so he kind of has proven that over the years
They were competitive when they had a #1 defenseman, and have not been truly competitive without one. Fluffing Armstrong to say he complied with cap rules and the team played its whole schedule does not mean much.

Reactions: BlueKnight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad