• Yes

Votes: 26 37.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 62.3%

• Total voters

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Can we start a vote to change the thread title to, “Hollywood Rankings and The Artistic Impact Cinema Leaves”?

I’m genuinely more interested in this movie talk then whatever reason this thread was started for the first place.
OT thread. Let’s move this conversation there. It’s a good one.

Reactions: BlueSeal

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I've got 80 locks for the top 100 and 43 candidates for the final 20 spots.

As far as absolute masterpieces, in alphabetical (not ranked) order here are 19 films:

Ace in the Hole (1951)
The Asphalt Jungle (1950)
Chinatown (1974)
The Conversation (1974)
Criss Cross (1949)
Cutter's Way (1981)
Days of Heaven (1978)
Detour (1945)
Double Indemnity (1944)
In a Lonely Place (1950)
Kiss Me Deadly (1955)
The Long Goodbye (1973)
The Maltese Falcon (1941)
Memento (2000)
Night and the City (1950)
Out of the Past (1947)
Panique (1946)
Sunset Boulevard (1950)
The Third Man (1949)
Double Indemnity features in one of my favorite films, Manhattan Murder Mystery. It’s one of Woody Allen’s best. (Yes I know some of his movies have been torpedoed by the dispute with his ex-wife and the weirdness in his personal life. But in its own merits, that’s a hell of a movie.)

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Can we start a vote to change the thread title to, “Hollywood Rankings and The Artistic Impact Cinema Leaves”?

I’m genuinely more interested in this movie talk than whatever reason this thread was started for in the first place.
I second this motion.

Ridge1982

Nov 4, 2019
Army is not the GM in this region that needs to get the pink slip. He’s making due with what he has without the unlimited resources, a national brand and fanbase that the aforementioned has.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Armstrong has made some real head scratching moves these past few years, but even as a former member of the "fire Armstrong" crowd (circa 2018) - he is definitely an 'above center mass' GM and you should never fire those unless there's actually a better option available. Currently there is not. They need to keep him until a proven asset becomes available or have him pick/groom a successor now to be ready whenever he decides to retire.

Any move made now or in the foreseeable future would most likely be a downgrade. The 'Good ole Boys' club is basically all senile idiots at this point and the 'wunderkind' new blood GMs that have come up, Dubas & Chyka, were even worse. Stay the course, stay Army Strong.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Armstrong has made some real head scratching moves these past few years, but even as a former member of the "fire Armstrong" crowd (circa 2018) - he is definitely an 'above center mass' GM and you should never fire those unless there's actually a better option available. Currently there is not. They need to keep him until a proven asset becomes available or have him pick/groom a successor now to be ready whenever he decides to retire.

Any move made now or in the foreseeable future would most likely be a downgrade. The 'Good ole Boys' club is basically all senile idiots at this point and the 'wunderkind' new blood GMs that have come up, Dubas & Chyka, were even worse. Stay the course, stay Army Strong.
It’s interesting that you bring up the good ole boys vs the new kids.

Both have there flaws, but like anything in life balance usually is the best course.

While I do think analytics will overtake the dated guy check approach of the older guys, the data and metrics are not quite there yet. But, since the NHL has moved to player/puck sensors and clubs have built analytics departments, it’s only a matter of time.

I still think there will be value in GMs though. You still need a vision from which to deploy analysis, you still need master negotiators and you still need people who can assess a players character and mental makeup.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
It’s interesting that you bring up the good ole boys vs the new kids.

Both have there flaws, but like anything in life balance usually is the best course.

While I do think analytics will overtake the dated guy check approach of the older guys, the data and metrics are not quite there yet. But, since the NHL has moved to player/puck sensors and clubs have built analytics departments, it’s only a matter of time.

I still think there will be value in GMs though. You still need a vision from which to deploy analysis, you still need master negotiators and you still need people who can assess a players character and mental makeup.

While I'm sure analytics will continue to improve, as you said there are some things that can't be quantified like character and hockey sense. I've heard this discussed a lot in interviews with regard to draft choices when GMs and scouts have to figure out which players will mature into good pros.

In terms of NHL teams, chemistry often matters and every successful team has to find the right mix of players to make it all work. Bottom 6 role players may not have great metrics but they could provide something useful to the team, whether it's toughness, forechecking or simply experience and knowledge.

buches gooches

Apr 16, 2022
I think you need to ask yourself how good is good enough. If you've been a fan long enough you can remember how bad it can really be. Since Army has been our GM the team has been a lot of fun to watch.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I think there is valid reason to be apprehensive about the goaltending situation on this team. I don't think a lack of Charlie Lindgren should be a contributing factor to those feelings though.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Goaltending is perfectly fine.
I don't see how you can completely dismiss any and all concerns about the goaltending.

Binner at his best is a top 10 NHL goalie. When he's on, he's as good as anyone at getting square and making the first stop. He's very good against the rush, he's a great puckhandler and he battles well to overcome his below average lateral mobility. But he's struggled to be on his game as much as you need a 55+ start guy to be on his game. We got 'on his game' Binner in the playoffs, but he struggled for long stretches last season.

I'm not too low on Binner and have a decent degree of confidence in him. But he's coming off a season where he put up a .901 SV%, a -6.4 GSAA and only started 37 games because his partner won the net.

The new backup has been a good NHL goalie in the past, but he'll turn 37 mid-season and put up an .891 last season. Maybe you can chalk that up to playing behind a bad Wings team, but his partner was noticeably better (.901) and Greiss had a .912 the previous season behind that same team. He might be washed.

Every other goalie in the organization is 22 or younger. There is upside in that group, but none of them are ready for the NHL barring a massive leap forward this summer.

There are very real reasons for concern. I'm optimistic that it will be perfectly fine, but there are real red flags that shouldn't be ignored.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad