Confirmed with Link: Shea Weber Named to the Hockey Hall of Fame (MOD warning #66)

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Probably not the nicest thing to say in this thread but i'm going to be honest.

Shea Weber for me, has always been one of the most overrated players of his generation.

Overrated doesn't mean he sucked...just means he was rated too highly. I never saw what everyone saw and when he became a Habs, he confirmed everything I ever thought about him.

Granted, he became a Montreal Canadiens player in the latter part of his career.

Again, don't get me wrong...very good player, at his peak, probably one of the best Dmen in the NHL but I don't think that peak was long enough.

But he was big, tough, had a big shot and was Canadian...so rah rah rah.

Congratulations to him though, his peers clearly thought differently than I lol so good for him.
Precisely how I feel as well.

Reactions: 417

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Looking down the list of dmen from British Columbia, I think he's got to be the best one of all time.

It gets cloudier if we include Duncan Keith but he was born in winnipeg.

In his prime, he was a total beast. He lost out on a norris to Lidstrom by the smallest margin of all time.... could have easily had a couple.

The lack of spotlight from Nashville and the fact that they typically had pop gun offense in most of those years didn't help him either from an exposure standpoint. I remember years where their biggest forward threats would be jp dumont, erat, and hornqvist.

But any time team Canada was having a best on best tournament, Weber was always a lock and rightfully so.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
He’s a first ballot hall of famer if Shea Weber is. He was better and more dominant at his position. What’s interesting though, is outside of the one season with all the hardware there isn’t very much for individual awards at the NHL level. It’s a pretty weak resume imo, you have to include Sochi and Junior to validate arguments on his behalf.

I think he was the best in the world for a short time, I think that reputation followed him for much longer than it were true.

There are many weaker players in the hall. Overall, he’s deserving I suppose. However, I believe the bar should be extremely high or there is no point in having one.

Nonsense, ppl aren’t making the HOF because of their junior stats
The bar for Hall Of Fame hardware has been lowered; it's the result of so many more teams. Stanley Cups no longer come in bulk. We may as well get used to seeing more inductees without a single Cup win, like Luongo and Weber.

Don't underestimate the value of Price's spectacular performance in the Sochi Olympics. His Olympic Gold Medal is a major piece of hardware.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Probably not the nicest thing to say in this thread but i'm going to be honest.

Shea Weber for me, has always been one of the most overrated players of his generation.

Overrated doesn't mean he sucked...just means he was rated too highly. I never saw what everyone saw and when he became a Habs, he confirmed everything I ever thought about him.

Granted, he became a Montreal Canadiens player in the latter part of his career.

Again, don't get me wrong...very good player, at his peak, probably one of the best Dmen in the NHL but I don't think that peak was long enough.

But he was big, tough, had a big shot and was Canadian...so rah rah rah.

Congratulations to him though, his peers clearly thought differently than I lol so good for him.

Certainly not a puck mover type with elite skating but the value he provided in the D zone was underrated by many. He's one of those guys you just hate playing against and that is a skill you can't take away from him or diminish. His goal scoring/season is right up there against anybody in the modern era.

True Hall of Famer? Fringe type I would say but he got voted in.

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Certainly not a puck mover type with elite skating but the value he provided in the D zone was underrated by many. He's one of those guys you just hate playing against and that is a skill you can't take away from him or diminish. His goal scoring/season is right up there against anybody in the modern era.
Single season? His best goal scoring season (23 goals) places him 62nd in NHL history amongst best single season goal scoring totals amongst Dmen.

If you're talking about career? He's 15th all time amongst Dmen.
True Hall of Famer? Fringe type I would say but he got voted in.
Agreed

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
There always seems to be confusion on what the standards of induction are for players:

Playing ability, sportsmanship, character and contributions to his or her team or teams and to the game of hockey in general.

Believe that Shea Weber brought a lot of those attributes to the teams he played for.

Reactions: Deebs

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
The vast majority of Habs fans believe Weber's career began in October 2016.

EDIT: scratch that, it began during that unfortunate game 7 earlier that year when he got walked in a few highlight videos

Last edited:

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Favorite hab since subban, and I liked him even more than PK. Such a toxic beast I loved watching him play. He could get away with murder, the refs respected him way too much.

Him and Ben chariot were a treat to watch in 2021. Crosschecks for days
i also liked that combo. Price was great with that first pass from behind his net to the point where Bargainbin could get bigger D that is otherwise too slow for today's hockey.

I think if he had spent his career in the east in a bigger market, he would have had a norris or two.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The bar for Hall Of Fame hardware has been lowered; it's the result of so many more teams. Stanley Cups no longer come in bulk. We may as well get used to seeing more inductees without a single Cup win, like Luongo and Weber.

Don't underestimate the value of Price's spectacular performance in the Sochi Olympics. His Olympic Gold Medal is a major piece of hardware.
Price also gets in with no cup. Wonder if he be first ballot though?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He’s a first ballot hall of famer if Shea Weber is. He was better and more dominant at his position. What’s interesting though, is outside of the one season with all the hardware there isn’t very much for individual awards at the NHL level. It’s a pretty weak resume imo, you have to include Sochi and Junior to validate arguments on his behalf.

I think he was the best in the world for a short time, I think that reputation followed him for much longer than it were true.

There are many weaker players in the hall. Overall, he’s deserving I suppose. However, I believe the bar should be extremely high or there is no point in having one.

In term of individual awards at the NHL level it's not better for Weber though. Two more top 10 norris than top 10 vezina but no top 10 hart. Price will get in that's pretty nuch certain.

Price :

1 vezina
1 hart
1 masterton
1 jennings (technically not individual but hey the number 2 was Tokarski ...)
1 ted lindsay

7 top 10 vezina
2 top 10 hart
1 top 10 calder

Weber :

1 messier award

9 top 10 norris

I mean the HOF has been the hall of great for a long time now and with Carbo in you could make a case it's now the hall of good. The problem is unlike baseball someone has to get in every year and the dead puck era was so weak that they will have no choice but to add guys with few awards in the upcoming years.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
In term of individual awards at the NHL level it's not better for Weber though. Two more top 10 norris than top 10 vezina but no top 10 hart. Price will get in that's pretty nuch certain.

Price :

1 vezina
1 hart
1 masterton
1 ted lindsay

7 top 10 vezina
2 top 10 hart
1 top 10 calder

Weber :

1 messier award

9 top 10 norris

I mean the HOF has been the hall of great for a long time now and with Carbo in you could make a case it's now the hall of good. The problem is unlike baseball someone has to get in every year and the dead puck era was so weak that they will have no choice but to add guys with few awards in the upcoming years.
I think Price has a much stronger case to be a first ballot hofer than Weber. No argument on that from me. If Weber got in on his first try then Price is a lock imo.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
i also liked that combo. Price was great with that first pass from behind his net to the point where Bargainbin could get bigger D that is otherwise too slow for today's hockey.

I think if he had spent his career in the east in a bigger market, he would have had a norris or two.

well, I think Nashville has a much brighter spotlight now than it used to. Weber came in when the team was in it's 6 or 7th season back when expansion rules were not very favorable to the new clubs.

It took them a long time to build things up, and they generally began being known for ownership issues off the ice. On the ice, they became an institution for dmen, but their forwards were lacking big time for alot of those years.

It was always an incomplete team with budget constraints, but Weber was the central figure for an impressive crop of dmen. A little more exposure on a sexier team would have given him that miniscule bump he needed to knock off lidstrom for the norris, and like you said, he probably would have had another one as well.

Reactions: Gaud

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
well, I think Nashville has a much brighter spotlight now than it used to. Weber came in when the team was in it's 6 or 7th season back when expansion rules were not very favorable to the new clubs.

It took them a long time to build things up, and they generally began being known for ownership issues off the ice. On the ice, they became an institution for dmen, but their forwards were lacking big time for alot of those years.

It was always an incomplete team with budget constraints, but Weber was the central figure for an impressive crop of dmen. A little more exposure on a sexier team would have given him that miniscule bump he needed to knock off lidstrom for the norris, and like you said, he probably would have had another one as well.
Makes me sick to look at the talent in 2003 Draft and we never got anything. We could easily of had Bergeron and Weber. Speaks volumes on having good head scout.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
*inhales*

This PWHA member is a total re****

*exhales*

Sorry, this dman just doesn’t have the hardware necessary for greatness

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
It’s a combination is high end success from Junior to NHL ranks including international competition

HHOF basis of selection of candidates …

Playing ability, sportsmanship, character and contributions to his or her team or teams and to the game of hockey in general.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Price :

1 vezina
1 hart
1 masterton
1 ted lindsay

7 top 10 vezina
2 top 10 hart
1 top 10 calder

Weber :

1 messier award

9 top 10 norris

Where is the CHL goalie of the year, WJC & Olympics goalie of the tournament, AHL Calder Cup MVP?

Cooperstown is the MLB HOF not simply “baseball” hall of fame

As previously posted HHOF selection criteria is based on accomplishments “in the game of hockey in general”

There isn’t one G in the history of hockey that was as dominant at every level (goalie of the year / MVP) from as young an age - juniors, AHL, NHL incl international play …. let alone taking into consideration leadership / character attributes that are also basis of selection

Last edited:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Just read Basu article on him, yikes, crazy how much the guy had to endure to play and impact to this day. I'd take that over concussions any day though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad