Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Offer Sheets?!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Depends on how they use the $4.6m
If they don’t match then they are down Ceci, Desharnais, and Broberg and have only added Emberson. The D was already fairly weak last year despite performing well at times in the playoffs. And they are pretty much up against the cap once Kane returns.
I don't really think they have to do anything immediately. to start the season, they can roll:

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Emberson
Kulak Brown

Reactions: credulous

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't really think they have to do anything immediately. to start the season, they can roll:

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Emberson
Kulak Brown
Woof! That’s already pretty weak outside of the top pairing.
One injury and it’s a disaster.
It makes me wonder if they just might match Broberg and take the high cap hit.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Emberson
Kulak Brown

Emberson put up some solid numbers on a terrible Sharks team, but boy...rolling him out in the top four - attached to a Titanic-sized boat anchor in Darnell Nurse, no less - seems like a recipe for disaster.

The Oilers will outscore the majority of their problems anyway. But man, that bottom four is pretty stinky looking.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
the oilers bottom four (minus broberg) isn't that much -- if any -- worse than vancouver's

i think letting both holloway and broberg go to st louis is a smart play. they'll have 7-12m to fill out a roster where their only real weaknesses are their second pairing and goaltending. the picks will go a long way to helping them actually use that space at the deadline

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Emberson put up some solid numbers on a terrible Sharks team, but boy...rolling him out in the top four - attached to a Titanic-sized boat anchor in Darnell Nurse, no less - seems like a recipe for disaster.

The Oilers will outscore the majority of their problems anyway. But man, that bottom four is pretty stinky looking.
Kulak - Emberson will be their third pairing, we're still waiting to see who they target to upgrade ceci at 2rd, but I've definitely spent an hour on puckpedia looking at options.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022

Nurse is an issue, to be sure, but adding Broberg to that mix doesn't improve it IMO....especially considering his (hilarious) cap hit.

They can see what shakes loose during the great waiver sneak through, or which vets become redundant because they've been eclipsed by someone younger.

I'm not suggesting they should take that top six into the playoffs or anything, but I don't think they have to do anything now (or even before the regular season begins)

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
if he was going to make more than a million i suspect he'd have signed by now. He was making $3million last year and its clear he wasn't getting offered that again.
Agreed. And I think it makes sense to try it out at the very least. Having an option of a PMD in the bottom 4 instead of a multiplicity of the same type of Dman is important (Forbort, Desharnais, Juulsen). In a sense we could look at it as Podz for a 4th and room to sign Schultz. That definitely speaks more to the current imbalance of the team.

Reactions: Wisp

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver

Excluding contracts, not sure that is any worse than the Canucks bottom four. Nurse is massively overpaid but is still a second pairing-ish D. Would have him a bit above Soucy. I’d take Kulak over Myers too. Desharnais and Emberson are a bit of a wash as players with good results in limited minutes who both need to prove they can do more. Brown and Forbort are a wash too.

Can quibble with the rankings but it’s close. And the Oilers will have a pile of cap space to upgrade with.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Those two RHDs have contract lengths of 2 years and 3 years and they aren't paid #7 Dman salaries. How does that line up with Willander being on the roster at the end of this season?
Leaving ncaa this year and playing a few games to give myers some rest and integrating himslef next year. If he is good enough to we are in the second and final year of a $2m tradable Contract that could be a 7th dman if needed.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Excluding contracts, not sure that is any worse than the Canucks bottom four. Nurse is massively overpaid but is still a second pairing-ish D. Would have him a bit above Soucy. I’d take Kulak over Myers too. Desharnais and Emberson are a bit of a wash as players with good results in limited minutes who both need to prove they can do more. Brown and Forbort are a wash too.

Can quibble with the rankings but it’s close. And the Oilers will have a pile of cap space to upgrade with.

Forbort is better than Brown, if he's healthy. I'd also take Myers (assuming his second half of the season carries over) over Kulak. The issue with Nurse is they can't find anyone to play with him, best of luck to Broberg if that's his assignment. Canucks will be better defensively regardless because they have a system built around a certain type of defensemen.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I don’t think even Frank knows what’s going to happen. But letting both go might actually be a decent decision and they have their eyes on a defender on the trade market.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I don’t think even Frank knows what’s going to happen. But letting both go might actually be a decent decision and they have their eyes on a defender on the trade market.

He knew Bowman was going to Edmonton before it was even announced his suspension was lifted. If he’s saying he “won’t be surprised” if Broberg and Holloway go to St. Louis, IMO, it’s happening. His meat and potato, blue collar pals in Edmonton will give him all the scoops he wants.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
is there a posturing benefit to the league thinking they're not going to match?

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
The strange thing about this is I'd have taken a 2nd for Broberg.

If they don't match, I wonder if the Oilers will immediately try and turn the draft drafts picks into a defenceman.
For their sake I would f***ing hope so because they have two guys that can defend
Edmonton clears up cap space, acquires assets and then trades for Shea Theodore.
That would be hilarious the last thing they need is more Flash

I wonder what he would do if he had that 15 seconds back he took to post that

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
I once visited Oilers board to get their vibe. Thought I was still there reading the last couple pages of this thread.

Don’t we have a separate Around the League thread?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I once visited Oilers board to get their vibe. Thought I was still there reading the last couple pages of this thread.

We use this thread for league-wide trade stuff during the off-season. Will switch back and start moving posts around once pre-season is over.

Reactions: TomWillander1RD

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Craig Button on the TSN 'Hot or Not' panel discussion basically saying the Oilers would be crazy to let both Broberg and Holloway walk, with only a second and third round pick returning. He says they drafted these guys and spent four years developing them.

But makes me wonder what the strategy is behind acquiring Podz.....seems to me he's a cheaper depth forward option than Holloway. And bluntly, Broberg isn't remotely worth the $4.5m the Blues would be paying him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad