Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Cody Ceci and 2025 3rd for Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
So many posters are looking at each trade trying to determine if we won or lost and seem totally ignorant to the long-term plan and the locker room Grier is trying to create to nourish that. Life is not a video game, and we are not trying to win a cup with the team that will be iced next year.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Post on goodwill
No, I don't think it was goodwill

The Goodrow pickup makes sense when you consider that, at the time, the Sharks had 2 forwards with more than 300 career GP (and another with ~250) in their projected 12-man lineup. Had he come up empty during free agency, it would have been an unacceptable environment.

Walman and Ceci both came with assets and gave the Sharks some much needed puck-moving ability on the backend. This reduces the chance that they are forced to play a Vlasic or a rookie.

Reactions: timorous me

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
No, I don't think it was goodwill

The Goodrow pickup makes sense when you consider that, at the time, the Sharks had 2 forwards with more than 300 career GP (and another with ~250) in their projected 12-man lineup. Had he come up empty during free agency, it would have been an unacceptable environment.

Walman and Ceci both came with assets and gave the Sharks some much needed puck-moving ability on the backend. This reduces the chance that they are forced to play a Vlasic or a rookie.
Walman makes sense given team need and the 2nd. Ceci also makes sense in the absence of the desperation of EDM, but is a mediocre return given the situation.

Goodrow makes no sense at all based on the term and $$$. His contract was considered completely unmovable. There was not a single team in the league that would have taken him at 3.6M for 3 years. The only question was how much NYR would have to pay in assets and how much they would have o retain to move him. He had 12 pts and -13 on a very very good team. He was clearly no better than a 4th line shlub. Grier taking him for nothing off waivers was a complete shock around the league. I can only fathom this was a favor...

I also dont buy the "come up empty during UFA" contingency. There are ALWAYS a mountain of experienced vets looking for jobs. There still are today. The goodrow pickup makes a little sense based on SC winning experience, familiarity with SJ, and character, but not 3.6M for 3 years.

I see Grier as the cap fairy to troubled GMs. Down the line, those relationships can blossom and when the time comes for the sharks to acquire some guys, Grier can call up his buddies and make a play..

Reactions: General Manager

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
see Grier as the cap fairy to troubled GMs. Down the line, those relationships can blossom and when the time comes for the sharks to acquire some guys, Grier can call up his buddies and make a play..
The team barely hits the cap floor and getting guys for nothing while building up goodwill with other GMs is a real viable way to weaponize cap space. Everyone whining about not getting a third or something with Barclay simply can’t see the benefits beyond this year.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Goodrow had a no trade list. I swear we remind this forum every 3 days.
Yeah that’s why they had to get him via waivers and got no assets. It’s also why his contract was unmovable and how I can only think that Grier took him as a favor.

He now has helped yzerman, bowman, and drury out of their cap issues. I think it’s not forgotten, especially his old friend drury….

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Yeah that’s why they had to get him via waivers and got no assets. It’s also why his contract was unmovable and how I can only think that Grier took him as a favor.

He now has helped yzerman, bowman, and drury out of their cap issues. I think it’s not forgotten, especially his old friend drury….
I’m not convinced that Goodrow would have cleared waivers if the Sharks didn’t claim him. GMs look beyond a single year of some of the most brutal minutes in the league on the president trophy winning team. He was not asked to score points. He did the job he was tasked to do by the best regular season team in the league. If he was a UFA this season I bet he could have gotten 3x$2.5. So he is overpaid by $1 mil but still a legit NHL bottom 6 forward.

Serious question, is CC our best defenseman on paper?
Absolutely.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Goodrow makes no sense at all based on the term and $$$. His contract was considered completely unmovable.
Almost irrelevant to the Sharks's contract situation.
There was not a single team in the league that would have taken him at 3.6M for 3 years. The only question was how much NYR would have to pay in assets and how much they would have o retain to move him.
Save that he had a NTC that had the Sharks on it.
He had 12 pts and -13 on a very very good team. He was clearly no better than a 4th line shlub. Grier taking him for nothing off waivers was a complete shock around the league. I can only fathom this was a favor...

I also dont buy the "come up empty during UFA" contingency. There are ALWAYS a mountain of experienced vets looking for jobs. There still are today. The goodrow pickup makes a little sense based on SC winning experience, familiarity with SJ, and character, but not 3.6M for 3 years.
Or, he saw that his team was incredibly young, didn't want to risk missing his targets in free agency, and took a chance on a high-character, high-compete veteran forward. He probably also sees Goodrow as a 3rd liner...and again, the contract is almost nothing for the Sharks.

Ultimately, this was the binary Grier faced: Take Goodrow for his full contract, or don't get Goodrow at all. I'm betting that due to the situation, he decided to take Goodrow so that he had something in hand.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

He also helped Trotz get something out of Afanasyev, even if it's just AHL fodder in Ozzy. Time for that relationship to pay off with a sweetheart deal for Askarov. :naughty:

• Wow
Reactions: Munnyro

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
He also helped Trotz get something out of Afanasyev, even if it's just AHL fodder in Ozzy. Time for that relationship to pay off with a sweetheart deal for Askarov. :naughty:
It probably won’t happen regarding Askarov but I guarantee in a few years time we’ll get let off the hook or get an opportunity for first calls pertaining to trade inquiries and it’ll be because of the good will from Grier this offseason.

Reactions: ChompChomp

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
People are overthinking the Afanasyev trade. The Sharks saw a chance to get something for a player they didn't want and who didn't want to be here. They knew that Afanasyev might not want to come to SJ, and they made the trade anyway because what else could they do? It's the same logic from Nashville's POV, except there were probably more teams willing to take a flyer on Afanasyev.

Reactions: Cas

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Grier: "Hey, Barry. We'll give you this shiny new Eli Barnett for that crummy old Askarov who doesn't even want to be there. I guarantee Barnett wants to be there. And if you act now we'll even throw in a fantastic 5th round pick and Joey Muldowney free of charge! That's a two first round pick value, yours for the low low price of Yaro Askarov! But act now, supplies are limited!"

Then the Sharks run a tandem of Askarov and Romanov and have the league's only dual-lefty goalie pairing.

• Haha
Reactions: ChompChomp and Cas

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
Hey I dunno I figure a minute munching D man that can help us not get completely demoralized every night while not taking any of the offensive focus away from our new young studs? Sounds okay to me.

Reactions: knu

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Serious question, is CC our best defenseman on paper?

I think Ferraro is better. Maybe Walman is better, hopefully Muk and Thrun will be. To start the year, he’s no worse than 3. He’s at least our best RHD.

I hoped Emberson could prove to be a long term bottom pairing RHD. However, if we have Dickinson, Muk, and say Schaefer/Hensler, we've really only got room for one more youngish dman. Not sure Emberson would be that guy, though by the time we’d have 3 first round D in the line-up, he’d be what 28? I figured it would eventually come down to Pohlkamp, Havelid, and Emberson and hope one could lock down that 3RD spot.

Emberson is probably nothing, but his readiness, right handedness, size, and production gave reason for optimism that we wouldn’t have to replace 6/7 dmen who were on the roster (Ferraro vs everyone else).

I’m surprised so many also seemed to like him, but I think that mostly signals how little we have that’s NHL-ready on the backend.

Last edited:
Reactions: coooldude

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
I can't believe we helped the Oilers keep Broberg and Holloway by making this trade.
Dont speak too fast.... EDM did not match!

Interesting.... not sure why edm made this deal then? Not matching meant they didnt need the cap relief this year. Weird....

Maybe they really wanted emberson??? Perhaps they see him as a real legit guy...

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I can't believe we helped the Oilers keep Broberg and Holloway by making this trade.
I can't believe the Oilers very clearly made their D worse by losing Broberg AND Ceci and only bringing in Emberson... and D was already a weak point. They can't be done dealing at this point, I would think... But you did say you expected their mgmt to do the wrong thing, so this feels like the wrong thing on gut reaction.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I can't believe the Oilers very clearly made their D worse by losing Broberg AND Ceci and only bringing in Emberson... and D was already a weak point. They can't be done dealing at this point, I would think... But you did say you expected their mgmt to do the wrong thing, so this feels like the wrong thing on gut reaction.
It looked like they were gearing up to do the sensible thing and keep Broberg but they came around in the end.

If they manage to turn the compensatory picks into a better defenseman than Ceci at the deadline I guess it could still be worth it.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
It looked like they were gearing up to do the sensible thing and keep Broberg but they came around in the end.

If they manage to turn the compensatory picks into a better defenseman than Ceci at the deadline I guess it could still be worth it.
As you said, I'm not sure who's going to be out there for them. I think they'll need to make a bigger non-deadline hockey trade to upgrade at/before (edit) the TDL. But we'd happily send Ceci back for a 2026 1st or 2nd...

sampler

Aug 3, 2018

Maybe the reaquire Ceci at the deadline? how ironic that would be...

But yeah, mysterious moves by Edm. They must really like emberson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad