Confirmed with Link: Patrik Laine and 2026 2nd round pick acquired from the Blue Jackets in exchange for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
In this case, he put his neck out on the line. Stating that due to his team sources, Montreal had minimal to zero interest in Laine. He deserves to get a verbal smack from us.

But he was speaking the truth....the fact that circumstances changed is not his fault. The need for unknowledgeable fans to bash more knowledgeable people every time they are incorrect is pathetic imo. Nobody has inside information in Montreal and Engels was simply stating that there was absolutely no corroborated rumours from anyone credible and this was the truth. Just because the mob ended up being right relative to their mountain of false rumours is just a mathematical certainty at some point and does not represent validation for them nor does it open the door for criticism for Engels.

The Habs wanted Marchessault and there is no question that Laine was a fall back option that was not seriously considered until it was perhaps the last one standing. Considering how Hughes has avoided players with attitude/work ethic issues the smart money would have been on avoiding Laine. My opinion also was that Laine was not a natural fit but would be possible only if he survived a thorough vetting by Hughes and company. Clearly they believe that the risk/reward ratio is acceptable after a deep dive on Laine's situation and his current mindset.

Of course it is ok to rib Engels about being wrong but people calling him a clown because he was wrong on Laine (He did not entirely rule it out) is nonsense and typical tribal silliness that is making the world so unbearable at times.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I would switch Anderson and Armia

And Laine on the 1st PP

Fine with switching Anderson and Armia.

I don't think Laine will get Caufield's PP1 spot, they'll set up their in house guys first. They'll let Dach and Laine run PP2 imo.

In a year we could be looking at a top 9 of

Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Caufield
Demidov-Dach-Laine
Newhook-Beck-Roy

Reactions: Redux91

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Why are so many people putting Laine and Caufield at right wing???? Have they never watched these guys play lol

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Laine
Newhook-Dach-Caufield
Roy-Dvorak-Anderson
Gallagher-Evans-Armia
Pezzetta

Matheson-Guhle
Hutson-Savard
Xhekaj-Barron
Struble

PP1

Hutson-Newhook

PP2

Roy-Dach-Laine
Matheson-Armia
Do you see Hutson replacing Matheson on PP1? Asking for my fantasy teams. Hutson widely available on waivers. :skeptic:

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009

I don't think Laine will get Caufield's PP1 spot, they'll set up their in house guys first. They'll let Dach and Laine run PP2 imo.

Demidov-Dach-Laine
Newhook-Beck-Roy
Hage needed another few years?

What happens if they draft top 10 next year? They take another forward or go RD?

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Looks as if I caught another stray. Oh well, welcome to Montreal Mr. Laine. I didn’t think he would be here but he is and now we root for him. I didn’t even learn about the trade till an hour ago when one of my best buddies here in Newfoundland texted me. f*** you @Habs. Love ya.
I'm glad he texted you and didn't use a Carrier pigeon my friend. You found out about the Roy trade 3 years too late :(
Take care of yourself.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Why are so many people putting Laine and Caufield at right wing???? Have they never watched these guys play lol

Caufield-Suzuki-Slafkovsky
Laine-Dach-Demidov

I think that’s the lines. There’s a fantasy about putting Caufield with Dach but with Laine you don’t need to do that anymore. We already know that first line is elite as it stands

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Demidov-Dach-Laine
Newhook-Beck-Roy

Laine speciality is the PP, I can see a place for both Laine and Caufield. Laine on the point and Caufield closer to the net

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Laine-Dach-Demidov

I think that’s the lines. There’s a fantasy about putting Caufield with Dach but with Laine you don’t need to do that anymore. We already know that first line is elite as it stands
The big question mark will be the health of both Dach and now Laine. It looks really nice on paper but there’s a lot of unknowns.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
But he was speaking the truth....the fact that circumstances changed is not his fault. The need for unknowledgeable fans to bash more knowledgeable people every time they are incorrect is pathetic imo. Nobody has inside information in Montreal and Engels was simply stating that there was absolutely no corroborated rumours from anyone credible and this was the truth. Just because the mob ended up being right relative to their mountain of false rumours is just a mathematical certainty at some point and does not represent validation for them nor does it open the door for criticism for Engels.

The Habs wanted Marchessault and there is no question that Laine was a fall back option that was not seriously considered until it was perhaps the last one standing. Considering how Hughes has avoided players with attitude/work ethic issues the smart money would have been on avoiding Laine. My opinion also was that Laine was not a natural fit but would be possible only if he survived a thorough vetting by Hughes and company. Clearly they believe that the risk/reward ratio is acceptable after a deep dive on Laine's situation and his current mindset.

Of course it is ok to rib Engels about being wrong but people calling him a clown because he was wrong on Laine (He did not entirely rule it out) is nonsense and typical tribal silliness that is making the world so unbearable at times.
It wasn't so much that he was wrong EP. It was more how cocky he was in his opinion, while throwing out the fact that it was confirmed by team officials. If he would have used the info, (I still doubt he has access to much) yet stated it as his opinion. He probably wouldn't get the flak that he's getting from us, right now.

Now he just looks like a puppet. Repeating whatever information management wanted him to spew out. Also he stated this a few days ago. Marchessault has been out of the picture for awhile.

I'll agree though, calling him a clown may be too much.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Laine-Dach-Demidov

Those lines look good.

Newhook and Roy on the 2nd line is gross

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Laine
Newhook-Dach-Caufield
Roy-Dvorak-Anderson
Gallagher-Evans-Armia
Pezzetta

Matheson-Guhle
Hutson-Savard
Xhekaj-Barron
Struble

PP1

Hutson-Newhook

PP2

Roy-Dach-Laine
Matheson-Armia

Yeah, there's definitely enough talent to compete for the playoffs. Adding Hutson and Laine to the PP will instantly make it a lot better. It'll be interesting to see how Beck, Kapanen, Reinbacher and Mailloux handle themselves in camp too. Should be a fun year.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Laine-Dach-Demidov

It certainly looks like it is set up for such an arrangement next season.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Can't think of the last time the team had shooters like Suzuki, Laine and Caufield up front. Even Slaf has a goalscorers shot, but he doesn't have the goal scoring mentality yet.

One thing that's interesting is that Laine handles himself well enough at center, so the team definitely has multiple options down the middle.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I have a bad habit of putting them where they are listed, not where they necessarily line up on the ice and how Marty uses them.

Do you see Hutson replacing Matheson on PP1? Asking for my fantasy teams. Hutson widely available on waivers. :skeptic:

Not initially but eventually, I do.

Laine speciality is the PP, I can see a place for both Laine and Caufield. Laine on the point and Caufield closer to the net

That could work but I really like Newhook in the bumper slot. Definitely a lot of different ways to make things look now that we have more options.

Yeah, there's definitely enough talent to compete for the playoffs. Adding Hutson and Laine to the PP will instantly make it a lot better. It'll be interesting to see how Beck, Kapanen, Reinbacher and Mailloux handle themselves in camp too. Should be a fun year.

Going to be fun this year and next year is gonna be absolutely bonkers. This is such a fun time.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Hage needed another few years?

What happens if they draft top 10 next year? They take another forward or go RD?

Hage probably does two years in the NCAA - so a chance for him to jump in and play games at the end of next season, not sure what that would look like.. things get crowded very quickly.

And if they draft top ten again this year.. I think it would depend on what the options are, RD is unlikely because the class isn't that strong as of right now. I, again, think they'd go with someone like Spence.. another forward with skill and some size/bite to their game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad