Confirmed with Link: Patrik Laine and 2026 2nd round pick acquired from the Blue Jackets in exchange for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Newhook brings an element of speed that will blend well with Dach and Laine. I can see a future line of Beck-Roy that will remind of Danault-Tatar. May as well add Gallagher to that line.
Roy is a better passer and is the guy that needs to grow to the next level this year.

Newhook showed he could be really effective with Armia and Gallagher.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
After this trade proves to be more than a depth move. Your surprise will be me showing up at your front door carrying this lol

View attachment 902013
Now I just have to figure out what type of wine goes with crow lol ;)
Nothing would make me happier than to see this turn into Monahan 2.0. And there’s a real possibility that it might.

For Harris and getting a second? This was a trade well worth doing.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
We have so much ammo and so much cap space starting next year, without even needing to pay a premium to get rid of Gally's and Anderson's contract.

We're going to be in an insanely good position to add a high end player next offseason. And Kent might actually pull it off.

Can't remember the last time this was an actual possibility and not just a pipedream.
As of now, Montreal becomes much more attractive to free agents, due to this momentum. It may not finish high in the standings compared to mature teams like the Rangers or Leafs, but the appeal of its palpable improvement is starting to make waves. It isn't the number in the standings column per se, but its slope (its derivative, for mathies) that maps to momentum. That plus the goodwill that ambassadors like MSL and Hugues elicit.

Last edited:

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
very very excited for this upcoming season. so many interesting storylines.

heck the team might even stay competitive when the annual inevitable, crushing, season-ending injury occurs :laugh:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
A lot would make me happier. Like Laine clicking with Suzuki & Slaf, potting 40 goals and getting an 8 season extension up to his retirement.
He has the talent to do it. But I’m not sure if he has the health. We’ll see.

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
Thank you Jordan Harris! You got bumped down not because of poor play but because of depth. I wish you the best as you continue your career in Columbus. Welcome Patrick Laine! You might be the piece that unlocks Kirby Dach. You both have suffered through injuries and this may be the best center/playmaker you’ve played with to date. Go light it up!

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I just don't think he looks anything but realistic, honest and rational. This approach will lead you to being correct far more than the hyperbolic mob of rumour mongers but they will be right every now and again and you just have to grin and bear it. I think he was justified in ridiculing the fake rumours and internet charlatans but there is a risk to doing this as even the most egregious fool can get lucky in the world of sports. I am sure he will be a good sport about it as I just didn't read anything other than the annoyance that I feel from unknowledgeable people who lie and exaggerate without the evidence to support their assertions. Of course Laine was always an option but only if he survived the vetting process and given his past that was far from a guarantee.

Engels is the best Habs beat writer by a land slide and to tar and feather him as some are choosing to do is sad imo, but is also typical of a large portion of our sad society.
He looks like a used car sales person to me, but that's a different story.

If he was realistic, honest, and rational, we wouldn't be having this conversation. In this situation he was cocky and arrogant. Even the biggest critics here on our board. Atleast acknowledged that there was a possibility that we might be interested in Laine. While he portrayed the statement of their being zero interest as fact. Which he then doubled down and said it was backed by information he obtained from team officials. Not from rumours, but from a reliable source.

Even you agree that Laine was always an option. If he passed the vetting process. While Engels, squashed that and stated there was minimal to zero interest.

I don't see a lot of strong candidates. So naming Engels the best, isn't really impressive to me.

People make mistakes. Rumours change from day to day, hour to hour. My issue with Engels in this situation is he stated what he said as fact. Not stating his opinion, but as fact, Even going as far as laughing at the possibility of the Habs being interested in Laine, when he was questioned.

I'll agree, sometimes people, myself included do go overboard. In this particular situation. I still believe it's justified.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Nothing would make me happier than to see this turn into Monahan 2.0. And there’s a real possibility that it might.

For Harris and getting a second? This was a trade well worth doing.
Oh man, I thought you were gonna say you'd be happy to see me. Especially since I was bringing dinner and wine ;)

You've kept an open mind through all of this. Which is why our debates have been fun. Agreed, I actually thought the price to obtain Laine, might be a little more.

Reactions: Runner77

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Mixed feelings about this. If he is finally matured after all of these years, this experiment could surprise us. Here in Finland he was big junior star before NHL draft, entitled, every coaches nightmare. And last year there was some comment from Jets(?) ex- management employee that he wanted only play power plays in Winnipeg? Coming to Montreal is ultimate test for him. Hopefully everything goes right for him and Habs.
Traded for a guy who was going on waivers with a cap hit that was unused. No risk, all reward.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Slaf - Suzuki - Demidov
Laine - Dach - Caufield
3LW - Newhook - Roy
4LW - Beck - 4RW

Hutson - Reinbacher
Ghule - Mailloux
Matheson - Xhekaj
Struble - Engstrom

All possible for the season after this upcoming one. My god. And that's not even taking into account prospects like Hage that will be on the team a little further down the line. Would be nice if Anderson could get his shit together enough to be a serviceable 3rd liner but I'm not holding my breath.

Couple of bad contracts to get rid of and a few holes to fill and we'll be off to the races.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Gamble may work out. But I am big on character. Why I think Hughes will flip Laine at deadline retained. Laine on pace for 30 goals at 4.4 million has good value.
If Laine hits, he’s not a guy you flip at 26. You keep him and sign him for life.

Slaf - Suzuki - Demidov
Laine - Dach - Caufield
3LW - Newhook - Roy
4LW - Beck - 4RW

Hutson - Reinbacher
Ghule - Mailloux
Matheson - Xhekaj
Struble - Engstrom

All possible for the season after this upcoming one. My god. And that's not even taking into account prospects like Hage that will be on the team a little further down the line. Would be nice if Anderson could get his shit together enough to be a serviceable 3rd liner but I'm not holding my breath.

Couple of bad contracts to get rid of and a few holes to fill and we'll be off to the races.
I want to see Laine with Dach and Slaf. Size for days. How did Hughes do this in such a short time? That’s crazy.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
If Laine hits, he’s not a guy you flip at 26. You keep him and sign him for life.
That's how I see it. If he is not too greedy and meshes with the team, buying into MSL's positive mindset, and his injury woes are behind him, I'd love for HuGo to have that conversation with him. The team is desperate for forward talent with a top-corner laser that complements Caufield's and Suzuki's.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Oh man, I thought you were gonna say you'd be happy to see me. Especially since I was bringing dinner and wine ;)

You've kept an open mind through all of this. Which is why our debates have been fun. Agreed, I actually thought the price to obtain Laine, might be a little more.
I said I’d do it for Harris. I think I also said I’d expect a pick back. Hugo delivered.

He knows what he’s doing. There’s not much risk with this and there’s some good upside.

But I wouldn’t expect 40 goals. I think expectations should be measured. If he crushes it? Awesome. But I see him as a depth move for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad