Confirmed with Link: Patrik Laine and 2026 2nd round pick acquired from the Blue Jackets in exchange for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I f***ing love this trade, Hughes has redeemed the offseason big time with this move. Easily my favorite trade from Hughes.

I was honestly getting pretty annoyed, if you asked me yesterday, I would've said this team is a bottom-5 lock, with a better chance at being the worst team in the league than a playoff team.

Now? I am so thankful that they are not committing to another tank, and it's unpopular here but there are a couple other moves I would love too.

Gallagher + Barron for Letang next.

Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Laine
Newhook-Dach-Caufield
Roy-Dvorak-Anderson

Guhle-Letang
Matheson-Savard
Hutson/Xhekaj/Struble/Mailloux
Letang 37yo 6.1M$ for 4 years that contract is +35yo(so there are addition retriction) is worst than Gallagher 32yo 6.5M$ for 3 years... I hope that it is unpopular and that it doesn't happen... Why would we acquire a player with a longer contract and why would we even consider adding Barron?
Letang doesn't fit our needs or time line at all especially not that we added Laine.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yes. Pretty much no risk. In 2 years Demidov, Beck, possibly Hage, Xhekaj etc will be ready. It's a chance to contend now. if it doesn't work out there will be replacements in 2 years.

And we paid a guy that was very likely to get traded anyway, possibly for less than a 2nd.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
The deal would never have got done without Waddell "Garciously" allowing us cmplete access to the entire dossier including the interview with Laine.
I love how Kent Hughes uses terms that will endear the GM's he's fleecing. :sarcasm:
Lol me too.

True, you can't say Waddell isn't a man of his word. He stated that he would do anything reasonable to grant Laine his wish.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
In a previous thread not long ago, I mentioned that "if they do want to acquire Laine, they really need to thoroughly do their due diligence.".

Hughes mentioned the trade being worked through weeks. They apparently talked to multiple people who knew Laine from his current and previous teams. All of Gorton, Hughes and MSL had a talk with him. They went through his medical file.

This is exactly what I meant. They certainly do their work and it makes me want to give them the benefit of the doubt. I'll reiterate what I said about Laine, I like him as a player. My posting history on him shows I've always liked him quite a bit. I'm just hoping he enjoys playing here and he's healthy both physically and mentally, because he's an insane talent.

TheCableGuy1

Aug 19, 2024
In the shadowed halls of our past, there was a day when darkness fell upon our hearts—the day Marc Bergevin, with a stroke of his pen, sundered our spirit by trading P.K. Subban. It was as though the light of the Canadiens had been snuffed out, and a cold wind swept through our ranks. The joy that once filled our hearts turned to sorrow, and our faith wavered in the face of such a grievous blow. We wandered through seasons of doubt, our hope dimmed, our trust shaken.

But lo! From the depths of despair, a new dawn breaks. Kent Hughes, the Magician of the North, has wrought a mighty deed, a spell of such power that it rekindles the flame within us. With the arrival of Patrik Laine, the fire has been stoked anew. His presence on the ice is like the rising of a great star, a beacon of strength and glory that calls us to believe once more.

Now, we stand at the cusp of a new era, our banners raised high. The wounds of the past heal as we march forward, our hearts united under the promise of what is to come. For with Laine in our midst, we shall rise again, stronger and more determined, ready to reclaim the honor that was lost. The future is ours, and together, we shall carve our legacy into the annals of history. So let the echoes of our faith ring out, for this is the turning of the tide!

Attachments

• IMG_6537.jpeg
    IMG_6537.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 2

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Believe it or not, for few weeks, I've been thinking (and dreaming) about trading Harris + 2nd pick for Laine whose $2.7M salary is retained (we pay $6M, so less than Suz).

Dream comes true for me :)

Reactions: Big Lurk

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Letang 37yo 6.1M$ for 4 years that contract is +35yo(so there are addition retriction) is worst than Gallagher 32yo 6.5M$ for 3 years... I hope that it is unpopular and that it doesn't happen... Why would we acquire a player with a longer contract and why would we even consider adding Barron?
Letang doesn't fit our needs or time line at all especially not that we added Laine.
Because Letang is good and Gallagher and Barron are not. This has been the worst 3 year performance in the history of this franchise and I would like to turn it around.

Letang is a legend and actually the best role model you could ask for with all our young defenseman. There is zero log jam at RHD either, Savard is the only NHL caliber RHD on the roster, and Mailloux and Reinbacher could both benefit form more AHL time.

The only real hold up for me is the 35+ contract, I agree that is tough. But it is only 1 extra year and you're saving money the first 3 years. The cap will be at 90m+, there are many work arounds. Retain 2 mil on Gallagher and 2 mil on Letang and that makes the worst case scenario 4.1m burnt.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
In the shadowed halls of our past, there was a day when darkness fell upon our hearts—the day Marc Bergevin, with a stroke of his pen, sundered our spirit by trading P.K. Subban. It was as though the light of the Canadiens had been snuffed out, and a cold wind swept through our ranks. The joy that once filled our hearts turned to sorrow, and our faith wavered in the face of such a grievous blow. We wandered through seasons of doubt, our hope dimmed, our trust shaken.

But lo! From the depths of despair, a new dawn breaks. Kent Hughes, the Magician of the North, has wrought a mighty deed, a spell of such power that it rekindles the flame within us. With the arrival of Patrik Laine, the fire has been stoked anew. His presence on the ice is like the rising of a great star, a beacon of strength and glory that calls us to believe once more.

Now, we stand at the cusp of a new era, our banners raised high. The wounds of the past heal as we march forward, our hearts united under the promise of what is to come. For with Laine in our midst, we shall rise again, stronger and more determined, ready to reclaim the honor that was lost. The future is ours, and together, we shall carve our legacy into the annals of history. So let the echoes of our faith ring out, for this is the turning of the tide!

Except the Subban for Weber trade was a brave move, right and just. It was a good trade that we won.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I’m not buying this “Montreal pressure could get to him”. He essentially got traded as a cap dump and will have no expectation to lead the team. I think it’s extremely optimistic to think he can go back to his 40 goal ways, but 30-30 could be realistic if healthy.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I'd have taken Letang few years ago for sure, but his current contract is atrocious
Except the Subban for Weber trade was a brave move, right and just. It was a good trade that we won.
Don't get us started on this shit. Completely off-topic anyway.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I’m not buying this “Montreal pressure could get to him”. He essentially got traded as a cap dump and will have no expectation to lead the team. I think it’s extremely optimistic to think he can go back to his 40 goal ways, but 30-30 could be realistic if healthy.

What I do wonder, is whether "media pressure" can even exist in 2024, in the sense that we meant in, say, 2008.

The medias don't have nearly as much power as they used to back in the TV days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad