Rumor: Sharks working on Evander Kane trade, will eat 50%

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I think Kane is going to play hardball with SJ. He mentioned that San Jose has his three team trade list. I personally think he listed impossible franchises to trade to, and he's going to stew in the AHL until SJ either decides he can play in the NHL again or he gets bought out in the summer. He knows that he gets $14 million over 6 years no matter what. He can tell his creditors that no matter what he's going to get that money. They can put a garnishment on that and bam, problem solved. Then he can go back and sign somewhere else in the offseason.

Other thing to consider is that he just got custody of his child. What's to prevent his wife from going to the judge and saying that he's uprooting the child's life and disrupting it by being traded and living in a new state, etc.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I could see the Leafs taking the chance on him because he will at 50% and low cost. Can't really acquire a player like him at that cap hit without giving up significant pieces.

Plus they probably feel like it worked with Ho-Sang's reclamation project, that they can do it too. I agree with one poster saying he'll be ok for a season or two then go back to his ways.

Imo, I'm not sure how to feel, he's a great player but is it worth it if the team becomes divided? We already have some babies on the team. I guess if they take him to and from the arena like hannibal lecter then I'd be okay with it :laugh:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think a team with a strong leadership group that needs offense could take a shot. Boston, Pitts?
Not sure how the cap works but that would be my guess.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
I think Kane is going to play hardball with SJ. He mentioned that San Jose has his three team trade list. I personally think he listed impossible franchises to trade to, and he's going to stew in the AHL until SJ either decides he can play in the NHL again or he gets bought out in the summer. He knows that he gets $14 million over 6 years no matter what. He can tell his creditors that no matter what he's going to get that money. They can put a garnishment on that and bam, problem solved. Then he can go back and sign somewhere else in the offseason.

Other thing to consider is that he just got custody of his child. What's to prevent his wife from going to the judge and saying that he's uprooting the child's life and disrupting it by being traded and living in a new state, etc.

Seems like SJ kind of holds the cards though given he wants to play in NHL to get another contract, if they get a team to bite and they say "this NHL team wants you do you accept?" why would Kane want to stay in the AHL just to spite SJ?

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Seems like SJ kind of holds the cards though given he wants to play in NHL to get another contract, if they get a team to bite and they say "this NHL team wants you do you accept?" why would Kane want to stay in the AHL just to spite SJ?

I think its more to stay in San Jose with his child since the farm team is there as well.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
But Buffalo could be a catalyst in a trade.
For example San Jose trades Kane with 50% retention to the Sabres for Kyle Okposo and they eat another 50% so the receiving team gets him at 1,75.
I know the Sabres don't like to retain or they would have done so with Eichel, but it might work, especially if they receive a sweetener.
They also might retain less than 50%, say just a million which wouldn't hurt much and many teams could take on Kane's cap hit and salary more easily.
That would mean more teams interested and therefore the price would increase.
If and only if no one wants Kane at 3.5 but someone does want him at 1.75, then there may be room for some arbitrage for a team with cap to spare. It could happen, I suppose, but I wouldn't expect it.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
But Buffalo could be a catalyst in a trade.
For example San Jose trades Kane with 50% retention to the Sabres for Kyle Okposo and they eat another 50% so the receiving team gets him at 1,75.
I know the Sabres don't like to retain or they would have done so with Eichel, but it might work, especially if they receive a sweetener.
They also might retain less than 50%, say just a million which wouldn't hurt much and many teams could take on Kane's cap hit and salary more easily.
That would mean more teams interested and therefore the price would increase.

The problem with this scenario is that with all his baggage, Kane is not worth a ton, even at 1.75, and if you are asking Buffalo to retain over 6 million in cap (total over 3.5 years), and almost 6 million in actually cash salary, they are going to want at least a 1st round pick.

San Jose isn't trading a first to dump kane while retaining 3.5 per year, and the acquiring team isn't likely to give up a first either, given the PR backlash and potential for the deal to backfire.

Now I could be wrong, as stranger things have happened, but I honestly don't see a realistic path where anyone ponies up the assets required to entice a 3rd team to get involved and retain that much.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
I’d take a flyer on him in Toronto at 50 or 75% if he’s cheap, but not paying big assets for him….WAY too much smoke around this guy not to be some sort of a fire

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
If I was guessing I would say Khl and then gets legs broken over gambling debts to the Russian mafia. Or maybe he finds god.......

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
The fact that a judge granted Kane sole custody of his 1 year old daughter is quite surprising. Maybe being a Dad will change him.
Well his ex wife clearly has some issues too. Kane is a bad person, but he seems mentally sound. (Also you pretty much have head and shoulders above the mother to be a father that gets sole custody).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad