Rumor: Sharks working on Evander Kane trade, will eat 50%

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It would be an embarrassment for the league if he got traded to a team and won a cup...

Maybe. Depends on his behavior after being traded and during the rest of the season and playoffs. I mean, if you literally didn't hear a peep out of him during interviews or on Twitter, his teammates say he's a good guy, and he proves to be a productive member, why would that be a bad thing?

What if DeAngelo wins this year with the Hurricanes?

It's not like the league has just "let him off the hook" for anything. Dude has not played this year, he's currently in the AHL, he's going to get moved, he's working through his financial wreckage, and presumably whatever additional court battles he's in...all while being in the public eye.

I mean, what's the solution? What else needs to be done to him?

Reactions: Rob Brown and YP44

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
If we're taking those 3, we don't retain anything. If we need to retain 50% and take back multiple bad deals, you're paying us in picks/prospects.
Everyone knows the Sharks want to move him and will retain 50% so the Sharks will not get great value trading from a position of weakness. They will most likely get a player to make the money work and not much else

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
He has been good, but we can’t get Kane for nothing.
Sharks won’t get much from their position of desperately wanting to move him. It’s exactly the type of trade and player Toronto needs if he can get his shit together. It’s a risk but very interesting

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Everyone knows the Sharks want to move him and will retain 50% so the Sharks will not get great value trading from a position of weakness. They will most likely get a player to make the money work and not much else
Were not going to take on additional cap and solve all your problems at the same time. Not gifting you a 1st liner at a sweet cap hit for your problems. No way. We're better off buying him out than harming ourselves for no benefit at all.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Were not going to take on additional cap and solve all your problems at the same time. Not gifting you a 1st liner at a sweet cap hit for your problems. No way. We're better off buying him out than harming ourselves for no benefit at all.
The buyout costs more than the retention so as the owner of the sharks I’d rather trade him at 50% retention. It won’t be looked at as “ Let’s help Toronto “ but it’s a let’s help each other scenario that happens to involve the Leafs . Everyone knows Kane is a 1st line winger but this is a super rare scenario where the return will be more like a return trading a 3rd line winger. It’s a really crappy situation for the Sharks but trading him is what the entire organization wants to do and it’s been made public they will retain half the contract so the return will be nowhere close to fair value to San Jose. They want this situation done sooner than later

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
My prediction is Evander Kane to Chicago. There are a couple of trades which might benefit both teams. Connolly is dead cap in the minors and Chicago may prefer using his salary towards a roster player. In this case, Chicago may add a pick to get Evander.
Chicago also has to decide what they are doing with Dylan Strome because I have my doubts that they are sold on him long-term. He is skilled but may benefit from another change of scenery. Ryan Strome was also a bit of a late bloomer and San Jose may take a flyer on him if it meant being able to discharge Kane, and at 50% retained Chicago would save money compared to Strome's upcoming qualifying offer/contract demands.

I think San Jose will want to pick up an asset in any trade they make, so fans of other teams have to stop expecting a free asset.

Edit: I see that Connolly has Just been called back up. Looking forward to seeing if he can put it together again.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
The buyout costs more than the retention so as the owner of the sharks I’d rather trade him at 50% retention. It won’t be looked at as “ Let’s help Toronto “ but it’s a let’s help each other scenario that happens to involve the Leafs . Everyone knows Kane is a 1st line winger but this is a super rare scenario where the return will be more like a return trading a 3rd line winger. It’s a really crappy situation for the Sharks but trading him is what the entire organization wants to do and it’s been made public they will retain half the contract so the return will be nowhere close to fair value to San Jose. They want this situation done sooner than later
Buyout is better than paying 50% and taking on multiple cap dumps. That trade helps Toronto enormously and screws SJ.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I didn’t say anything about multiple cap dumps. Maybe it’s a prospect and a mid draft pick with one player moving to make the money fit.
I was referring to an awful proposal, which is why were having this discussion. You just kind of inserted yourself into the responses. I never changed subject.

Last edited:

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Buyout is better than paying 50% and taking on multiple cap dumps. That trade helps Toronto enormously and screws SJ.

SJ is screwed no matter what they do, so pick your poison: Get rid of the contract by attaching assets or buy him out and have that on your Cap for how many years?

You're getting nothing for him, understand that upfront. It's to no one's benefit to help you and the other team is taking the risk, not you. The best-case scenario is having him off your team and his money off your books which again is going to cost you picks and maybe a prospect or two.

So make a choice and be done with him.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I was referring to an awful proposal, which is why were having this discussion. You just kind of inserted yourself into the responses. I never changed subject.

Any and every proposal for Kane is going to be terrible for SJ unless you realize that the win for SJ is getting him and his money out of the franchise. You're paying for him no matter what, in cash or in picks/prospects, so just make a decision.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
SJ is screwed no matter what they do, so pick your poison: Get rid of the contract by attaching assets or buy him out and have that on your Cap for how many years?

You're getting nothing for him, understand that upfront. It's to no one's benefit to help you and the other team is taking the risk, not you. The best-case scenario is having him off your team and his money off your books which again is going to cost you picks and maybe a prospect or two.

So make a choice and be done with him.

The proposal I was responding to would have us eat 50% of his contract and take on 3 separate cap dumps. That's worse than just standing pat, in my opinion.

Any and every proposal for Kane is going to be terrible for SJ unless you realize that the win for SJ is getting him and his money out of the franchise. You're paying for him no matter what, in cash or in picks/prospects, so just make a decision.

No need to rush into a bad decision that hurts us even more though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad