Rumor: Sharks working on Evander Kane trade, will eat 50%

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Yes I am correct there, 2 retention is the max
Yup.
Lowest the Leafs could get Phil is at 3.4 if the desert dogs eat 50% of his remaining cap.
That would be the 2nd retained transaction on his current contract, which is the max allowed per contract.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
hypothetically say he is traded and retained 4 or 5 times. Can the salary be less than the min if its on retained deals?

I know the other part has been answered, but if you're asking about league minimum, Kovalchuk was retained on while at league minimum.

He was signed by Montreal after being bought out by LA. He was then traded @ 50% to Washington by the deadline bringing his cap hit to 350k.

If that's not what you were asking then disregard.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
This guy has too much baggage. If he only had messed up once teams would likely show more interest but he finds a way to make the headlines and find himself in problematic situations every 2 months or so it seems.

At this point Kane is like the Jon Jones or Antonio Brown of the NHL
Still 20 to 30 goals plus inst easy and quite attractive

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
This guy has too much baggage. If he only had messed up once teams would likely show more interest but he finds a way to make the headlines and find himself in problematic situations every 2 months or so it seems.

At this point Kane is like the Jon Jones or Antonio Brown of the NHL

The only thing he has in common with Jones or Brown is skin colour. Jones in particular has a background that makes Kane look like a saint.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Could be a bad contract for bad contract trade. One gets lower cap, longer term, the other less bad player higher cap, less buyput friendly.

With this capsystem, is a source for GMs to makr creative trades to get somutions.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
For me, would need to be contingencies in place.

Kane at 50%
Plus a 1st rounder
Plus a conditional 2nd rounder

If he plays 55+ games each of the next 2 seasons then there is no 2nd rounder

If he plays less (assuming he gets waived or is a locker room issue) then team acquires a 2nd.

the attached 1st is for the risk
LMFAO

yikes

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
LMFAO

yikes
No one wanted him on waivers, no one wanted him at 50%.

Either buy him out or prepare to attach significant assets that quantify his major character flaws and term remaining on his contract.

We’ve seen 1st round picks attached to guys that have one year left and are stand up players (Marleau). I think for any Sharks fan actually expecting an asset in return is in for a rude awakening. But good luck!!

Reactions: pearljamvs5

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Nobody is taking that player, that contract, or that baggage this season. Could something be worked out in the offseason? Maybe. I doubt it though. There is just too much drama surrounding him and teams have enough to deal with these days without adding to the pile.

He's a prime candidate for a buyout. Then I see him bouncing around from team to team on 1yr low risk deals so as GMs can easily give him the boot if need be.

Reactions: amethyst

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Either buy him out or prepare to attach significant assets that quantify his major character flaws and term remaining on his contract.

We’ve seen 1st round picks attached to guys that have one year left and are stand up players (Marleau). I think for any Sharks fan actually expecting an asset in return is in for a rude awakening. But good luck!!

There's no proof to say no one wants him at 50%. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't show that at all.

Reactions: Frosty415

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA

How do you know no one wanted/wants him at 50%?

a lot of teams would take a top 6 LW at 3.5m.

Reactions: Frosty415

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008

1st rd pick would be value if taking 100% not 50%. Why on earth would the sharks attach a 1st rd pick to save an extra 2.375 mil of cap space a year rather than just leaving him in the minors? Using Marleau is pointless as his deal was full value for a team that expected to win now. Also until they put him on reentry waivers, No one knows if someone would take him at 50% for free. Sharks should just leave him buried in the AHL until his agents talks him into opening up to any team that wants him. It's his right for the 3 team list and the sharks right to leave him on the Cuda until a better option presents itself.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
If DeAngelo can get his **** together, so can E Kane.. even if he has more baggage.

DeAngelo is having a bounce-back season at $1M and no team commitment after this season. If he reverts back to his past self, there’s no risk past this season.

Kane, even at 50% retained, has 3 more years of commitment after this season. That’s a HUGE difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad