Rumor: Sharks working on Evander Kane trade, will eat 50%

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Whoooo wants that man?

They'll trade him if they cannnnnnn!

The break-ing point was fak-ing his vaccine!

(YEAUUUUHHHHHHH!)

giphy.gif

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
You were in the room? The team started to suck when he joined, after years and years of success, and those two left. Not a great argument. Every team he's been on he's been hated and on the Sharks they went from elite to the basement, like every other team he's been on, and have now rebounded without him to being respectable. I'm not saying what happened in SJ can be put all on him but there's not a lot of arrows in his favour and a whole lot going against him.
Lol that’s a horrible take. SJ stopped being good due to losing good players and other players aging.

When you replace Pavelski, Nyquist, Donskoi, Braun, and Dillon with nobody and have a bare prospect pipeline, you’re probably going to suck. Barclay Goodrow was literally the 1C for a good stretch of time.

Then add in EK65s injury, Burns getting old and not being a Norris contender, Vlasic falling off a cliff, and Jumbo going from 50 point guy to a 30 point guy.

Pavelski wanted to stay in SJ, but there wasn’t enough cap space. Jumbo wanted to go to a playoff team.

SJ is decent this year because they’re not relying on AHLers to fill top 6 roles and don’t have two goalies with an .896 save percentage. Dahlen, Balcers, Barabanov have all been pleasant surprises and Meier is playing at a 109p, 50g pace so far.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Emily Kaplan re-iterating that interest is out there from teams, but they want a third team involved to further reduce Kane's cap hit (0:57):

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That seems really dumb to try and get another team to retain even more on Kane. Kane at $3.5 million is a bargain for his ability. If you have a problem with his character, that won't suddenly go away if you have Kane at $3.5 million or Kane at $1.75 million.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
That seems really dumb to try and get another team to retain even more on Kane. Kane at $3.5 million is a bargain for his ability. If you have a problem with his character, that won't suddenly go away if you have Kane at $3.5 million or Kane at $1.75 million.
Easier to buy out at 1.75M if he does want clean up his act

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
No but Kane at 1.75M reduces your risk.
If he doesn’t work out on his new team he can be bought out or buried with minimal cap implications.
At 3.5M he still costs more than 2M on the cap in the minors and probably close to the same on a buyout for 2 of the next 3 years because of the bonuses in his contract.

I’m in the no Kane at any price camp but I can see why many more GMs would be interested in him with double retention.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Trade him for 50%, and the the team that recieves him take him 1 year, then trade him with 50% retention of thatv50% retention + a pick in promise for buying him out after next year, that would be best case. And the third team having him keep him for a try one year, and then buy him out- everybody is winners here, cause the dilutrd salary - the buyout helps his earlier teams.

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Trade him for 50%, and the the team that recieves him take him 1 year, then trade him with 50% retention of thatv50% retention + a pick in promise for buying him out after next year, that would be best case. And the third team having him keep him for a try one year, and then buy him out- everybody is winners here, cause the dilutrd salary - the buyout helps his earlier teams.
hypothetically say he is traded and retained 4 or 5 times. Can the salary be less than the min if its on retained deals?

V13

Score First , Grind Hard , No Mercy
Sep 21, 2005
This guy has too much baggage. If he only had messed up once teams would likely show more interest but he finds a way to make the headlines and find himself in problematic situations every 2 months or so it seems.

At this point Kane is like the Jon Jones or Antonio Brown of the NHL

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Nope, you can only retain twice, max 50% each time. I'm sure it's possible to get a different player below min if their original salary was like 2 million or something along those lines.
so that 2 retention is for the duration of the contract?
If thats the case a Kessel deal to the Leafs will not work since they are still retaining 1.2 from before. At 3.4 we can't afford Kessel.
Essentially for the Leafs to be in on a guy we need him to come in as close to the 2.5 of ritche.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Nope, you can only retain twice, max 50% each time. I'm sure it's possible to get a different player below min if their original salary was like 2 million or something along those lines.
I might be wrong on this, but I thought I remember reading there was a minimum salary that would be allowed to retain on?

I'll try to look it up.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
so that 2 retention is for the duration of the contract?
If thats the case a Kessel deal to the Leafs will not work since they are still retaining 1.2 from before. At 3.4 we can't afford Kessel.
Essentially for the Leafs to be in on a guy we need him to come in as close to the 2.5 of ritche.

Leafs aren't allowed to trade for Kessel. Can't require a player you are retaining on.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
You might be right, perhaps I was thinking of prorated salary for the rest of the year after retention.
I can't find anything from a quick search on the main cba references I look at, so maybe there isn't a limit? There might be some fine print somewhere that I'm missing or glossing over though.

There are limits of how many contracts you can retain on, so I doubt many teams would waste it on a player making close to the buried salary marker.

Not saying they couldn't if it's allowed, but probably wouldn't be the best use of that clause.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Leafs aren't allowed to trade for Kessel. Can't require a player you are retaining on.
I believe they can since it’s been well over a year since he was traded from TOR.

From cap friendly:
“If a team retains salary on a trade, they cannot reacquire that player for one year from the date of the transaction, unless the contract ends prior to one year.”

Reactions: pearljamvs5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad