Rumor: Sharks working on Evander Kane trade, will eat 50%

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
Kane's wife shares video on Instagram showing Kane pointing what looks to be a loaded gun at her, then quickly deletes it.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I was thinking exactly this. The 3rd team feels superfluous. Evander Kane at 3.5mil is a solid deal. I think even coming in at 5 mil would be below market for what he provides on the ice. 30 goal scorer with speed and size. I get the off ice issues, but if you have a good leadership core like San Jose did when they signed him, you have to think that can be mitigated to an extent.

So one will bite at 3.5 - trying to get it down to 1.75 is just unnecessary optimization.

The thing is, Kane is PR poison at a time where his kind of PR can instantly destroy your franchise’s reputation and locker room. No team wants that, no matter how good he is.

KANE needs to start working on his reputation yesterday. If the Sharks want to trade him, they need to work on helping or forcing him into that.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
But it would only be like $1.7M in real money those last two years. Questions is, is $1.7M the right price to purchase a 2nd round pick

Huh? The proposal I responded to has Arizona retaining 35% of Kane’s contract ($2.5m of $7m). With 3.75 years remaining on Kane’s deal that works out to Arizona paying $8.6m real money to Kane and locking up a retention spot for 3.75 years.

$1.75m cash is reasonable for a 2nd round pick. $8.6m is not reasonable for two 2nd round picks. I want at minimum a 1st and a 2nd for that.

That’s without valuing the 3.75 years of locking up one of the three retention slots Arizona has. With Arizona tanking those retention slots are extra valuable to flip players at the trade deadline. Arizona is already in a situation where Kessel and Stralman should have something like 2nd round trade deadline value at 50%, but Arizona has only one retention slot remaining. Arizona also locked up a retention slot long term in the OEL trade.

Those retention slots are currently very valuable to Arizona for at least the next two seasons. Piddling a slot away for 3.75 years should require an egregious payment in return.

Reactions: Ciao

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
They’ve also got two of three retention slots locked up for this season, which would mean they can’t retain at the deadline renting out someone like Kessel. They are retaining on OEL for the next six years so facilitating on Kane would lock up two slots for three years.

Any middle man should charge a pretty penny.

Forgot about OEL...ya I think that puts them realistically out of that market. Kessel without retention will put off a ton of potential suitors.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
The thing is, Kane is PR poison at a time where his kind of PR can instantly destroy your franchise’s reputation and locker room. No team wants that, no matter how good he is.

KANE needs to start working on his reputation yesterday. If the Sharks want to trade him, they need to work on helping or forcing him into that.
There is nothing the Sharks or Kane can do to repair his reputation in the short term before he is traded. There isn’t enough time. He can only hope to redeem himself by going to another team and playing out the rest of his contract as a model teammate and citizen. He needs to do that to have any chance of getting another contract. Given his financial situation he is going to want to keep playing if he can.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Kane has issues but I wouldn’t put too much stock in anything coming from his ex-wife. The judge order her to get evaluated and gave Kane custody of their daughter.
I can't separate the hockey tweet from the other junk. I was only posting about how he said he wasn't going to be playing for the Cuda.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Kane has issues but I wouldn’t put too much stock in anything coming from his ex-wife. The judge order her to get evaluated and gave Kane custody of their daughter.

Kane requested a common custody battle tactic in requesting a 730, psyche evaluation. Evander Kane Asks Judge To Order Ex-Wife To Take A Mental Exam To Help Determine Custody Arrangement For Their Daughter - LEAGUE OF JUSTICEThe judge likely granted the request since Kanes ex made the betting allegation on instagram which is grounds enough for a psyche evaluation.

I also wouldn’t put much into the psyche evaluation either. Since a drunk guy waving a gun around in the direction of his wife is a sound mental state to take care of a child and all…

Last edited:
Reactions: FedorTyutin

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I really don’t understand how there’s no mechanism for voiding a contract for behavior detrimental to the team.
Needs to be convicted of something. The NHL is a fairly strong PA, and since something like that could be so loosely interpreted no chance it ever happens. The NHL could offer a cap floor of 80 million and no upper cap, and it might not be approved, because with something like that, no contract is truly guaranteed.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Honestly even with the baggage, I think Kane at $3.5 million is worth the gamble.

Guess we will see what the interest is and what team/s are willing to take it on. If the Sharks are willing to eat up that much it's clear they want nothing to do with him. I personally think he should never play in the league again. That would be the ultimate life lesson.

Reactions: o6mopok

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Kane requested a common custody battle tactic in requesting a 730, psyche evaluation. Evander Kane Asks Judge To Order Ex-Wife To Take A Mental Exam To Help Determine Custody Arrangement For Their Daughter - LEAGUE OF JUSTICEThe judge likely granted the request since Kanes ex made the betting allegation on instagram which is grounds enough for a psyche evaluation. Kane also has the resources for good lawyers while his unemployed ex, does not.

I also wouldn’t put much into the psyche evaluation either. Since a drunk guy waving a gun around in the direction of his wife is a sound mental state to take care of a child and all…

Wut? She owns her own business and part of the proceedings are to sever herself from his debt in divorce

Reactions: CartographerNo611

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I really don’t understand how there’s no mechanism for voiding a contract for behavior detrimental to the team.

If the players agreed to a CBA that let teams void their contracts for whatever the team deems "detrimental conduct," it gives teams leeway to drum up shady reasons for voiding players' contracts instead of buying them out. The players would never sign a CBA that didn't outline extremely specific reasons and circumstances for a contract to be voided.

Reactions: FedorTyutin

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
To Arizona:

SJ 2023 2nd round
Bos 2022 2nd round
Evander Kane 2.5 million contract space

To Bos

Evander Kane 2.5 million

To SJ

Jake Debrusk
Evander Kane 2 million contract space

Boston gives Debrusk a new start, spends a 2nd, gets 3 years of Kane at 2.5 million
Arizona gets 2 more 2nd rounders to add to the collection
SJ gets a winger who can play now, as well as only 2 million retained on Kane for the contract length

Why is Boston paying to get Kane?

Have zero intrest

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Would be nice to have depth outside of the first line?

Sharks are begging teams to take Kane, no need to pay DeBrusk+ for him.
Someone else gets him? Good.

There’s other players in the league also than just Kane.
Who’s a complete nightmare

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad