Rumor: Sharks working on Evander Kane trade, will eat 50%

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
To Arizona:

SJ 2023 2nd round
Bos 2022 2nd round
Evander Kane 2.5 million contract space

To Bos

Evander Kane 2.5 million

To SJ

Jake Debrusk
Evander Kane 2 million contract space

Boston gives Debrusk a new start, spends a 2nd, gets 3 years of Kane at 2.5 million
Arizona gets 2 more 2nd rounders to add to the collection
SJ gets a winger who can play now, as well as only 2 million retained on Kane for the contract length

arizona already has 2 retentions. Max is 3.

2 2doesnt get you about $2.5M per for 3+ yrs. it will cost you a lot more.

Reactions: Heldig

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
To SJS:
Phil Kessel

To ARI:
Evander Kane
Ozzy Wiesblatt
——

To VAN:
Evander Kane (50%)

To ARI:
Danila Klimovich
That's $10M+ for a recent 2nd round pick.

Unless Klimovich is your son, I'd imagine you could do better.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
It's also Wiesblatt. Kessel doesn't have that value on his own. It seems to me that SJS is the one not giving up enough value, rather than VAN. Not sure Kane (even at 50%) justifies a whole lot more than Klimovich.

Canucks are high on Klimo and had him in the 1st round of their draft board.

They arent moving him for Kane.

Pearson for Kane 50% is probably the offer if Canucks made one

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Can you do double retention?
So a deal where SJ ships him to Van @50% then Van ships him to the Leafs @1.75
so the Leafs would send assets to SJ and to Van
Could be wrong but I think the max is 50% of the aav but maybe that changed

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
For me, would need to be contingencies in place.

Kane at 50%
Plus a 1st rounder
Plus a conditional 2nd rounder

If he plays 55+ games each of the next 2 seasons then there is no 2nd rounder

If he plays less (assuming he gets waived or is a locker room issue) then team acquires a 2nd.

the attached 1st is for the risk
What are you trading for that? Or in this scenario is Van just getting Kane and picks for nothing?

Reactions: Nucker42

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Each team can retain a max of 50%, but 2 teams can retain on the same player. So team 1 retains 50% and trades the player to team 2. Team 2 retains 50% of 50% and trades him to team 3. Team 1 ends up with 50% and teams 2 and 3 end up with 25% each.

Reactions: Dache

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

You can double-retain to get to 75% retained.

The problem is -- he still has 3 full years left on his contract... so a team is going to be signing up for a near $2m cap hit just to "help out".

It's one thing when a team like SJ does it to facilitate a Foligno trade (who was on an expiring contract) -- cap space that they're not going to use and a little bit of cash for a bonus pick. It's another to ask a team to commit to a 3-year cap penalty.

Reactions: Dache

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
You can double-retain to get to 75% retained.

The problem is -- he still has 3 full years left on his contract... so a team is going to be signing up for a near $2m cap hit just to "help out".

It's one thing when a team like SJ does it to facilitate a Foligno trade (who was on an expiring contract) -- cap space that they're not going to use and a little bit of cash for a bonus pick. It's another to ask a team to commit to a 3-year cap penalty.
It also gobbles up a retention spot for a long time.

Not a good idea.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
What are you trading for that? Or in this scenario is Van just getting Kane and picks for nothing?
Yes. Major cancer in the locker room. First step would be to steer clear, second step is if you’re forced to acquire him only do it with you’re getting picks.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Yes. Major cancer in the locker room. First step would be to steer clear, second step is if you’re forced to acquire him only do it with you’re getting picks.
I get what you’re saying, but they can buy him out or just sit him if need be rather than retain 50% and pay a 1st and 2nd to have a divisional team have him to play against. He’s not a bad player, just a bad person. Does not have negative value at 3.75 mil. If you don’t want him in the locker room that’s 100% understandable, I know I don’t. But no one is getting picks attached, plus 50% retention in return for future considerations

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
It also allows a team like Arizona to reach the cap floor without having to buy free agents during their "rebuild" years.
It's an expensive way to do that. In addition to carrying the cap hit, they would have to pay a proportionate share of his salary. That would likely come to $5-million more or less over the life of the contract, ànd it seems like a lot of moola for two second-round picks.

Especially for a franchise flush with upcoming draft picks.

If all they want is to eat up cap space, then maybe they could acquire a player on LTIR who is insured and never likely to play again. Would Shae Weber fill the bill? If not, somebody would surely pay something to dump an insured LTIR contract just to clear the cap space. There is a market for that, too.

Cap space has value that I think exceeds what's offered here.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I get what you’re saying, but they can buy him out or just sit him if need be rather than retain 50% and pay a 1st and 2nd to have a divisional team have him to play against. He’s not a bad player, just a bad person. Does not have negative value at 3.75 mil. If you don’t want him in the locker room that’s 100% understandable, I know I don’t. But no one is getting picks attached, plus 50% retention in return for future considerations
Sure looks like Sharks' buyout, then, to me -- when the time rolls around.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Kane going to Vancouver would be an absolute f***ing disaster. I think they will/should have some takers at $3.5M (that's extremely valuable), but you've already got reports coming out of there about players not getting along and dealing with a locker room cancer. The last place you want to have this guy show up, is a team with an already fractured dressing room.

He needs to go somewhere he can:
1 - keep his head down and focus on just playing the game (so probably not Canada)
2 - be around a lot of strong characters who mitigate some of his attitude issues. He's not going to change at this point in his life, but maybe they can slow him down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad