Rumor: Sharks working on Evander Kane trade, will eat 50%

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Looks like the Sharks will need to eat more than 50% of Kane's contract to dump him. I think with 4 years remaining, they would need to take on at least $4 million a year and then I would think a team might take a chance on him (i.e. Sabres, Coyotes?). He might end up be waived again as he sounds like a cancer in the locker room, but it might be worth the risk if you can get at least 1 good year from him. He would be interesting on the Ducks but I worry he could be a bad influence for our prospects. It would just be very enjoyable if he scored on the Sharks whenever we played haha.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Looks like the Sharks will need to eat more than 50% of Kane's contract to dump him. I think with 4 years remaining, they would need to take on at least $4 million a year and then I would think a team might take a chance on him (i.e. Sabres, Coyotes?). He might end up be waived again as he sounds like a cancer in the locker room, but it might be worth the risk if you can get at least 1 good year from him. He would be interesting on the Ducks but I worry he could be a bad influence for our prospects. It would just be very enjoyable if he scored on the Sharks whenever we played haha.

except they cannot

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
In a trade with a third team they can

The sharks would still only be eating $3.5M. The third team would be on the hook for anything additional. The sharks can pay a sweetener or take a bad contract back, but they cannot retain more than 50%.

At what point does offseason buy out make more sense?

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
The sharks would still only be eating $3.5M. The third team would be on the hook for anything additional. The sharks can pay a sweetener or take a bad contract back, but they cannot retain more than 50%.

At what point does offseason buy out make more sense?
Sure, but the point stands that the team getting Kane would be getting him at a significantly lower cap.

Sharks just bought out Martin Jones, they don't want another big chunk of dead cap taking up space.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Sure, but the point stands that the team getting Kane would be getting him at a significantly lower cap.

Sharks just bought out Martin Jones, they don't want another big chunk of dead cap taking up space.

The point was, "Looks like the Sharks will need to eat more than 50% of his salary to dump him".

Reactions: BlueSeal

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
If SJ is willing to give him away at 50% retention then some team with balls should def be on board with a 3 way trade if it gets Kane at 25% of his cap hit. He has 3.75 years at 7m AAV, if you get him at 25% that's 1.75m. That's insane based on what he can do on the ice.

Basically: Team A gives gives ARZ a 2nd rounder for 25% retention, SJ retains 50% and takes nothing back. That's a huge potential windfall if Kane gets his head on straight.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
In a trade with a third team they can

Yeah but that's not the Sharks, that's the third team. You can debate on who needs that to get the deal done. Does SJ need to find a third party to do the 50% or does the team that wants Kane need to find the 3rd team to help facilitate? Tough call.

Honestly, Kane at $3.5mil is a pretty attractive asset. I don't think they need to get him to $1.75mil to move him.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Yeah but that's not the Sharks, that's the third team. You can debate on who needs that to get the deal done. Does SJ need to find a third party to do the 50% or does the team that wants Kane need to find the 3rd team to help facilitate? Tough call.

Honestly, Kane at $3.5mil is a pretty attractive asset. I don't think they need to get him to $1.75mil to move him.

I was thinking exactly this. The 3rd team feels superfluous. Evander Kane at 3.5mil is a solid deal. I think even coming in at 5 mil would be below market for what he provides on the ice. 30 goal scorer with speed and size. I get the off ice issues, but if you have a good leadership core like San Jose did when they signed him, you have to think that can be mitigated to an extent.

So one will bite at 3.5 - trying to get it down to 1.75 is just unnecessary optimization.

Reactions: YP44

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
You can double-retain to get to 75% retained.

The problem is -- he still has 3 full years left on his contract... so a team is going to be signing up for a near $2m cap hit just to "help out".

It's one thing when a team like SJ does it to facilitate a Foligno trade (who was on an expiring contract) -- cap space that they're not going to use and a little bit of cash for a bonus pick. It's another to ask a team to commit to a 3-year cap penalty.
Absolutely should ask for the Marleau Price to eat a quarter of Kane's salary.

Jan 21, 2018
Why didn’t Montreal get Bergevin to trade for Kane before they fired him? They clearly prioritized skill over character given their most recent 1st round pick, this seems like a missed opportunity for them.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Then he sits in the AHL or at home.
SJ doesn’t need the cap space. It’s not like they’re 3.5 mil in cap room from being a contender the next three years.
SJ’s first is a whole lot more important to success in the future than Kane’s cap space.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
To Arizona:

SJ 2023 2nd round
Bos 2022 2nd round
Evander Kane 2.5 million contract space

To Bos

Evander Kane 2.5 million

To SJ

Jake Debrusk
Evander Kane 2 million contract space

Boston gives Debrusk a new start, spends a 2nd, gets 3 years of Kane at 2.5 million
Arizona gets 2 more 2nd rounders to add to the collection
SJ gets a winger who can play now, as well as only 2 million retained on Kane for the contract length

I wouldn't do that if I'm Arizona. Not enough to tie up a retention spot for 3.5 seasons.

Reactions: Ciao

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
If SJ is willing to give him away at 50% retention then some team with balls should def be on board with a 3 way trade if it gets Kane at 25% of his cap hit. He has 3.75 years at 7m AAV, if you get him at 25% that's 1.75m. That's insane based on what he can do on the ice.

Basically: Team A gives gives ARZ a 2nd rounder for 25% retention, SJ retains 50% and takes nothing back. That's a huge potential windfall if Kane gets his head on straight.

Any team retaining 25% is locking up a slot for 3.5 years. And paying $6m in salary to Kane.

That's 1st round pick value IMO.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Then he sits in the AHL or at home.
SJ doesn’t need the cap space. It’s not like they’re 3.5 mil in cap room from being a contender the next three years.
SJ’s first is a whole lot more important to success in the future than Kane’s cap space.
From Kane's destination. San Jose should be happy to give him away at 50%.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I wouldn't do that if I'm Arizona. Not enough to tie up a retention spot for 3.5 seasons.

But it would only be like $1.7M in real money those last two years. Questions is, is $1.7M the right price to purchase a 2nd round pick

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

I'd think it would be more than that.

Marleau's cap hit ($6.25m) was digested all in one season. The Hurricanes reasonably knew their plans for the coming season, knew that they were unlikely to approach the cap, so could do it without a lot of pain.

25% of Kane's cap hit (in aggregate) is around the same $6.25m ($1.75m x 3 + whatever left of this year), but it's a hit that will live well beyond the "plannable" future for most teams.

Arizona strikes me as the only potential team given their active tanking, but it's not like they're short on picks here. They've got 3 first rounders this year, 5 second rounders, and extra picks extending all the way to 2024. They took on a bunch of troublesome contracts for this year, but they've basically got a clean slate with some good deals for next year.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I'd think it would be more than that.

Marleau's cap hit ($6.25m) was digested all in one season. The Hurricanes reasonably knew their plans for the coming season, knew that they were unlikely to approach the cap, so could do it without a lot of pain.

25% of Kane's cap hit (in aggregate) is around the same $6.25m ($1.75m x 3 + whatever left of this year), but it's a hit that will live well beyond the "plannable" future for most teams.

Arizona strikes me as the only potential team given their active tanking, but it's not like they're short on picks here. They've got 3 first rounders this year, 5 second rounders, and extra picks extending all the way to 2024. They took on a bunch of troublesome contracts for this year, but they've basically got a clean slate with some good deals for next year.
They’ve also got two of three retention slots locked up for this season, which would mean they can’t retain at the deadline renting out someone like Kessel. They are retaining on OEL for the next six years so facilitating on Kane would lock up two slots for three years.

Any middle man should charge a pretty penny.

Reactions: mouser

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Considering Kane's background and the baggage he brings...(his own team mates dont want him on the team), i would think that he carries negative value.
at 50% i'd take him but SJ would have to eat a contract of similar length like Pearson. Kane has an extra year but meh.
Kane's from Vanocuver. Maybe if he was back home (and further from Vegas) he'd be set up for a reset...a life reset. The Canucks are a tire-fire, a real mess... they might as well try something drastic like that... things cant get much worse.
If SJ feel's that Kane carries some actual market value then i'd have no problem walking away from that deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad