Sharks with the 1st overall

MrCreamm

Nov 16, 2023
Best player available; however, I will say that, relative to let’s say the last 4 drafts, Schaefer is better amongst recent defenceman (even number 1 I would say) than Hagens or Misa rank amongst recent forwards; granted, an elite 2C or above average 1C (which I think those two project to) is probably worth more to most teams than a top pairing D man, but relative to recent players in the recent drafts, I think Schaefer is the best player available, and would be my pick, especially given San Jose’s centre situation
San Jose is obviously in an ideal situation with the next two drafts. I'm not 100% sure I think Schaefer is BPA just yet but I think he'll emerge as more of a contender as the season goes on and could very easily be BPA. Dickinson while good, does not have the talent that Schaefer has, I think Dickinson will probably be a top 4 dman but his ceiling is closer to that then top pairing dman or #1. Due to his impressive physical attributes I think it could be possible but not guaranteed.

I think Schaefer has #1 dman potential who can effectivly QB a quarterback and play PK while Hagens has impressive qualities I think his size and attributes don't make him a slam dunk #1OA that was assumed before September.

Hagens is not Celebrini level in my opinion and even if someone wants to make the case he has the same or greater offensive talent which I don't agree with, Celebrinis physicality is impressive for a 18 year old in the NHL and he will continue to use that to his strength as he gets stronger. So I can see why the Sharks would prefer Schaefer or Misa if they had #1OA, I think its harder for an organization to pick a winger 1 OA unless they are heads and shoulders above their competition like Lafreniere.

If for some hypothetical reason a different team didn't pick Hagens 1OA I think becomes a lot more likely they could pick Martone over him but I don't think that is too likely for them to pick a winger over a possible 1C or 1D.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Don't get complicated. It's the draft not UFA. Just take the best player. (James Hagens)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad