Sharks with the 1st overall

MrCreamm

Nov 16, 2023
Best player available; however, I will say that, relative to let’s say the last 4 drafts, Schaefer is better amongst recent defenceman (even number 1 I would say) than Hagens or Misa rank amongst recent forwards; granted, an elite 2C or above average 1C (which I think those two project to) is probably worth more to most teams than a top pairing D man, but relative to recent players in the recent drafts, I think Schaefer is the best player available, and would be my pick, especially given San Jose’s centre situation
San Jose is obviously in an ideal situation with the next two drafts. I'm not 100% sure I think Schaefer is BPA just yet but I think he'll emerge as more of a contender as the season goes on and could very easily be BPA. Dickinson while good, does not have the talent that Schaefer has, I think Dickinson will probably be a top 4 dman but his ceiling is closer to that then top pairing dman or #1. Due to his impressive physical attributes I think it could be possible but not guaranteed.

I think Schaefer has #1 dman potential who can effectivly QB a quarterback and play PK while Hagens has impressive qualities I think his size and attributes don't make him a slam dunk #1OA that was assumed before September.

Hagens is not Celebrini level in my opinion and even if someone wants to make the case he has the same or greater offensive talent which I don't agree with, Celebrinis physicality is impressive for a 18 year old in the NHL and he will continue to use that to his strength as he gets stronger. So I can see why the Sharks would prefer Schaefer or Misa if they had #1OA, I think its harder for an organization to pick a winger 1 OA unless they are heads and shoulders above their competition like Lafreniere.

If for some hypothetical reason a different team didn't pick Hagens 1OA I think becomes a lot more likely they could pick Martone over him but I don't think that is too likely for them to pick a winger over a possible 1C or 1D.

Reactions: Mathieukferland

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
San Jose is obviously in an ideal situation with the next two drafts. I'm not 100% sure I think Schaefer is BPA just yet but I think he'll emerge as more of a contender as the season goes on and could very easily be BPA. Dickinson while good, does not have the talent that Schaefer has, I think Dickinson will probably be a top 4 dman but his ceiling is closer to that then top pairing dman or #1. Due to his impressive physical attributes I think it could be possible but not guaranteed.

I think Schaefer has #1 dman potential who can effectivly QB a quarterback and play PK while Hagens has impressive qualities I think his size and attributes don't make him a slam dunk #1OA that was assumed before September.

Hagens is not Celebrini level in my opinion and even if someone wants to make the case he has the same or greater offensive talent which I don't agree with, Celebrinis physicality is impressive for a 18 year old in the NHL and he will continue to use that to his strength as he gets stronger. So I can see why the Sharks would prefer Schaefer or Misa if they had #1OA, I think its harder for an organization to pick a winger 1 OA unless they are heads and shoulders above their competition like Lafreniere.

If for some hypothetical reason a different team didn't pick Hagens 1OA I think becomes a lot more likely they could pick Martone over him but I don't think that is too likely for them to pick a winger over a possible 1C or 1D.
You realize that Celebrini is somewhere between 1/2 an inch and 1 full inch taller than Hagens according to the latest measurements we have on these two players. Hagens is a little undersized, but so is Celebrini. If Hagens doesn’t have the size to be a slam dunk 1OA and play in all situations, it becomes a little hard to argue that Celebrini does.

MrCreamm

Nov 16, 2023
You realize that Celebrini is somewhere between 1/2 an inch and 1 full inch taller than Hagens according to the latest measurements we have on these two players. Hagens is a little undersized, but so is Celebrini. If Hagens doesn’t have the size to be a slam dunk 1OA and play in all situations, it becomes a little hard to argue that Celebrini does.
If that's the case it'll come down to how much weight Hagens can put on as Celebrini is 190lbs and Hagens is 176lbs.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
When asked directly whether the Sharks interviewed Michkov, Grier responded that they interviewed all the Russian players they considered. I always took that to mean they didn't interview Michkov (and I got the sense they didn't interview him because he or his reps hinted/or outright stated he didn't want to be considered). Why not just say yes (if you did). If you didn't (particularly as a new GM with your first top 5 pick, that's moronic).

Grier's been pretty straight up with the media, the only reason to play coy is if it can help confuse team's on who you want, but saying 'yes, we interviewed him, and 40 other guys for our first three picks), we really like the top ~x in this draft, and were impressed by Michkov'. Even if you love the three big centers, and hate Mickov, nothing wrong with trying to incentivise Montreal, Philly, or Washignton to throw the earth at the teams ahead of you to try and grab the guy you don't want.

I admit it's fairly opaque, but even around the 2024 draft, sharks beat writer Sheng Peng tried to find out whether he was considered and didn't get a straight answer.

I'd love to get a different perspective though. While I liked (and expected) Smith, I wanted Michkov. If you'd be willing, do you mind pointing me in the direction of the sources saying he was open to going anywhere (particularly before the draft, but post-draft is okay too)?
1-11-00
- If Arizona would pick you, what you would do?
- If they would picked me, I would play for them and would prove everything I need.
I would play for any team.

50-23
He said that he had meetings with every team.

There were different narratives but teams were bold to call him lazy or player with bad character or weak defensively or call up the situation with his deal but nor mtl nor sharks said that he rejected to play for them. Because he didn't. Other stuff looks silly now too.

Reason why Sharks should draft Hagens. Imagine Michkov on the wing with Celebrini. Imagine Demidov on the wing with Bedard. Or on the wing with Carlsson. Drafting for needs is really not good decision. Of course if someone see potential of Quinn Hughes/Makar/Heiskanen in some defenseman from this draft - its okay to draft them, but when gm see "strong top 4" like it was with Hughes and Reinbacher than its really bad decision.

Sharks can sign defenseman from the market, they can trade him because with Celebrini, Hagens, Smith and Musty they can trade some other young forward. Or trade some other player for the first round pick and pick defenseman later. Forwards core is great but Ducks have may be even better core so its not like Sharks should not worry about competition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad