Sharks Roster Discussion Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Hertl won't be a #1 center so we should trade him. Makes sense. No one is worth keeping unless they have a chance to become a #1 center.

I think Hertl + could be center piece in one of a chucky or landeskog trades.

+ some of braun, tierney, meier, 1st etc. we could make a couple deals work. I would like to see Kovy, if thornton and marleau are here.

One of these trades for younger player would be ideal

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I would be willing to bet that Galchenyuk could be gotten without moving Hertl, especially considering who their GM is. Duchene would require Hertl, especially since we don't have high end D prospects.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I want to see Kovy either way. If we bring back Thornton and/or Marleau it'll give us a nice boost towards Cup contention.

If we don't retain either of them I want Kovy for the sheer entertainment value of having him on our team.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
We can and should bring back Thornton and Marleau and add Kovalchuk. Compared to Duchene or Galchenyuk trades, it will cost us zero assets beyond whatever minimal piece goes to NJ for Kovy.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
I would be willing to bet that Galchenyuk could be gotten without moving Hertl, especially considering who their GM is. Duchene would require Hertl, especially since we don't have high end D prospects.

which i would be ok with.

if we could get duchene and one of landy/chucky

while moving a combination of hertl, braun, tierney, 1st possibly meier.

Sign me up

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
We can and should bring back Thornton and Marleau and add Kovalchuk. Compared to Duchene or Galchenyuk trades, it will cost us zero assets beyond whatever minimal piece goes to NJ for Kovy.

This would be what I'd like to see the most. Again because it keeps us competitive (for nothing more than $$$) and because I just love the idea of seeing JT/Patty/Kovy on a line together at some point. I don't know why but that makes me laugh just thinking about it.

I'm probably one of the only people out there who owns a Kovalchuk Shirsey from his days with the Thrashers.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

That is my exact thought as well. Try to get Galchenyuk as he will be cheaper. He may or may not pan out as a #1C but between Hertl, Galchenyuk and Couture we will be set at that position. Hell, in an ideal scenario get Galchenyuk without giving up Hertl would mean we could still deal Hertl for a deal around Duchene (if we chose to do so).

Preferably, I would love if we could have Couture, Hertl, Galchenyuk down the middle. If Thornton comes back, put Galchenyuk on his wing (where he does better anyway) till he retires. Or put him on Couture's wing. Either way .. we have the C's to use Galchenyuk as a winger right away.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I mean...do you even want to keep Hertl when he's basically guaranteed a knee injury every other year.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
My hope is that Vegas DOES NOT pick one of our D-men. I know that Montreal need a D-man since they traded Beaulieu. Maybe we could trade Dillon++ or Braun+ for something around Galchenyuk.

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
My hope is that Vegas DOES NOT pick one of our D-men. I know that Montreal need a D-man since they traded Beaulieu. Maybe we could trade Dillon++ or Braun+ for something around Galchenyuk.

I think we'd have to add something pretty significant to Dillon or Braun in order to get Galchenyuk, and even then I don't think we really have the right pieces.

Montreal will want a young top-4 defenseman in any deal involving Galchenyuk. Dillon is relatively young but he's not a top-4 guy. Braun is too old. I'd love to get Galchenyuk but I don't think we can offer Montreal what they need. We're not good trading partners.

Duchene would be my top target this summer. He's a proven 1C in the prime of his career. I love Hertl, he may even be my favorite current Shark, but I'd deal him in an instant for Duchene. I'd add our 1st and a prospect too. I think he's a better target for us than Galchenyuk, and he's probably a more realistic option as well.

What do you guys think we'd have to add to Hertl + 1st to land Duchene? Would it have to be Meier, or would Colorado want a guy like Roy?

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

I would like to bring back Thornton and Marleau, get Kovalchuk from NJ and trade for Galchenyuk if possible. I am not opposed to the idea of trading Hertl for Duchene but I think our depth takes a hit if we lose Hertl.

That is my exact thought as well. Try to get Galchenyuk as he will be cheaper. He may or may not pan out as a #1C but between Hertl, Galchenyuk and Couture we will be set at that position. Hell, in an ideal scenario get Galchenyuk without giving up Hertl would mean we could still deal Hertl for a deal around Duchene (if we chose to do so).

Preferably, I would love if we could have Couture, Hertl, Galchenyuk down the middle. If Thornton comes back, put Galchenyuk on his wing (where he does better anyway) till he retires. Or put him on Couture's wing. Either way .. we have the C's to use Galchenyuk as a winger right away.

I think the way the Sharks run their system would be more appeasing to Galchenyuk even if he lines up at the wing, because the forwards always say they're basically all playing center. Their positions are interchangeable. If Galchenyuk lines up next to Hertl or Couture or even Thornton it's a good place to learn.

I mean...do you even want to keep Hertl when he's basically guaranteed a knee injury every other year.

I love Hertl, and I would like to keep him but I'll always worry about his knees. If he never got hurt he might be our #1 C now.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010

We cant afford to lose both Dillion expansion and braun through trade without at least 1 replacement.

but if they were to select a forward that would be perfect.

we have around 17 million in cap space.

I believe that is enough to sign joe,patty, kovy.

if you figure galchenyuk is gonna get around 5mill.

we move braun, ward pick etc to do so. tierney is a confusing one because I would have rather left him unprotected to get carpenter to play 4c for cheap.

but it would be possible under the cap to run a combo of

kovy, joe,joe
patty couture donskoi
chucky, hertl, hansen
meier carpenter karlsson

vlasic heed
burns martin
dillion schlemko

obviously probably losing a d but this is pip dream.

boedker would be ideal pick for Las Vegas although not happening without an add, but it would give us more flexibility with the roster and cap. although he could still fit with what I have listed.

we could open enough cap for galchenyuk by moving ward braun.

if you can move hertl+ for duchene do it. obviously all these things are not happening.

but cap wise it is there for kovy, galchenyuk etc while moving a few pieces.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I would like to bring back Thornton and Marleau, get Kovalchuk from NJ and trade for Galchenyuk if possible. I am not opposed to the idea of trading Hertl for Duchene but I think our depth takes a hit if we lose Hertl.

I think the way the Sharks run their system would be more appeasing to Galchenyuk even if he lines up at the wing, because the forwards always say they're basically all playing center. Their positions are interchangeable. If Galchenyuk lines up next to Hertl or Couture or even Thornton it's a good place to learn.

I love Hertl, and I would like to keep him but I'll always worry about his knees. If he never got hurt he might be our #1 C now.

I wouldn't really be worried about it if it didn't happen the 2nd time...then it happened a 3rd time.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Landeskog is getting hugely overrated I feel like. 2016-2017 Marleau is a better player right now IMO. They're at least comparable. Landeskog has never been as good as he was as a rookie and I don't see anything more than a solid #2LW. I think he'll return much more in a trade than he's worth, and I don't want the Sharks to be the team making that overpayment.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Landeskog is getting hugely overrated I feel like. 2016-2017 Marleau is a better player right now IMO. They're at least comparable. Landeskog has never been as good as he was as a rookie and I don't see anything more than a solid #2LW. I think he'll return much more in a trade than he's worth, and I don't want the Sharks to be the team making that overpayment.

Toews like intangibles >>>> points and skills and stuff.

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco

Agreed. I like Landeskog just fine as a two-way, second-line winger but he is massively overrated and will cost way too much in a trade.

Give me Duchene over him any day.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
It's nice to rosterbait and all, but I think we are thinking about this the wrong way. It's not just about "how much better can we make our team" it's about, is that team going to beat the Penguins. Is this team fast enough AND skilled enough to beat the Penguins, because right now I am not seeing that roster.

Realistically, any roster that includes Joe Thornton, Joe Pavelski, and Logan Couture as half of the top 6 is not, in my opinion, going to have a chance. We got our ***** handed to us, we were damn lucky to even get it to 6 games. Primarily because they literally skated around us like we were standing still.

If it were me, I would cut bait at this point. Let Joe walk, trade Pavelski to a team needing a character guy with high skill, and bring in skilled high speed top-6 guys. Sure, losing our #1 center is a death sentence as well, but we are losing him either way, and spending a bunch of assets to build a great team that still loses to the Penguins really doesn't do much for me.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
It's nice to rosterbait and all, but I think we are thinking about this the wrong way. It's not just about "how much better can we make our team" it's about, is that team going to beat the Penguins. Is this team fast enough AND skilled enough to beat the Penguins, because right now I am not seeing that roster.

Realistically, any roster that includes Joe Thornton, Joe Pavelski, and Logan Couture as half of the top 6 is not, in my opinion, going to have a chance. We got our ***** handed to us, we were damn lucky to even get it to 6 games. Primarily because they literally skated around us like we were standing still.

If it were me, I would cut bait at this point. Let Joe walk, trade Pavelski to a team needing a character guy with high skill, and bring in skilled high speed top-6 guys. Sure, losing our #1 center is a death sentence as well, but we are losing him either way, and spending a bunch of assets to build a great team that still loses to the Penguins really doesn't do much for me.

Pittsburgh isn't going to make a 3rd straight Cup Final. They were damn lucky to get past Washington this year.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Pittsburgh isn't going to make a 3rd straight Cup Final. They were damn lucky to get past Washington this year.

The Penguins can't have worse injury luck, can they? And Washington might lose Schmidt and at least one of Oshie and Shattenkirk. And they still ice Brooks Orpik. I'd say that the Penguins are the favorite again out of the East.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
The Penguins can't have worse injury luck, can they? And Washington might lose Schmidt and at least one of Oshie and Shattenkirk. And they still ice Brooks Orpik. I'd say that the Penguins are the favorite again out of the East.

Crosby could easily get a concussion that keeps him out for an extended period this time. The blueline is still extremely vulnerable to a Letang injury, which seems to happen pretty much every year. But more importantly the bottom six won't be as good with Cullen retiring and Bonino being a UFA. That bottom six is what killed us. I think Tampa comes out of the East, although that Drouin trade certainly hurts their case. Toronto could surprise too if they add a top-pairing defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad