Sharks Roster Discussion Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
That Incarcerated Bob moron has literally gotten more trade rumors right than Eklund.

That guy is terrible, doesn't even try to put in any effort and idiots still listen to him. Eklund at least puts out some crappy content. I have no idea why either are popular.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
That guy is terrible, doesn't even try to put in any effort and idiots still listen to him. Eklund at least puts out some crappy content. I have no idea why either are popular.

True, but he did call Hall to NJ and Brassard to OTT last year. Dumb luck? Maybe. But I can't think of a single trade Eklund has called ahead of time.

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
Eklund does have a terrible track record, so yes those should be taken with a HUGE grain of salt. I recall he's actually broken a few trades/signings accurately in the past couple of years though.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I'd be very down for Landy. Big, physical, speedy winger who is a proven 20+ goal scorer. Also has a very sweet turnover ratio.

Put him next to the joes, I think he fits nicely there.

Damn you eklund, don't get my hopes up!

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I was more lining up the 27 year old top 4 defenseman with the 1st rounder, but I can see how that could be overlooked when Pominville's name is involved.

Ask yourself, why do we need a 27 year old defensive top-4 D? We're drowning in them. We have defensive depth out the wazoo.

Ask yourself, why are we trading a forward that we literally traded a top-3 prospect for mere months ago?

Ask yourself, why did you go out of your way to assure us that Pomminville is an upgrade on Hansen, when the same argument could be made about Martin being an upgrade on Scandella?

Ask yourself why a team with precious few high-end prospects is giving up a solid mid-1st round pick?

If you think about those things, I think you'll arrive at the reason for our scorn.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Anyone else get the feeling that Wilson is going to pull off a big trade or 2 on draft night? Not talking with Vegas to take one of our older forwards, but for someone big we haven't been linked with. I also have a feeling we are moving up big time in the draft.

Yes, i posted that a few pages back! glad to read that someone else gets that feeling these days!

Jul 10, 2010
True, but he did call Hall to NJ and Brassard to OTT last year. Dumb luck? Maybe. But I can't think of a single trade Eklund has called ahead of time.

The only ones that pop into my head were the Carter/Richards deals. everyone thought he was nuts when he said they werent done after the first trade and made the typical eklund LOL comments and then boom. He also knew the flyers were getting bryz IIRC

Cliffs: legit flyers sources. everything else not flyers related is 99% BS

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Anyone else get the feeling that Wilson is going to pull off a big trade or 2 on draft night? Not talking with Vegas to take one of our older forwards, but for someone big we haven't been linked with. I also have a feeling we are moving up big time in the draft.

Big trade at the draft possibly.

Moving up big time I certainly hope not, no one is worth it this year for the assets we would have to give to move up that much.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
If dw pulled off keeping schlemko, trading braun, tierney, picks whatever else and landed landy and galchenyuk, id say wed be looking pretty strong.

Jumbo marleau contracts will tell a lot. Have a feeling dw offered them less than theyd like, or 1 year deals. Take it or leave it. Just basing off of some of DWs quotes on the matter.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
If dw pulled off keeping schlemko, trading braun, tierney, picks whatever else and landed landy and galchenyuk, id say wed be looking pretty strong.

Jumbo marleau contracts will tell a lot. Have a feeling dw offered them less than theyd like, or 1 year deals. Take it or leave it. Just basing off of some of DWs quotes on the matter.

Yah too me it appeared like DW was pretty ambivalent about the two of them coming back and is prepared that they may choose to not do so. But then again, not really telling us anything during his interviews is kind of his speciality.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Losing Thornton and Marleau by only offering them one-year deals would be a gigantic misstep if the plan isn't to tear it down and do a full rebuild (which doesn't seem in the cards). We have more than enough cap space and we need both players to continue contending.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Losing Thornton and Marleau by only offering them one-year deals would be a gigantic misstep if the plan isn't to tear it down and do a full rebuild (which doesn't seem in the cards). We have more than enough cap space and we need both players to continue contending.

Depends on the moves DW is going after. May not be a 1 year deal but it could be 2 years with a big paycut.

I mean if he went hard after duchene, chuck and neal or sonething.

Fully spitballing though.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Depends on the moves DW is going after. May not be a 1 year deal but it could be 2 years with a big paycut.

I mean if he went hard after duchene, chuck and neal or sonething.

Fully spitballing though.

Even if he could somehow land those players they would obviously cost significant assets while Thornton and Marleau can be retained for nothing beyond cap space.

My guess is Thornton will be re-signed and Marleau will be replaced by Kovalchuk, Oshie or Williams.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Not sure if I agree. And we really don't know what is going on behind the scenes. If DW has made a serious push for landing Duchene and/or Galchenyuk, I can see him being ready to move on. If we can land even one of those two (mainly Duchene), we are going to be ready to compete right away even if we lose both Jumbo and Patty.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Not sure if I agree. And we really don't know what is going on behind the scenes. If DW has made a serious push for landing Duchene and/or Galchenyuk, I can see him being ready to move on. If we can land even one of those two (mainly Duchene), we are going to be ready to compete right away even if we lose both Jumbo and Patty.

Again, you have to give up assets to acquire someone like Matt Duchene or Alex Galchenyuk and I highly doubt those assets will purely be futures. Hertl will be involved. Meanwhile you can keep Thornton and Marleau for nothing beyond cap space, which we will have plenty of.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Again, you have to give up assets to acquire someone like Matt Duchene or Alex Galchenyuk and I highly doubt those assets will purely be futures. Hertl will be involved. Meanwhile you can keep Thornton and Marleau for nothing beyond cap space, which we will have plenty of.

I mostly agree with this but there is enough flexibility out there that DW could move on if he wanted to going the Duchene or Galchenyuk. It would be a worse team but I could see them convincing themselves they could go that route and still be competitive.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Maybe. Maybe not. We don't know for sure. But if Duchene and/or Galchenyuk could be had they would make it a lot easier to transition from the loss of Patty and Jumbo. Hertl is probably the only player under 25 I would not move for Duchene. Anyone else is fair game. Including 1st round picks (this year or future).

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Maybe. Maybe not. We don't know for sure. But if Duchene and/or Galchenyuk could be had they would make it a lot easier to transition from the loss of Patty and Jumbo. Hertl is probably the only player under 25 I would not move for Duchene. Anyone else is fair game. Including 1st round picks (this year or future).

Hertl's injuries are a serious concern, not that Duchene is gold in that department either. Honestly, as much as I like Hertl, I'd kind of like to see him moved as I really expect his injuries to continue and possibly end up being career ending down the road. He just seems like his knee's are tissue paper.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Hertl's injuries are a serious concern, not that Duchene is gold in that department either. Honestly, as much as I like Hertl, I'd kind of like to see him moved as I really expect his injuries to continue and possibly end up being career ending down the road. He just seems like his knee's are tissue paper.

I love Hertl's style of play and his personality. But like you I am not confident he becomes our future #1C because of both his health issues as well as him not being able to score like a #1C.

I would prefer having Tavares over Duchene but I think that is going to cost an insanely large amount of assets.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Landeskog was my wet dream acquisition for the trade deadline last year, if he's actually available it might be worth selling the farm for him

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010

Would nice, but i cant see us getting either player without hertl or couture or both. if we want to see landy and chuck in teal.

perfect world braun meier tierney pics, maybe d prospect, just dont see it happening.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY

I'm pretty much with you on this. Love Hertl's game and his advanced stats are great too, but I'm starting to worry it won't lead to further offensive production. If that is the case we should trade him while his value is still high. I think his injuries have clearly stunted his development and this many serious knee injuries at this age is not something to ignore. After his rookie season I easily could have seen him being a top line forward regardless of who his linemates were. Now I just don't see him producing at a first line rate without a player like Thornton. Hope I'm wrong and he breaks out next season, but from looks of it, he's going to top out as a 20-25 goal scorer and maybe 50-55 points. Which is really solid, but not #1C numbers for a championship team IMO.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
I'm pretty much with you on this. Love Hertl's game and his advanced stats are great too, but I'm starting to worry it won't lead to further offensive production. If that is the case we should trade him while his value is still high. I think his injuries have clearly stunted his development and this many serious knee injuries at this age is not something to ignore. After his rookie season I easily could have seen him being a top line forward regardless of who his linemates were. Now I just don't see him producing at a first line rate without a player like Thornton. Hope I'm wrong and he breaks out next season, but from looks of it, he's going to top out as a 20-25 goal scorer and maybe 50-55 points. Which is really solid, but not #1C numbers for a championship team IMO.

Hertl won't be a #1 center so we should trade him. Makes sense. No one is worth keeping unless they have a chance to become a #1 center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad