Speculation: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
DeMelo is nhl-caliber who has gotten very little time. Wouldn't surprise me if a trade is in the works and he's getting showcase time at the expense of Schlemko.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
DeMelo is nhl-caliber who has gotten very little time. Wouldn't surprise me if a trade is in the works and he's getting showcase time at the expense of Schlemko.

I was thinking about this last night and I believe the problem with our power play is a lack of a QB. Burns is not a QB, and they seem to be running a somewhat QB less system since they really don't have anyone who can fill Boyle's roll anymore.

Perhaps the Sharks see this as well and are trying to move someone in order to move in someone who can QB the pp, though I can't think of who the hell they could afford to do that (both assets wise and cap wise). Honestly, if the Sharks could make one single improvement, a PP QB would likely have the biggest impact.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
I was thinking about this last night and I believe the problem with our power play is a lack of a QB. Burns is not a QB, and they seem to be running a somewhat QB less system since they really don't have anyone who can fill Boyle's roll anymore.

Perhaps the Sharks see this as well and are trying to move someone in order to move in someone who can QB the pp, though I can't think of who the hell they could afford to do that (both assets wise and cap wise). Honestly, if the Sharks could make one single improvement, a PP QB would likely have the biggest impact.

I'm not sure who would actually be available though? Thinking about bottom feeders trying to blow it up, Colorado's Barrie may come to mind?

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I'm not sure who would actually be available though? Thinking about bottom feeders trying to blow it up, Colorado's Barrie may come to mind?

Too expensive though, but yah he'd be a great buy low if they are stupid enough to sell. I guess maybe if we moved Dillon/Schlemko and Wingels or Ward we could make it work. Barrie is a right side guy though I think exclusively (not positive on that) so if it's Dillon going out Schlemko would need to shift to the left (not sure if he plays left).

Also it would make our cap going forward pretty damn rough, and we would almost certainly lose a d-man to Vegas.

Either way, someone that can distribute the puck on the powerplay, preferably a left side guy (as Burns is on the right).

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
They could always package DeMelo with one or two of the extra forwards and a pick for a pp qb. Then you won't have to worry about Meier going anywhere when Hertl returns.

Or even package multiple defenseman, though I find the depth a luxury.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
They could always package DeMelo with one or two of the extra forwards and a pick for a pp qb. Then you won't have to worry about Meier going anywhere when Hertl returns.

Or even package multiple defenseman, though I find the depth a luxury.

I could see a package of [Dillion, Schlemko, Martin, DeMelo] + [Goldobin, Labanc, O'Regan] + [Ward, Wingels, Donskoi] fetching a pretty solid return. Want to say that is pretty on par with what got us Burns, so I could expect a very strong LW to come back. Obviously a deal involving say Schlemko, Goldobin, Donskoi would yield a higher return than DeMelo, O'Regan, Nieto - but I could see all those pieces being in play for the right return.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Doubt we spend assets on a qb.

Deboer doesn't seem overly concerned with our PP. I mean when we'd see big dips with tmac you'd always hear about pp practice. We've had a lot of PP dips with this team and not a peep about it.

With hertl back I don't see a ton of needs. Maybe a scoring winger

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
When does the roster freeze end again? It's today right? Can't remember if it was noon or midnight.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I'd like the Sharks to give Heed a look in the NHL before going outside the organization. Sounds like the cuda PP runs through him.
He could be the QB the team is looking for.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
The 1st unit PP QB runs it off the half boards.

Has anyone considered that Peter DeBoer isn't the reason Schlemko has played for 5 different teams over the the past 3 seasons?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Has anyone considered that Peter DeBoer isn't the reason Schlemko has played for 5 different teams over the the past 3 seasons?

DeBoer isn't the reason Schlemko has played for five different teams in the past three seasons. That's pretty obvious. But if you're implying that him playing for that many teams in that amount of time is a reason why he's in the press box, there's no evidence to support that implication.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA

I was thinking about the fact the despite all his upside, no team has locked schlemko down before. He could have some culpability in that.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I'd like the Sharks to give Heed a look in the NHL before going outside the organization. Sounds like the cuda PP runs through him.
He could be the QB the team is looking for.

I agree. At least give him a shot before looking elsewhere. I think the problem is that none of the d-men on the roster are exempt from waivers. They have the cap space but not the roster spot.

I think that was mentioned before. I've wondered about that. But now that Nieto and now Schlemko have been healthy scratched as much as they have, I've also wondered about the Devils fans' complaints about DeBoer sending Larsson down and not giving him minutes. It was attributed to him not trusting rookies but maybe there was something else going on there as well.

Both Schlemko being traded and PDB's not playing certain players raise questions but unless we have inside information, all we can do is wonder.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
Good players that bounce around the league usually do so for a reason. But our insider who likes to create something out of nothing seems to think nothing is wrong

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I think that was mentioned before. I've wondered about that. But now that Nieto and now Schlemko have been healthy scratched as much as they have, I've also wondered about the Devils fans' complaints about DeBoer sending Larsson down and not giving him minutes. It was attributed to him not trusting rookies but maybe there was something else going on there as well.

Both Schlemko being traded and PDB's not playing certain players raise questions but unless we have inside information, all we can do is wonder.

I remember Devils fans mentioning that too...but DeBoer stuck w/ Hertl for a long time last season when he wasn't putting up points (despite playing well to be fair). DeBoer brought Tierney back up the moment Tierney "regained" his game. He also stuck with Donskoi and Tierney this season when they struggled. Finally, DeBoer gave Labanc and Meier a shot and has stuck w/ them. Even DeMelo, who is pretty much a rookie, is playing over Schlemko, who is 29 and has been in the league for much longer than DeMelo.

I think it's ridiculous that DeBoer is playing Haley over Nieto, but I think Nieto is the only young guy that DeBoer has benched for an inferior veteran player (DeBoer just doesn't like Nieto imo). I'd like to see Schlemko in over DeMelo as well, but I have a feeling there's a lot more to the story than DeBoer going off the rails.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Good players that bounce around the league usually do so for a reason. But our insider who likes to create something out of nothing seems to think nothing is wrong

Maybe they do and maybe they don't but so far it's only suspect reasoning for this particular instance. Kurz doesn't actually care to find out why. If he wants to make snarky remarks to his audience while making straw man arguments, that's his call but if you're going to point to 18 shots against Edmonton, you should probably point to the 26 shots allowed against Chicago who is much better. Yeah, they lost but they had won six in a row prior to that with Schlemko in the lineup. It's not a big deal given what his role on the team is and where it is during the season but I get tired of the weak supporting evidence and statements trying to justify it. It's not a good decision to hold Schlemko out of the lineup. It's just not a decision that will really impact games on a regular basis. No 3rd pairing guy really does during the season. It isn't until the playoffs that that matters.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Maybe they do and maybe they don't but so far it's only suspect reasoning for this particular instance. Kurz doesn't actually care to find out why. If he wants to make snarky remarks to his audience while making straw man arguments, that's his call but if you're going to point to 18 shots against Edmonton, you should probably point to the 26 shots allowed against Chicago who is much better. Yeah, they lost but they had won six in a row prior to that with Schlemko in the lineup. It's not a big deal given what his role on the team is and where it is during the season but I get tired of the weak supporting evidence and statements trying to justify it. It's not a good decision to hold Schlemko out of the lineup. It's just not a decision that will really impact games on a regular basis. No 3rd pairing guy really does during the season. It isn't until the playoffs that that matters.

Definitely agree with this...it'll be interesting to see what DeBoer does on Friday because the Sharks got destroyed yesterday, and DeMelo (along w/ Dillon) looked awful. So that's 2 games vs. 2 good teams in which the 3rd pairing has looked awful w/o Schlemko.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
All the 3rd pairing dmen are gonna play 65ish games. Just getting the Schlemko scratches out of the way early.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
Quick research shows that he should have been on the roster as the same time as the following current/former Sharks. Assuming the team does "character" research, seems like any of those issues would have been brought up.

Jim Vandermeer
Mikkel Boedker
Daniel Winnik
Ray Whitney
Raffi Torres
Thomas Greiss
Tye McGinn
Brenden Dillon
Jason Demers
Devin Setoguchi
Tyson Sexsmith
Tyler Kennedy

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I remember Devils fans mentioning that too...but DeBoer stuck w/ Hertl for a long time last season when he wasn't putting up points (despite playing well to be fair). DeBoer brought Tierney back up the moment Tierney "regained" his game. He also stuck with Donskoi and Tierney this season when they struggled. Finally, DeBoer gave Labanc and Meier a shot and has stuck w/ them. Even DeMelo, who is pretty much a rookie, is playing over Schlemko, who is 29 and has been in the league for much longer than DeMelo.

Right. Which is why Sharks fans wrote off what Devils fans said. It didn't line up with our experience of PDB. That's why I said maybe something else was going on and Larsson (and IIRC one or two other players) who had the problem with PDB just happened to be very young. But maybe he holds grudges over relatively minor things or something like that. It wasn't all the Devils' young players for that team either. That's why I said maybe something else was going on. And if it was, maybe something similar is going on now. (To be clear: even if something else was and is going on, it may be something most of us would be ok with if we knew what it was.)

I don't know that something was going on or that if it was something similar is going on in SJ. It's pure speculation (and really not even that bc I'm wondering about it). As is speculation about why Schlemko has gone through a few teams in a short period or implying that something is wrong with Schlemko bc of that.

I think it's ridiculous that DeBoer is playing Haley over Nieto, but I think Nieto is the only young guy that DeBoer has benched for an inferior veteran player (DeBoer just doesn't like Nieto imo). I'd like to see Schlemko in over DeMelo as well, but I have a feeling there's a lot more to the story than DeBoer going off the rails.

Right. And he didn't seem to like Wingels last season. That's what I wonder about. I'm not suggesting that I know what's going on with PDB or Schlemko or Nieto.

Last edited:

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

PDB has been more rookie-friendly than McClellan was. Labanc has ~20 games on NHL experience and is being used in all situation (PP, PK, OT, SO) and Tierney and Meier have gotten good minutes relative to experience/role.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
PDB has been more rookie-friendly than McClellan was. Labanc has ~20 games on NHL experience and is being used in all situation (PP, PK, OT, SO) and Tierney and Meier have gotten good minutes relative to experience/role.

Which is why I said "maybe there was something else going on there as well." Something else meaning that either it wasn't bc they were young or at least not just bc they were young.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Definitely agree with this...it'll be interesting to see what DeBoer does on Friday because the Sharks got destroyed yesterday, and DeMelo (along w/ Dillon) looked awful. So that's 2 games vs. 2 good teams in which the 3rd pairing has looked awful w/o Schlemko.

I don't think demelo looked awful. The whole defense got shelled.

Our best possession player 5v5 was Joel Ward. Likely due to limited min on the 4th line.

I saw demelo break up plays and get the puck to safety. We were pretty ineffectual at doing anything else as a team.

Personally I think schlemko would likely have a bigger impact on team performance. Demelo could likely outscore him but I'd suspect schlemko would have a greater impact on team GF% and I'd rather have that in the playoffs.

But I'd consider them as a pairing before doing anything. Although I doubt deboer wants an undersized mobile third pairing like that. He's in a position to experiment imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad