Speculation: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I think Deboer views Nieto and Wingels as vanilla players. By that I mean, they are passable in every area, but do not excel in any areas. Haley, Ward, Karlsson, Meier, Labanc, Tierney or whoever can all do at least one thing noticeably better, even if they sacrifice something in another area. So he's going to play the players he feels at least have the chance to make an impact play, over the guys who are just warm bodies.

Regarding Demelo and Schlemko, god knows.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Anyone think DW has kicked the tires on a Duchene or Landeskog deal?

I have little interest in Landeskog. But if we can land one of Duchene or McKinnon I would give up any of our prospects and combination of 1st and 2nd round picks over the next 2-3 years. Problem is that we would need to make cap room so that is going to be tough.

Only roster players we can part with (who have some cap moving) are Dillon, Schlemko, Wingels, Ward, Martin. Those are pretty crappy value wise if Duckene or McKinnon are coming back.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Right. And he didn't seem to like Wingels last season. That's what I wonder about. I'm not suggesting that I know what's going on with PDB or Schlemko or Nieto.

To be fair, the only reason I liked Wingels on the 4th line is because I was hoping that his physicality would be enough to keep Haley out of the lineup :laugh: I think Nieto has a lot more to offer than Wingels at this point given that Wingels is much older.

Personally I think schlemko would likely have a bigger impact on team performance. Demelo could likely outscore him but I'd suspect schlemko would have a greater impact on team GF% and I'd rather have that in the playoffs.

But I'd consider them as a pairing before doing anything. Although I doubt deboer wants an undersized mobile third pairing like that. He's in a position to experiment imo.

I think Schlemko is also a better partner for Dillon (on top of being an upgrade on DeMelo due to the offense that he brings). Unfortunately, I don't see Dillon being benched anytime soon...

I think Deboer views Nieto and Wingels as vanilla players. By that I mean, they are passable in every area, but do not excel in any areas. Haley, Ward, Karlsson, Meier, Labanc, Tierney or whoever can all do at least one thing noticeably better, even if they sacrifice something in another area. So he's going to play the players he feels at least have the chance to make an impact play, over the guys who are just warm bodies.

Wingels is definitely a vanilla player, but I disagree about Nieto...I don't see how he is a vanilla player at all. He's faster than most of those players you listed (just as an example of what makes him "better at something than the other guys").

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Which is why I said "maybe there was something else going on there as well." Something else meaning that either it wasn't bc they were young or at least not just bc they were young.

I was agreeing with you and citing examples.

My broader point is PDB's motivations seem to be mischaracterized on this board, and they seem to be more about issues with specific players than general predilections.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
To be fair, the only reason I liked Wingels on the 4th line is because I was hoping that his physicality would be enough to keep Haley out of the lineup :laugh: I think Nieto has a lot more to offer than Wingels at this point given that Wingels is much older. . . .

Wingels is definitely a vanilla player, but I disagree about Nieto...I don't see how he is a vanilla player at all. He's faster than most of those players you listed (just as an example of what makes him "better at something than the other guys").

I'd hoped the same. I don't hate Haley but I think other players have more potential so I'd rather see them play instead of Haley. I also agree about Nieto's speed.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I was agreeing with you and citing examples.

My broader point is PDB's motivations seem to be mischaracterized on this board, and they seem to be more about issues with specific players than general predilections.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I don't think we have enough information to say what PDB's issues are with any of the players so I don't know if they have something in common or if it's more specific to each player. I don't know what it is, though, and I don't think it's only that the players are young (though he may give veterans more of a pass when they do X - whatever it is that leads to being healthy scratched or played less, which may be more than one thing - but many coaches do that).

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
To be fair, the only reason I liked Wingels on the 4th line is because I was hoping that his physicality would be enough to keep Haley out of the lineup :laugh: I think Nieto has a lot more to offer than Wingels at this point given that Wingels is much older.

I think Schlemko is also a better partner for Dillon (on top of being an upgrade on DeMelo due to the offense that he brings). Unfortunately, I don't see Dillon being benched anytime soon...

I don't agree with Deboer about Nieto either, I just think that's how he views Nieto. I think the only way Nieto becomes a regular again is if he actually finds out what Deboer expects of him. I don't know what it is, I sure hope it's not top 6 level scoring.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I'd hoped the same. I don't hate Haley but I think other players have more potential so I'd rather see them play instead of Haley. I also agree about Nieto's speed.

Yep, Haley is fine as a fill-in with a last-minute injury...otherwise, with quite a few better players around, he should be sitting in the pressbox on a nightly basis collecting his NHL paycheck.

I don't agree with Deboer about Nieto either, I just think that's how he views Nieto. I think the only way Nieto becomes a regular again is if he actually finds out what Deboer expects of him. I don't know what it is, I sure hope it's not top 6 level scoring.

Fair enough...doubt Nieto ever figures it out, and I am pretty sure he'll be gone by the TDL (or the offseason at the latest).

Nieto love is so bizarre.

Almost as bizarre as DeBoer hating Nieto and playing Haley instead...

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm kinda over Nieto. He's a solid checking line forward that I like watching play but his appearance in the lineuo doesn't mean much.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Ironically you've pinpointed the most important difference between them without meaning to: you can only get hit if you have the puck and you can only throw a hit if you don't.

and yet they are separated by 1 percent in fenwick lol.

i know historically nieto has been a possession driver.. just thought it was funny

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
yeah- i honestly can't really tell the difference between him and karlsson. those 2 are pretty interchangeable 4th liners for us.

Yea, I really have to put in some effort distinguishing some of those guys when they're on the ice. Karlsson basically plays a better version of Wingels game and Nieto's quicker but less physical and not as strong on the boards.

He's either gonna end up become an NHL journeyman or make a career in Europe for a few years and maybe he'll develop some other skills and come back.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
Just by eye, I'd rank Karlsson>Wingels>Nieto>Haley, with Wingels and Nieto the closest as far as being interchangeable. It's hard to say about that though, since Nieto AND Wingels have played so little this year, maybe I'm letting nostalgia creep in there on my judgement.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
yeah- i honestly can't really tell the difference between him and karlsson. those 2 are pretty interchangeable 4th liners for us.

Really? Karlsson can (and has) score some clutch goals for the Sharks. I like nieto but I don't know if he's ever scored a "clutch" goal for the Sharks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad