Speculation: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Haha so let me get this straight: DeBoer is scratching Schlemko because he thinks DeMelo gives them a better chance to win is an "incredible leap of logic" but DeBoer is scratching Schlemko as part of some sort of strategy to trick Las Vegas into not claiming him in the expansion draft is...reasonable? DeBoer is scratching Matt Nieto because of an unreported mental illness that prevents Nieto from playing in games but doesn't keep him out of practice is...sane?

Uhh no. Learn how to read.

The mental thing with nieto was always caveated with a maybe or maybe and unreported injury. And the Vegas thing was said as "I can envision it"

You labeled yours as correct cuz it was the simplest.

I don't agree with either but at least they posted it as a could be rather than a certainty only to again call the coach an idiot.

Cuz in reality demelo didn't sniff the ice for a long time. So it's kind of a leap of logic to assume that deboer thinks that considering schlemkos performance up to that point.

As far as nieto vs Haley. I honestly don't know why he's not getting more games. Nieto played 67 games last year vs 16 for Haley. Seems a complete 180 for him to think Haley has improved that much. So again your explanation isn't the simplest, just the most surface level explanation because your ignorant of a lot of information but aren't willing to admit it.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
And yet we're still winning with Haley and DeMelo switching in and out with Schlemko/Nieto because they're all competent in the roles they're in. They're depth guys. It's not the end of the world.

We're winning games and the possession stats really don't suffer by much, if at all, with any of these guys coming in or out of the lineups. This whole thing is basically a non-issue.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
As far as nieto vs Haley. I honestly don't know why he's not getting more games. Nieto played 67 games last year vs 16 for Haley. Seems a complete 180 for him to think Haley has improved that much. So again your explanation isn't the simplest, just the most surface level explanation because your ignorant of a lot of information but aren't willing to admit it.

For me, what's interesting is that it seems like both Wingels and Nieto sat a fair amount last season whereas this season, it's mostly Nieto. Last season, Karlsson played 65 games (but was out a lot at the beginning of the season due to injury so most of those weren't healthy scratches), Nieto played 67 games and Wingels played 68 games. So it seems like PDB rotated who got scratched. Whereas this season, it's mostly Nieto. I wonder what's going on with that.

I'm fine with Haley only bc Brown played 44 games for the Sharks last season and they still did well. Upside is that the players get used to playing with various line combos and you may need to switch things up in the playoffs. Downside is that the lines don't always get a chance to develop chemistry. If Haley plays in the playoffs (unless there are a few injuries, i.e., beyond what you'd expect in the playoffs), I'll scream at that point.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015

This isn't hard to figure out either. DeBoer very likely believes his team needs at least one "tough guy" in the lineup, particularly during the regular season, to be successful. Last year that was Mike Brown who played 44 games for us before he was claimed on waivers by the Habs. This year the only option in that department is Haley so he's playing that role.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
For me, what's interesting is that it seems like both Wingels and Nieto sat a fair amount last season whereas this season, it's mostly Nieto. Last season, Karlsson played 65 games (but was out a lot at the beginning of the season due to injury so most of those weren't healthy scratches), Nieto played 67 games and Wingels played 68 games. So it seems like PDB rotated who got scratched. Whereas this season, it's mostly Nieto. I wonder what's going on with that.

I'm fine with Haley only bc Brown played 44 games for the Sharks last season and they still did well. Upside is that the players get used to playing with various line combos and you may need to switch things up in the playoffs. Downside is that the lines don't always get a chance to develop chemistry. If Haley plays in the playoffs (unless there are a few injuries, i.e., beyond what you'd expect in the playoffs), I'll scream at that point.

IIRC Nieto was injured for a solid chunk of last year. I do find this one hard to figure out though because I thought Wingels was clearly the one in the doghouse last year and that seems to not be the case anymore.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
This isn't hard to figure out either. DeBoer very likely believes his team needs at least one "tough guy" in the lineup, particularly during the regular season, to be successful. Last year that was Mike Brown who played 44 games for us before he was claimed on waivers by the Habs. This year the only option in that department is Haley so he's playing that role.

He has been quoted as believing fighting is still a thing, but the question is moreso why only nieto that sits for him?

I say given what we know about the org and injuries and that hertl is LTIR that there's a chance he's banged up for some reason.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
He has been quoted as believing fighting is still a thing, but the question is moreso why only nieto that sits for him?

I say given what we know about the org and injuries and that hertl is LTIR that there's a chance he's banged up for some reason.

Nieto sits because DeBoer views Ward and Karlsson as clearly better than him (not entirely unreasonable) and needs Wingels to play center with Hertl out (very weird to me, as Karlsson has more recent and more high-level experience playing center).

Oilers game kinda throws a wrench in the latter though as he was okay just having Haley and Ward tag-team center.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Nieto sits because DeBoer views Ward and Karlsson as clearly better than him (not entirely unreasonable) and needs Wingels to play center with Hertl out (very weird to me, as Karlsson has more recent and more high-level experience playing center).

Oilers game kinda throws a wrench in the latter though as he was okay just having Haley and Ward tag-team center.

Karlsson and Ward are probably better.

I think during the season he just has the fourth line out there to not get destroyed so he's not overly concerned who is down there.

Which I certainly don't agree with, but his lines say otherwise.

As many have pointed out we could have any one of these 4th lines in the playoffs in no rank order

Wingels-tierney-nieto
Tierney-carp-karlsson
Karlsson-carp-goldobin
Ward-tierney-nieto
Ward-carp-karlsson

The list goes on. I think you can likely just pencil in one of wingels or karlsson and tierney. So dropping Haley there in the playoffs seems like a waste. Guess we will see.

But if he lines up like he has been the playoffs I will definitely question his judgement.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
IIRC Nieto was injured for a solid chunk of last year. I do find this one hard to figure out though because I thought Wingels was clearly the one in the doghouse last year and that seems to not be the case anymore.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure in the pre-season I thought they should trade Wingels if PDB wasn't going to play him. I wonder what happened to change his mind. I'd guess the "center" role (vs Nieto) if Karlsson weren't playing but PDB was sitting Nieto even when Hertl was in the lineup and they can play Karlsson at center.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
What makes the Demelo over Schlemko thing even more bizarre is that DeBoer had Demelo riding the pine, behind a much worse player in Polak, during the playoffs.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Also DeMelo is already 23 years old and has never been anything close to a top player at any level of hockey. He's frankly not going to get any better and not worth sacrificing wins to develop at the NHL level. There's never going to be a need for DeMelo on this team.

Where are these wins we've sacrificed?

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
"Showcasing" players for a trade is something that happens far more often in fans' imaginations than it does in real life. Any teams potentially looking to trade for (or take in the expansion draft) Martin or Dillon have more than enough information to go off of at this point in those players' careers. And DeMelo has zero trade value and is never going to accrue any regardless of how many games he plays. Again, if the goal is to play DeMelo in order to make him eligible for expansion draft exposure it should be Martin or Dillon sitting, not Schlemko.

We don't know this has anything to do with practice. Seems like fans on here will come up with any theory necessary to keep from admitting DeBoer is making some terrible lineup decisions this season.

Funny how you claim people will come up with any excuse for "terrible lineup decisions" yet you seem to come up with any reason to label something as a terrible lineup decision. If we're winning, how are they terrible lineup decisions. I could see if we were on a 5 games losing streak but check the damn record and standings and quit your ridiculous agenda already. Deboer is giving different people minutes, if he wasn't I'm sure you'd be complaining about him not playing rookies, or some other made up drama to hate on the coach. At what point does your agenda simply become trolling?

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
No I don't know for sure why DeBoer is scratching Schlemko. But I know to recognize a pattern when I see one. So far this season DeBoer has scratched Donskoi, Ward and Nieto in order to play Micheal Haley on numerous occasions. It's way more likely this Schlemko thing is the latest in a long line of poor lineup decisions rather than some strange intrateam feud over practice or whatever.

Donskoi responded with 4 points in 3 games, Ward has been awful and Nieto is Nieto, nothing to really discuss here. As much as you hate Haley, he's been a solid 4th liner this year. You're arguing for days about things that mean very little. When Deboer starts sitting Joe Thornton while he is in the middle of a 10 game point streak, that would be worth debating.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Wingels, Nieto, and Schlemko are all sitting it looks like? Or is that just from last game?

Sounds like a no problem no change kind of thing.

Also, Hertl skating. Nice. I'm thinking he had a knee sprain so I'm expecting him back 2nd or 3rd week of January.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Man this is turning to become more and more of a head scratcher. And I am not buying that excuse from PDB. That is like saying we won't play Hertl when we get him back because we are winning without him. I just have that feeling that the organization has enough faith in Mueller or Heed as our #7D that they feel that Schlemko could be traded to get us a scoring forward that we have been looking for.

With how Meier and Labanc have played I don't think we have any pressing need at F. More so when we get Hertl back. Just need to be healthy and go with the roster as it is.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It's well past time to fire DeBoer.

You don't fire a coach when your team is leading a division and is 7-3-0 in its last 10 games. Also, this is the same coach that led us to our 1st SC Finals.

There is something else going on in the background that is keeping us from playing Schlemko.

He is the best 3rd pairing defenseman they've had in so long. Ridiculous.

I agree. Benching him makes little sense unless there is something else going on in the background. He is by far the best D-man between him, Dillon and DeMelo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad