Speculation: Sharks Roster Discussion Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I. like. our. team..............

Me too.

Have you noticed any analytical posts or complaining from me at all? No, because I think we have a cup caliber team and barring things we can't trade for (health, energy level) we have as good a chance as any team in the league of winning it.

There really isn't anything worth complaining about right now.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Rabble! Rabble, rabble!

200_s.gif

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Me too.

Have you noticed any analytical posts or complaining from me at all? No, because I think we have a cup caliber team and barring things we can't trade for (health, energy level) we have as good a chance as any team in the league of winning it.

There really isn't anything worth complaining about right now.

The scratching of Schlemko is worth complaining about just because there is no real explanation given. Not in the sense that it's some huge team-altering decision. Just that it causes confusion and I want to know damn it! Dell should be given more starts too but that doesn't mean much towards them winning games either. I like this team too but I'll still question peculiar decisions especially when there isn't any logical reason behind it given. I mean, there could be something logical behind it and I'd probably be fine with it but until that is given, it's just really odd. lol

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
The scratching of Schlemko is worth complaining about just because there is no real explanation given. Not in the sense that it's some huge team-altering decision. Just that it causes confusion and I want to know damn it! Dell should be given more starts too but that doesn't mean much towards them winning games either. I like this team too but I'll still question peculiar decisions especially when there isn't any logical reason behind it given. I mean, there could be something logical behind it and I'd probably be fine with it but until that is given, it's just really odd. lol

I guess the question is, does that warrant commenting that the coaching decision seems odd or calling the coach (and by extension anyone supports the decion) an idiot?

I think it was Madden who said winning is a good deoderant. It's just unfortunate things stink as badly as they do on this forum despite how well our team is playing.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
One thing I like seeing is that we have a much more solidified core and the FF numbers all the way down the lineup are good. Our worst is 49%. Last year guys were cycling through or seeing significant time with 45% and below.

A difference is the uber dominant top line of course. Which was extremely fun to watch but even with hertl won't repeat that this year.

A depth guy like karlsson is very good at driving pucks toward the net which is nice to see.

One thing I'd like to see is couture seeing the bulk of ES TOI. But you run into an issue as the coach.

A. Your captain isn't exactly effective with couture
B. That would force a rookie and Ward to see top line minutes.

But honestly, couture has been one of our best, and he's doing it with a rookie, a new player to the system and an offensive non entity in Ward.

57% GF vs 60 for jumbo without our best goal scorer and 100 less minutes of burns. Give this guy the ice time he deserves imo.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose

My opinion is that some things are best left in the locker room. Not everything should be explained to the media and fans.

I believe a main reason Toronto has trouble putting together a winning team is that everything there is so transparent. It causes a multitude of problems. I'm glad the Sharks are able to keep things "in house".

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
One thing I like seeing is that we have a much more solidified core and the FF numbers all the way down the lineup are good. Our worst is 49%. Last year guys were cycling through or seeing significant time with 45% and below.

A difference is the uber dominant top line of course. Which was extremely fun to watch but even with hertl won't repeat that this year.

A depth guy like karlsson is very good at driving pucks toward the net which is nice to see.

One thing I'd like to see is couture seeing the bulk of ES TOI. But you run into an issue as the coach.

A. Your captain isn't exactly effective with couture
B. That would force a rookie and Ward to see top line minutes.

But honestly, couture has been one of our best, and he's doing it with a rookie, a new player to the system and an offensive non entity in Ward.

57% GF vs 60 for jumbo without our best goal scorer and 100 less minutes of burns. Give this guy the ice time he deserves imo.

One potential problem with Couture getting the most ES TOI is that his corsis with d-men besides Burns and Martin aren't good: Burns 55.5 cf%, 75 gf%; Martin 56.4, 57.1; Braun 46.2, 33.3; Vlasic 47.4, 44.4; Dillon 49.8, 40.0; Schlemko 47.8. 66.7; Demelo 44.1, 49.92.

Part of that is that Couture struggled at the beginning of the season, as did his linemates. Then he's had different linemates. So it may work itself out. He did well corsi-wise with all our d-men (even Polak at 50.6% cf%) last season. He did well at gf% with all the d-men but Polak.

But this season, Thornton does well with all the d-men except Martin at cf% and Dillon at gf%.. (CF% = 63.2 with Dillon at high end - 50.7 with Braun at low end, Martin is 48.4. GF% is lowest with Dillon at 0 and Schlemko at 50%; Braun/Vlasic ~55-60; Burns/Martin ~60).

There's also the issue of having him play more minutes than the current top line, like you mentioned. I don't know about the politics in the room but at some point, we need to start transitioning to Thornton centering the 2nd line anyway. The stickiness of the issue is compounded bc the top line has been playing well since Marleau was moved up there so PDB can't say that they suck so deserve less playing time. That's probably even a bigger morale problem bc it's a contract year for Thornton and Marleau so they will want to maximize their playing time and points.

Edit to add: Carpenter leads all forwards in the NHL with over 25 min played in CF% with 64.0. I'm sure the small sample size has something to do with that but it was cool to see.

Last edited:

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
One potential problem with Couture getting the most ES TOI is that his corsis with d-men besides Burns and Martin aren't good: Burns 55.5 cf%, 75 gf%; Martin 56.4, 57.1; Braun 46.2, 33.3; Vlasic 47.4, 44.4; Dillon 49.8, 40.0; Schlemko 47.8. 66.7; Demelo 44.1, 49.92.

Part of that is that Couture struggled at the beginning of the season, as did his linemates. Then he's had different linemates. So it may work itself out. He did well corsi-wise with all our d-men (even Polak at 50.6% cf%) last season. He did well at gf% with all the d-men but Polak.

But this season, Thornton does well with all the d-men except Martin at cf% and Dillon at gf%.. (CF% = 63.2 with Dillon at high end - 50.7 with Braun at low end, Martin is 48.4. GF% is lowest with Dillon at 0 and Schlemko at 50%; Braun/Vlasic ~55-60; Burns/Martin ~60).

There's also the issue of having him play more minutes than the current top line, like you mentioned. I don't know about the politics in the room but at some point, we need to start transitioning to Thornton centering the 2nd line anyway. The stickiness of the issue is compounded bc the top line has been playing well since Marleau was moved up there so PDB can't say that they suck so deserve less playing time. That's probably even a bigger morale problem bc it's a contract year for Thornton and Marleau so they will want to maximize their playing time and points.

Edit to add: Carpenter leads all forwards in the NHL with over 25 min played in CF% with 64.0. I'm sure the small sample size has something to do with that but it was cool to see.

its a possible issue, but couture for a while in the beginning of the season was getting shelled for some reason. probabyl due to donskoi not being donskoi and cycling nieto, ward and boedker through as well

just a thought i keep having when i watch the team

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
My opinion is that some things are best left in the locker room. Not everything should be explained to the media and fans.

I believe a main reason Toronto has trouble putting together a winning team is that everything there is so transparent. It causes a multitude of problems. I'm glad the Sharks are able to keep things "in house".

Maybe but that to me just means that you have to accept the fact that people are going to complain about not knowing such things and how it impacts the team. That's just how people are going to be when it comes to this stuff. I don't disagree that some things ought to be left in house but that explanation doesn't answer anything either.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013

I can envision it as a deliberate smoke and mirrors campaign by the team to engender some doubt about drafting schlemko from us in the expansion draft. If they can't or won't protect Schlemko throwing some mystery into the pot might change their target to someone else we could better afford to lose (especially if LV scouts were in attendance the evenings of the scratches).

For démêlo to count as one of the exposed d-men, he needs about 17 more games. This would only matter if he is traded otherwise we have Dillon or Martin to check that box for us ( or schlemko if they don't protect him).

If they get Haley 33 more games, and extend him a year, he could be our second exposed fwd (with Ward) to meet the expansion draft rules. It would be easy to meet this by extending one of Nieto Wingels or Karlsson before the draft. So I doubt Haley is being given the games for draft rules purposes.

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
I can envision it as a deliberate smoke and mirrors campaign by the team to engender some doubt about drafting schlemko from us in the expansion draft. If they can't or won't protect Schlemko throwing some mystery into the pot might change their target to someone else we could better afford to lose (especially if LV scouts were in attendance the evenings of the scratches).

Good lord, you guys need to stop inventing elaborate eleven-dimensional chess schemes to explain some of these scratches. The simplest explanation is almost always the correct one: DeBoer doesn't think Schlemko and Nieto give the Sharks as great a chance to win a DeMelo and Haley.

Because he's an idiot.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Good lord, you guys need to stop inventing elaborate eleven-dimensional chess schemes to explain some of these scratches. The simplest explanation is almost always the correct one: DeBoer doesn't think Schlemko and Nieto give the Sharks as great a chance to win a DeMelo and Haley.

Because he's an idiot.

His moves may be puzzling to me, but I don't yet conclude he is an idiot. (I've doubted DW's sanity a few times over the years on some of the signings he has made, cough, cough BURISH, cough. Lately, he has been making reasonable moves so I no longer think DW is stupid. I still don't trust him fully not to do something stupid, but that is not the same thing.)

Deboer is not a bad coach, nor is he an idiot. He may do things we don't understand nor agree with, but that just proves he is a different person than we are (assuming we HF board fans all agree with each other, all the time......yea right).

Merry Christmas to all, hope you can be with the ones you want.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

Because he's an idiot.

Why can't you just stop before you get to the bolded? All you do is attack, bash, and complain.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

Because he's an idiot.

Idiot savant if anything.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
His moves may be puzzling to me, but I don't yet conclude he is an idiot. (I've doubted DW's sanity a few times over the years on some of the signings he has made, cough, cough BURISH, cough. Lately, he has been making reasonable moves so I no longer think DW is stupid. I still don't trust him fully not to do something stupid, but that is not the same thing.)

Deboer is not a bad coach, nor is he an idiot. He may do things we don't understand nor agree with, but that just proves he is a different person than we are (assuming we HF board fans all agree with each other, all the time......yea right).

Merry Christmas to all, hope you can be with the ones you want.

Yea burish was an NHL signing. Haley has always been on a two way. It's apples and oranges to me.

Sideshow needs a jump to conclusions mat. The leaps of logic are incredible

Sideshow Raheem

Dec 22, 2015
Sideshow needs a jump to conclusions mat. The leaps of logic are incredible

Haha so let me get this straight: DeBoer is scratching Schlemko because he thinks DeMelo gives them a better chance to win is an "incredible leap of logic" but DeBoer is scratching Schlemko as part of some sort of strategy to trick Las Vegas into not claiming him in the expansion draft is...reasonable? DeBoer is scratching Matt Nieto because of an unreported mental illness that prevents Nieto from playing in games but doesn't keep him out of practice is...sane?

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
And yet we're still winning with Haley and DeMelo switching in and out with Schlemko/Nieto because they're all competent in the roles they're in. They're depth guys. It's not the end of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad