Recalled/Assigned: Sharks Recalls 2015-16 Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Yeah, and it was a very smart move to move him while he still had value. But I didn't follow prospects much back then, so for all I know the Sharks moved him even though they considered him a good prospect and we got 'lucky', I guess, that he busted so hard.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah, and it was a very smart move to move him while he still had value. But I didn't follow prospects much back then, so for all I know the Sharks moved him even though they considered him a good prospect and we got 'lucky', I guess, that he busted so hard.

I think they'd move Mueller if a Boyle-like player became available this off-season to them. I don't think they'd move Mueller for a secondary or tertiary level player though. They have plenty of other assets to acquire those types of players that they can justify continuing to take their shot with a developing d-man pick.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think they'd move Mueller if a Boyle-like player became available this off-season to them. I don't think they'd move Mueller for a secondary or tertiary level player though. They have plenty of other assets to acquire those types of players that they can justify continuing to take their shot with a developing d-man pick.

Right, and that's a fair take. But if you can get anyone with decent value, IMO you use Mueller as trade bait. It all comes down to how you feel about Mueller. I feel he's Wishart, Doherty, Petrecki, etc.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Right, and that's a fair take. But if you can get anyone with decent value, IMO you use Mueller as trade bait. It all comes down to how you feel about Mueller. I feel he's Wishart, Doherty, Petrecki, etc.

I guess it depends on how you feel he is those three but Petrecki and Doherty just didn't have the skating. I don't remember much about Wishart so I can't really say but Mueller seems to be a pretty good skater with some pretty decent stick skills and at least the mentality of a poised player. I think he has more of the tools needed to succeed than those guys did and may do so but it's going to take some time. And I know people here may not want to take that time and I know he likely tops out in the middle pairing at best but I wouldn't call him a bust or cut bait with him unless the deal was something like acquiring a top-pairing level d-man or a young forward or d-man in the 24-28 range with term that's maybe at the middle level with room to grow.

He may not have deserved but he's already seen more NHL time than all three of them combined and while he obviously needs seasoning, he has shown some flashes where you can see him getting to a point where he could be comfortable in the NHL and not be a liability or even succeed at the middle or bottom pairing. Still wouldn't be bad for where he was picked and for the team that picked him since they don't succeed much drafting d-men early.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I guess it depends on how you feel he is those three but Petrecki and Doherty just didn't have the skating. I don't remember much about Wishart so I can't really say but Mueller seems to be a pretty good skater with some pretty decent stick skills and at least the mentality of a poised player. I think he has more of the tools needed to succeed than those guys did and may do so but it's going to take some time. And I know people here may not want to take that time and I know he likely tops out in the middle pairing at best but I wouldn't call him a bust or cut bait with him unless the deal was something like acquiring a top-pairing level d-man or a young forward or d-man in the 24-28 range with term that's maybe at the middle level with room to grow.

He may not have deserved but he's already seen more NHL time than all three of them combined and while he obviously needs seasoning, he has shown some flashes where you can see him getting to a point where he could be comfortable in the NHL and not be a liability or even succeed at the middle or bottom pairing. Still wouldn't be bad for where he was picked and for the team that picked him since they don't succeed much drafting d-men early.

Petrecki was a good skater IIRC. It was all mental with him, which I expect will end up being Mueller's problem.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Petrecki was a good skater IIRC. It was all mental with him, which I expect will end up being Mueller's problem.

I don't know. Petrecki's mental issues had a lot to do with discipline. I don't think that's an issue for Mueller but the other mental aspects of decision-making is always a concern for prospects. I just don't see anything from Mueller that makes me believe he won't get it in time. But if he hasn't gotten it or shown some noticeable progress in two years, yeah it's time to look into moving him for something you can use.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Petrecki was a good skater. But his mental thing was his very poor hockey sense, combined with poor positioning and over-aggressiveness.

By all accounts Mueller has good hockey sense and positioning. It is just a matter of his confidence.

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
Petrecki had an IQ problem and he relied too much on his physique at lower levels, he never expanded his game, thought he was going to be able to Douglas Murray everyone with a much smaller size.

Also Roy Sommer sucks and he ruins all defensemen.

Last edited:

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Petrecki was a good skater. But his mental thing was his very poor hockey sense, combined with poor positioning and over-aggressiveness.

By all accounts Mueller has good hockey sense and positioning. It is just a matter of his confidence.

By all accounts he actually has been making some dumb mistakes and getting overrun in his own end. Also don't mistake straight line speed for good skating. Elite skating would be like karlsson/doughty. Good to great would be like burns or vlasic. The tight turns, breaking out with the puck on your stick, straddling the blue line to generate offense.

Also what defenseman doesn't play with one hand at times? His hands are glued to his stick. That I would chalk up to confidence. But making the reads, generating a breakout. That's mental and right now he seems lacking. Is it enough to call him a bust? No, but based on his play in junior I don't see him blossoming past a #5 guy. All the evidence imo points to his value being highest right now.

A. We have 0 track record in the first round with defenseman
B. Mueller never played like an elite top pairing in junior
C. His play in the NHL is full of mistakes with no flashes of anything offensive.
D. His play in the AHL was arguably worse.

Granted I hear he is starting to play better but better is relative and to me he will not ever be a top pairing guy so it's not worth it to keep him. Agreed that I wouldn't just drop him but I def wouldn't hold onto him as long as we did petreki or Doherty.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
By all accounts he actually has been making some dumb mistakes and getting overrun in his own end. Also don't mistake straight line speed for good skating. Elite skating would be like karlsson/doughty. Good to great would be like burns or vlasic. The tight turns, breaking out with the puck on your stick, straddling the blue line to generate offense.

Also what defenseman doesn't play with one hand at times? His hands are glued to his stick. That I would chalk up to confidence. But making the reads, generating a breakout. That's mental and right now he seems lacking. Is it enough to call him a bust? No, but based on his play in junior I don't see him blossoming past a #5 guy. All the evidence imo points to his value being highest right now.

A. We have 0 track record in the first round with defenseman
B. Mueller never played like an elite top pairing in junior
C. His play in the NHL is full of mistakes with no flashes of anything offensive.
D. His play in the AHL was arguably worse.

Granted I hear he is starting to play better but better is relative and to me he will not ever be a top pairing guy so it's not worth it to keep him. Agreed that I wouldn't just drop him but I def wouldn't hold onto him as long as we did petreki or Doherty.

What I mean is that in juniors, Mueller was noted for having great skating and good hockey sense. Petrecki was never really noted for that.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
What I mean is that in juniors, Mueller was noted for having great skating and good hockey sense. Petrecki was never really noted for that.

Fair enough. I wish scouts were more descriptive. A slower guy might have elite edge work that makes him dynamic. A fast guy might turn like a bus. The distinction isn't made.

What I see when I watch mueller is a fast skater with really good strides. He can get around the rink no problem. But that's where it ends. To me Braun is a much better skater overall and he's low end top 4 skating wise to my eye.

But hey I'm no scout so whatever.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Actually, Mueller's big problem right now is his decision-making. It's not that he doesn't see options, he just takes too long considering them and then doesn't even take the optimal one.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area

I would love the Sharks to use Mueller as part of a package to get Kadri from the Leafs. Apparently they need D prospects that project as top 4, which is exactly what we have in Mueller. Kadri would be perfect for us. Either leave Couture where he is, and have Kadri center the 2nd line with Marleau back at LW, or re-unite Couture with Marleau, and have Kadri replace Couture as the #3C. Either way would work much better than leaving Marleau at center, and Kadri is only 25, so his age fits in great with our youth core.

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
Mueller has been recalled again.

I'm surprised that for as unimpressive as he has been, he keeps getting recalled.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Mueller has been recalled again.

I'm surprised that for as unimpressive as he has been, he keeps getting recalled.

Sending him down for Sunday's game gave him some ice time after sitting for the last two Sharks games.

Dillon may not be 100% yet.

The team is 3000+ miles from their affiliate for first two of 5 game road trip.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Paul Gackle @GackleReport
#SJSharks have recalled Barclay Goodrow from @sjbarracuda

I thought Smith had earned a call up but this works. Hopefully Goodrow will get to play tomorrow sending Brown back to the press box.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Paul Gackle @GackleReport
#SJSharks have recalled Barclay Goodrow from @sjbarracuda

I thought Smith had earned a call up but this works. Hopefully Goodrow will get to play tomorrow sending Brown back to the press box.

Awesome! Goodrow definitely has earned another shot. Hopefully he plays instead of Brown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad